Electricity bills to rise by 6.72 per cent

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

Re: Electricity bills to rise by 6.72 per cent

Post by smudger »

Agree Hudswell. Without checking back, have to say I'm pretty sick of continual electricity price increases. Just how much do the unions think they can keep milking the milk cow of consumerism??
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:35 pm Slight...it is estimated that electric charges have risen by about 32.9% since October 2016.
In Oct 16 crude oil was priced at $49.29 and in Sep 18 it's average price is $75.36. That's an increase just because of market pricing in $'s of 53%. Won't explain all of the 32.9% but will certainly explain some of it. As we've recovered from the GFC energy pricing at a macro world level have increased.
Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:47 am Correct, and I could do without optimizer as I used the whole roof to install them meters away from obstacles...(chimney, water tank, dish etc..)

Max
What would a 2kW PV system typically cost today?
I think you said previously that a solar pool pump and panels would cost circa EUR3,500 for an 8x4m pool. Is that correct?

Just finalising budgets for our move to Cyprus and I suspect we'll be soon in the market for both.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:29 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:47 am Correct, and I could do without optimizer as I used the whole roof to install them meters away from obstacles...(chimney, water tank, dish etc..)

Max
What would a 2kW PV system typically cost today?
I think you said previously that a solar pool pump and panels would cost circa EUR3,500 for an 8x4m pool. Is that correct?

Just finalising budgets for our move to Cyprus and I suspect we'll be soon in the market for both.
I would suggest that you contact the office of Green Air, Paphos. (all infos on the PL directory)https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/entry/greenair

In order to get the best price I would mention to them that you are interested in a pool pump as well. If you phone them and ask for Lina, I am sure you will get very quick a quote for both subjects. It would not hurt if you mention our Paphos Life forum to them... ;)

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

smudger wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm Agree Hudswell. Without checking back, have to say I'm pretty sick of continual electricity price increases. Just how much do the unions think they can keep milking the milk cow of consumerism??
Nothing to do with Unions in this case
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 pm Robert, yes crude oil prices fluctuate and I appriciate that it will impact of on Cypriot electric prices which is dependant on oil...I also understand the EAC are "investigating" other means of production. I also agree with HIC, Cyprus is too small to have multiple providers, but that does excuse the inertia, the willingness just to raise prices without looking at reducing an ever increasing burden on the customer, reducing VAT is a viable option. Provision of PV at an individual level is not.
My bold. 100% agree with this. Governments across the globe do their constituents a big dis-service IMHO. They always assume that the solution to any problem is spend more on this and that (they usually call it "investment") rather than drive a lowering of costs while maintaining/improving the situation. I don't know why this is - because it's always been that way, laziness... This approach of more/same for less is what makes successful companies successful.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Probably because lowering of costs while maintaining/improving the situation is far easier to type than to do.

One classic cost-cutting exercise is to eliminate redundancy. This is fine until something goes wrong. Then, when you no longer have a system, because the spares have been sold off to allow for cheaper fuel, the first thing that happens is people criticise those in power for not having redundancy. You can see this in the UK with gritters. After several mild winters, the council where we used to live didn't bother keeping a decent stock of salt, in order to save money. Then, when it inevitably got cold... fill in the rest yourself.

The only way to cut bills that is 100% effective, is to use less electricity.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.