Wills and power of attourney

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
J B

Wills and power of attourney

Post by J B »

We did our wills with our Cypriot lawyer in the late 90's
He still has PoA over our affairs although we've not communicated with him for 5 years.

We spoke to a friend a while ago who's father had died and they had ended up paying a large sum to a solicitor.
I'm not sure of the details but, although we have no plans to die in the near future, maybe we ought to be looking into this issue.
Can anyone advise?
J B
smudger

Re: Wills and power of attourney

Post by smudger »

Im pretty sure HIC will be along to advise when he sees this, never ever use the Cypriot lawyer as Power of attorney. Big, Huge. Huge mistake, to quote Julia Roberts!
If you haven't amended your wills for five years you may need to consider notating that you wish the will to be conducted under British law rather than Cypriot, saving anither tranche of hard earned assets.

As I said, pretty sure HIC will comment.
manxie

Post by manxie »

You can go to paphos court house where I assume your will is lodged where you can retrieve your will remove your lawyer name you then have to buy stamps and reseal it
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

How can a husband and wife make each other have power of attorney, in case one of them becomes (through dementia possibly) unable to make banking or house selling decisions..
And is this possible ??
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Oh... That is a surprise... I will have to look into that.. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated..
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:37 pm I was told on good authority, albeit a few years ago now, that P of As were not possible in Cyprus. I would love to hear differently though.
Well, in the 'early days' at the turn of the century, he moved money for us in Laiki with his PoA
J B