Paphos Villages: Letymbou
The Heroes Monument honours the war dead of the village:
The heroes’ monument is situated near the main entrance of the village.
It is a very modest monument dedicated to the heroes of the village. On a cenotaph that is placed on the monument, lies the figure of a Spartan hero. Above this, there is a small statue of Liberty with its wings wide open. It seems like covering the entire monument with its imposingness. Behind the statue and on a wall built with small bricks, there are four chalcographies of the heroes:
1. Andreas Argyrou
2. Andreas Lardos
3. Andreas Chrysostomou
4. Sotiris Maratheftis
Andreas Argyrou was a corporal in the Cypriot army. He served in the rifle of Polemi. He was burnt alive during the battles of Massoura-Kokkines by the bombs napalm, in 8 August 1964.
Andreas Lardos was a teacher. He served in the Sanitary Corp. He also died on 8 August 1964 when the hospital of Pachiamos was bombed by the Turks.
Andreas Chrysostomou was a motor mechanic and cousin of Andreas Lardos. He also joined the Sanitary Corp and died on 8 August 1964 when the hospital of Pachiamos was bombed by the Turks.
Sotiris Maratheftis was a reserve officer in the Cypriot army during the Turkish invasion, the summer of 1974. He fought heroically and died during the battles in Mia Milia, on 14 August 1974.
If you are looking for a traditional church, look no further than Church #3.
Church #3 - side view
This is The Church of Saint Kirikos and Ioulitis.
The old church of Saint Kirikos and Ioulitis is a beautiful ecclesiastic building. It is situated southeastern of the village.
It is a cruciform church with a dome and it is dated back to the 12th century but many interventions have been made, mainly during the late 15th century. There are few wall paintings from the 12th century, but the majority of them are dated in the 15th century. During a restoration, which took place 10 years ago, some wall paintings were found to have the date of their creation.
The church is stone made and it is perfectly restored. It is placed under the surface of the ground, for about 1,5 meters. The yard is relatively big and it has fencing. On the southeast the old wall is preserved but on the northwest there is a baluster. Before the big earthquake of 1954, there was also a big front door (xoporti) with an arch. The bell tower is stone made and it was built in 1950.
Inside the church there are old wall paintings. Some of them have some damage due to humidity. The iconostasis is made of marble and the portable icons that frame it, are dated back in 1919. Above the iconostasis, there is a second and narrower zone of miniatures of the Apostles. The only psalter of the church is simple and wooden. There is no gallery and the church is flat on the inside.
The feast of Saint Kirikos and Ioulitis is on 15th July and it is celebrated with a big feast in the presence of the eparch of Paphos.
A Closer Look at Letymbou
While scouring the landscape looking for other churches, we took the opportunity to photograph Letymbou itself.
The community of Letymbou is situated in the Paphos district ,in the geographic region of the Ampeloxorion(vine villages) about 14,5 km on the northeast of the city of Paphos .
Letymbou is built in an average elevation of 380 m.The hilly scenery of the village is partitioned by the watercourse of the river Ezousas.
The community has an average annual raining of about 620 millimeters and in the area there are vines (varieties of wine making) ,citrus trees ,almond trees ,fruit tress (apple,pear,golden apple and peach trees),olive trees ,carob trees ,cereals, use plants, weed and few vegetables.
From a transport view, Letymbou is connected with the village Kourdaka in the east (about 3, 5 km) with the village Pittargou in the south east (about 3 km) and with the village Kallepia in the south west (about 2 km).
A Typical Street
The roads of Letymbou are quite narrow in places, but we had no trouble navigating in our Pajero.