Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL

Re: Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Post by WHL »

Just seen a certain Mickey Mouse has signed it. :shock:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL - does it matter? As I said, it is only a petition to gauge strength of feeling and what is apparent, is that within 36 hours or so, nearly 3m people feel strongly enough and while a percentage of those might be foolish names and not accurate, the overwhelming will be true and accurate.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm WHL - does it matter? As I said, it is only a petition to gauge strength of feeling and what is apparent, is that within 36 hours or so, nearly 3m people feel strongly enough and while a percentage of those might be foolish names and not accurate, the overwhelming will be true and accurate.
And in 12 hours 17.4 million voted to leave.... I don't want to leave the EU, but I'm a democrat, that means, accepting the vote of the people, not crying until you get the decision you want.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I voted to remain but accept leave under OUR control. i.e. with terms that suit the majority of the country. The 30m who never voted to leave, also need recognition, as do the percentage who . want to brexit, but not to have everything more expensive, loss of jobs, or affects on 'normal' life.

I would take May's imperfect deal, as it will allow me and my businesses to continue as are, to a large extent. That would apply to most of the country.

I don't believe for one minute, that if a vote was held, where it was May's deal or a hard brexit, that anywhere near a majority would vote for a hard brexit.

So, this revoke petition in a recognition that we need to stop at the edge of this cliff, before jumping off. I am happy to leave with decent terms. What that implies is ALL parties to sit round a table and lower their red-lines. May more than anyone, as she sees this as purely a Tory decision and that's why it hasn't worked.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

In order for this petition to be even accepted by the Govt. It surely has to be certified that all signatures are UK residents?. Also it would it not have to have 17.5 million true signatures in order to be effective.
Last edited by Lincoln on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pm In order for this petition to be even accepted by the Govt. It has to be certified that all signatures are UK residents. Also it would have to have 17.5 million true signatures in order to be effective.
Absolutely wrong. It is not a referendum, it is a simple non-binding petition. The only legal factor is that the result must be debated in the Commons if there are more than 100,000 signatures, which are not verified. In this case, that guideline is passed. Theoretically, you could have 60 million signatures and it would still not be binding in law. You could say it was advisory. FYI, no such petition has ever been acted on by parliament after debate, even with a million or more signatures.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pm In order for this petition to be even accepted by the Govt. It has to be certified that all signatures are UK residents. Also it would have to have 17.5 million true signatures in order to be effective.
Er, not true. To sign the petition one has to be a British Citizen or a UK resident. This is why we in Cyprus can sign it.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I sugned the petition this evening. The confirmation email said they now have nearly 3.5 M signed up.

Dee
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Why should this petition carry any weight. After all it is asking for a democratic decision to be ignored, so surely it's perfectly ok for this to be ignored also? Otherwise it's hypocritical is it not?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

By that logic we would only ever have one general election.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:36 pm
Absolutely wrong. It is not a referendum, it is a simple non-binding petition. The only legal factor is that the result must be debated in the Commons if there are more than 100,000 signatures, which are not verified. In this case, that guideline is passed. Theoretically, you could have 60 million signatures and it would still not be binding in law. You could say it was advisory. FYI, no such petition has ever been acted on by parliament after debate, even with a million or more signatures.
True, however, if it gets anywhere like 17,000,000 signatures I am sure the government would at least think twice before regurgitating the old line about it being the "will of the people".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

The will of the people at the last general election was that the Tories would not have a majority, yet they carry on regardless. No one voted for a coalition with the DUP
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:35 pm By that logic we would only ever have one general election.
No, by that logic the will of the majority who voted would be carried out and it could then be put to another vote later, in a certain amount of years. Remain voters want the result overturned before it has been implemented, that is not democracy to my mind.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

zorbathejock wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:50 pm The will of the people at the last general election was that the Tories would not have a majority, yet they carry on regardless. No one voted for a coalition with the DUP
By that logic half the countries in the EU wouldn't have a government!

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 am
By that logic half the countries in the EU wouldn't have a government!
Most EU countries have some form of proportional representation, not the stupid "first past the post" system in the UK. PR is more democratic because it allows for wider views to be heard.

To take a hypothetical example:
Joe Bloggs 20,000
John Smith 17,000
Jim Brown 15,000
Joe Bloggs would be elected, with only 38 percent of the votes. Do you really think that he is representative of the constituency?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

We have PR in Scotland and it works well
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan

You could say that about items in manifestos that are never implemented; as an example in their manifesto the Tories had no time limit on votes for people overseas which was never introduced.
The whole system is rotten, democracy in name only. Whips used by all parties to threaten and cajole members to vote for the good of the party and not the country. What's democratic of 36% of the population dictating to the other 64% or a government with 42% of the vote running the country? Democracy is not very democratic, especially in the UK.

Jim
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

Over18 million were denied a vote. U.K. citizens living in an EU country for more than 15 years even though the result would affect them. EU citizens in the U.K. and 16 year olds who are now to be denied the freedom of movement their parents had
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Devil wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 am Most EU countries have some form of proportional representation, not the stupid "first past the post" system in the UK. PR is more democratic because it allows for wider views to be heard.

To take a hypothetical example:
Joe Bloggs 20,000
John Smith 17,000
Jim Brown 15,000
Joe Bloggs would be elected, with only 38 percent of the votes. Do you really think that he is representative of the constituency?
Whether I think it is representative is irrelevant, it's the system we use at present? Is it the right one or not is a different discussion?

Shane
Last edited by ApusApus on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

zorbathejock wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 am Over18 million were denied a vote. U.K. citizens living in an EU country for more than 15 years even though the result would affect them. EU citizens in the U.K. and 16 year olds who are now to be denied the freedom of movement their parents had
Of those 18 million, how many didn't realise that they would lose their voting rights after 15 years of residing in the EU country they chose to move to? Not many I suspect!

Shane