The Akamas By Car

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Akamas By Car

Post by Dominic »

Nothing beats exploring the Akamas by car. A decent 4x4 can take you to places you would never normally find on foot, and the aircon can be a real life-saver. Some routes into the Akamas are bumpier than others. In this blog take a relatively bump free route which would suite the more cautious amongst you.

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
William Morris

Re: The Akamas By Car

Post by William Morris »

I always take a drive out that way, every time we visit. Somedays, you never see another sole, so peaceful. We cut across to Parodes, across the farm tracks, stop for a picnic in amongst the vines. Drop down into the valley to take a walk.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was surprised how busy the beach was. The only other time we have seen a beach that busy before was on Green Day. This reminds me, I want to find a decent kite before next year's Green Day. The kite we bought for this year's event was woeful.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:10 pm I was surprised how busy the beach was. The only other time we have seen a beach that busy before was on Green Day. This reminds me, I want to find a decent kite before next year's Green Day. The kite we bought for this year's event was woeful.
Go for it :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

That beach is always busy in late July and most of August, as Cypriots camp there in their hundreds, in fact, I camped out with my Cypriot family many years ago, camping, well not for me too itchy.
Jim.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Nice - must try that back path up behind the gorge soon - never done it.

We like proper Lara bay better than the one where the restaurant is (although swimming is better there no doubt). Lara bay has a small shelter with some info about the turtles - it is generally much quieter as you have to climb/walk down for 5 minutes which seems to be a deterrent for many (but not nudists which we have seen on a few occasions :P ).

Below some pics from Easter:

Lara - 1.jpg
Lara - 1.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
Lara - 2.jpg
Lara - 2.jpg (103.5 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
Lara - 3.jpg
Lara - 3.jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

One of the most memorable trips we did was crossing across from Lara over to Fontana Amorosa and the Blue Lagoon. But a good 4WD with decent clearance is definitely a prerequisite (and there is no phone reception in that corner!).

A.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Wonderful blog, Dominic. Maybe my favourite so far. We've done the Fontana Amorosa trip as mentioned above, in a Terios (for non petrolheads, that's a small 4x4, but it's a surprisingly gutsy little thing when it has to be) and I loved that, for the thrill of not knowing if we could! Really lovely photographs as usual. I am now sitting here in a grey UK feeling very homesick (despite your crazy humidity at the moment). Thank you.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Very nice pics Dominic, I like the one with the "sleeper" as it is so typical for the relaxing way Cypriots cope with the Summer heat. Thirty years ago or so, many locals slept like this sheepherder in the countryside. I also like the rock with the crystals ( I hope you don't give it a name :lol: ), but as it was already mentioned in my Blog one can find nice crystals everywhere around Paphos...
Max
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Jacs and I covered many of these areas in an ancient Toyota twin cab 2WD. Secret is, if you're not sure of what lays ahead, pull up, then survey ahead on foot. Always look for a turnaround escape point, if you're driving into a total dead end...

Never assume that because you're in a high end 4WD (ie Range Rover, Land Rover, Pajero, LandCruiser, Patrol, Merc, BMW, Audi, et al) that you can drive ALL the tracks in the Paphos area. You might have a rude awakening...

With forethought, careful planning, and on foot surveys ahead (when things look difficult, which can be seasonal), it's possible to adventure in this manner in the Akamas in a typical little hired Japanese saloon car, at your own risk! Just don't get yourself into a situation that you cannot extricate yourself from!

Watch those rocks on the track ahead; can you steer round them?
Water-filled ruts/ponds in the track; stop and grab a stick, probe the depth!

It's all about basic common sense, really, whether alone or with company... AL :D

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Actually, Dominic, I do remember your target beach bar location in Lara Bay #1 now... Only side tracked to that once. Thought at the time that their 150 metre left sign somehow had another zero missing, as the track down to them seemed endless...

Recall passing through an active farmyard adjacent to the beach, with live animals. This seemed to attract loads of flies into the beach bar area, which really pissed me off! I was the only customer, sitting there drinking a large cold bottle of Carslberg, eyeing my next walk around this bay, pretty much as you did. Maybe wear sprigs of Basil around your ears, like the locals do, and keep those pesky flies away from your table, when you visit here?

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...