Old Town Toilets..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Old Town Toilets..

Post by trevnhil »

This morning my wife and I drove from the direction of the Mall, to the 'Old Town'. We parked on the street a little lower down the hill than Marks and Spencer. We went in that store ad as we were looking around I asked it there were any customer toilets.. Sorry, No was the reply.

So I left my wife in the store and wandered off in the direction of the Old Town, where the lift comes up from the car park. I walked past there to the far end of the Municipal Market building as I know there were toilets there.. Not now there aren't they seem to be refurbishing them. So I walked back and remembered there were some on the car park, now a bus station as well..
I couldn't see them so I asked two guys chatting by a car. They too pointed to ones that were on the car park in the undercliff area. But sadly there are just a row of 8 or 10 roller shutters.

They suggested I go to the lift, and go up and use the facilities in Cafe Nero... So I did as suggested and went to the lift... 'Out of Order' .. However I walked up the ramp and around to the cafe and did indeed go in there.

Are there really no toilet facilities for visitors to that area, and indeed those going to catch a bus ???
Trev..
Lincoln

Re: Old Town Toilets..

Post by Lincoln »

There are nice clean toilets just to the Right of the NEW LIFT. I have used them.
All things are possible
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Down at the seafront, there were no public toilets open from Gerriskipou Beach to the harbour. The new ones, at Municipal Beach, were locked. There were a couple, who had been in the sea and were getting changed, who were desperate to use them, as was I. I asked if I could go into the new taverna, and was able to use their facilities. The other toilets and changing rooms, next to the Alexander the Great, were also closed. The ones by the baths at the harbour are being refurbished so therefore closed and the next public ones are near the castle. I know if you ask, many tavernas will let you use theirs, but you are under pressure to buy a drink. I spoke to the deputy mayor today about this and he will no doubt do something. There really needs to be toilets on the coast path between Gerriskipou Beach and Paphos. The path is quite busy at all times, as more and more people are exercising. At this time of year, many of the people staying in the hotels are older, and lots walk along the coast path to Paphos.

However, on a brighter note, path is much tidier. Bins are now emptied regularly and the recycling fish at the harbour, where plastic bottles are collected, has been emptied.
Last edited by Anarita John on Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Lincoln wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:53 pm There are nice clean toilets just to the Right of the NEW LIFT. I have used them.
I think they are all covered by roller shutters now as I was down there this morning and walked up to the (defunct) NEW LIFT hoping to use it.

I found it hard to believe that there were no 'facilities' on what is an Inter City Bus Station..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Perhaps its because the Old Town appears to have been very quiet when I have been there occasionally over the winter months, what with the exceptionally cold/ wet/winter gales....
Any people around mostly locals and using the coffee bars, restaurants which have their own toilets...
But its a mystery why none of the coastal path facilities are open. Though with the hotels, and other facilities closed there as well, the only walkers I have met were locals and foreigners who looked more as if they live here. This applies to the walkers on the path from the little church to the harbour/lighthouse beach, as well as the Chroraka sea front.
Presumably, there may be more tourists present after the 1March up to Easter, once some hotels are known to have tourists staying again, tourist facilities may also reopen newly refurbished? Including toilets. Hopefully!

Dee

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Nappies are not expensive! :-) :-) :-)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:59 pm
Lincoln wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:53 pm There are nice clean toilets just to the Right of the NEW LIFT. I have used them.
I think they are all covered by roller shutters now as I was down there this morning and walked up to the (defunct) NEW LIFT hoping to use it.

I found it hard to believe that there were no 'facilities' on what is an Inter City Bus Station..
The public toilets are to the left of the covered area that has roller shutter doors (which was being used by the vegetable market stall holders).
Very clean too!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can see the loos by the lifts here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/old-pap ... 021-part-3

Second picture down.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yep, I could have missed that this morning. thanks for the pic. It is not often I am there, But I know to look closer now
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They are actually in decent nick too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
daveg

Post by daveg »

"The ones by the baths at the harbour are being refurbished so therefore closed and the next public ones are near the castle."

There are Public toilets by " Bania" taverna ,where the swimming changing rooms are....
cactus

Post by cactus »

I suppose it's difficult to ensure that all the regulations are being adhered to at the moment without someone permanently situated at all public facilities. It's a nuisance but understandable.

By the way, and I hope I'm not being disrespectful, I just love the title of this thread. Is it just me or does it sound a bit like a hit record for the Pogues?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

There are Public toilets by " Bania" taverna ,where the swimming changing rooms are....

Thanks for that Dave. I checked again today and the new toilets at the taverna, by the changing area, were locked, as were the changing rooms and toilets next to the Alexander the Great.

UK half term and quite a few families out, so they really do need to get all the loos open.

Devil, thanks for your suggestion about wearing nappies. However, I have found that they are quite uncomfortable when you are doing a 6 mile walk or a 30 mile bike ride. I've now got nappy rash.
altosax1

Post by altosax1 »

Monday this week. Both lifts are out of order. The older lift has not been working for months.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is sad really. I feel sure if it was the Alphamega store lift, it would be repaired in hours.
Trev..
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

There are some toilets in Ibrahims Han in the Old Town. They're locked at night and sometimes don't get reopened until later in the morning.
kansas

Post by kansas »

My wife used the Ladies loo this morning. Nice and modern but needed a good clean.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Was this the one at the bottom of the lift that Dominic posted a picture of ?
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes Mr Mouse I used the facilities in Cafe Nero
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

Trev, yes that's the one.