Electricity bills to rise by 6.72 per cent

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Electricity bills to rise by 6.72 per cent

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 pm I look at the investment in a different light. I have a 5.5 Kw system and paid about 6.5K for it. I now look on the money spent as written off. My bi-monthly bills are about €64, I now don't have the worry of massive bills coming in which used to happen in the past. If I recoup the outlay all well and good and if I don't I won't lose any sleep over it.

Jim
This is exactly the same reason I installed a small system recently where I am living at the moment in a rented property, not to worry to run the pool too many hours (as I have no solar pool pump) and have the air-con running in my office most of the day, unlike before when I was suffering with 32c room temperature. My last two bi-monthly bills were below 25 Euros and most important for me: I do something for the environment and I am similar proud of that as I was proud in the past with my first two large installations at Argaka in 1997 and 2009....when it was a hobby and is now profession.

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

As Cyprus uses Oil for its Power stations, then when the World price of Oil goes up, so do electricity prices and petrol prices, simple economics.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:05 am As Cyprus uses Oil for its Power stations, then when the World price of Oil goes up, so do electricity prices and petrol prices, simple economics.

Unfortunately uses the rebuilt Vasilikos Powerstation heavy fuel oil which leads to high pollution etc....
Interesting part of an article about Heavy Fuel Oil:

"Since the 1960s, heavy fuel oil (HFO) has been the king of marine fuels. Viscous, dirty, yet inexpensive and widely available, HFO propelled a long period of robust growth in international shipping, which carries over 90% of intercontinental trade by volume each year. For many, it is the lifeblood of the maritime shipping industry.

But HFO’s low price does not reflect its impacts on the environment and human health. The sulfur content of HFO can be up to 35,000 parts per million. It is the reason that maritime shipping accounts for 8% of global emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2), making the industry an important source for acid rain as well as respiratory diseases. In some populous port cities, such as Hong Kong, shipping is the largest single source of SO2 emissions as well as emissions of particulate matter (PM), which are directly tied to the sulfur content of fuel. By one estimate, PM emissions from maritime shipping led to 87,000 premature deaths worldwide in 2012...."
https://www.theicct.org/blogs/staff/end ... e-shipping

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

I remember when we lived in the UK, after every budget we would moan about every price/tax increase, did it change anything...No, same here, it is what it is ...Government is doing what every Government the World over does, tries to squeeze every shekel out of the peasants...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:44 am So you just lay down and roll over? Or do you at least ask the question? And if enough people ask the question then perhaps the Government will listen because if the currant trend continues with the rise of electricity prices it will, or indeed has, become unaffordable for some.
Do I see people protesting over this? No...But by all means feel free to go and chain yourself outside the Presidential Palace, Im sure that will do the trick ;) :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:14 pm Actually, I think if prices continue to rise as they are doing, you just might. And perhaps some people will protest, and I am sure you will be quite happy to let them,,saves you doing anything.
Have you sent a protest letter to the Electricity board, Energy minister, News papers,???? so spare us the moral lectures, ... Thanks
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Not really bothered about the increase as there are always ways of reducing the number of units used without having to resort to candle light or an open fire.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Perhaps you could give out some tips that may help other people..
One from me. Only put the exact amount of water you need in the kettle before switching it on.
Trev..
Robert

Post by Robert »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:36 pm Perhaps you could give out some tips that may help other people..
One from me. Only put the exact amount of water you need in the kettle before switching it on.
Only leave the lights on in the rooms where you currently need them to be on. As old style bulbs blow switch them to low energy bulbs. Don't leave electronics on stand-by - instead turn them off at the wall.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

If you have PV panels installed, it really makes using what electricity you need so much more affordable.. and your house more comfortable to be in. Alternatively, consider doing what Jim has done and insulate your whole house, ceilings, walls and under the floor.
Or do both. A friend of ours had a fully insulated timber frame house built, plus a bank of PV panels in the garden. Their elec bills were miniscule and the house always felt dry and comfortable. Especially in winter and mid summer.
Most Cypriot build houses have nothing to save energy, especially those with double height ceilings and huge glass windows which face west to the sea.... just crazy if you think about it.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A very sensible post Dee.. We have all of the above mentioned, plus UPVC double glazing and Aircon.
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Robert wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:49 pm
trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:36 pm Perhaps you could give out some tips that may help other people..
Only leave the lights on in the rooms where you currently need them to be on. As old style bulbs blow switch them to low energy bulbs. Don't leave electronics on stand-by - instead turn them off at the wall.
Winter = Shave and shower in the afternoon to save turning on the water heater in the morning. Tun off heating source about 10 minutes before leaving the room so residual heat is used up. Close curtains to retain heat but ensure adequate ventilation.
Summer = Use a fan rather than the AC to circulate air and keep room cool. Close curtains to keep heat out but have windows open about 5 -10 cm.
Daily = Check clothes to see they can be aired (and ironed if necessary) and worn again rather than thrown into the washing machine after single use. Treat a stain rather than wash the whole garment. Use a lower water temperature. Hand wash small and delicate items.
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

We have electricity roof panels, and are not concerned about 7electricity bills. We use ours for cooling in summer & heating in winter, and only once in eighteen months have we received a bill, other than the standing charge.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We are in the same village and in the same situation..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Fisherman Phil wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 am We have electricity roof panels, and are not concerned about 7electricity bills. We use ours for cooling in summer & heating in winter, and only once in eighteen months have we received a bill, other than the standing charge.
Perfect, how it should be when you have your own electricity produced through net-metering. Yet, in springtime you have to check if you have not too much credit on your meter before EAC is setting it back to zero!! (which means one looses the proudly produced kWh's)

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 am I do envy you guys who have the "capacity" to install PV, but many of us do not have the "space" to do so or te facilities to do so...
ONE solar panel with 280 Wp has the size of 1.65 m2 ca. No need to have 10 or 20 of them.... ;)

Max
Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 am
Hudswell wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 am I do envy you guys who have the "capacity" to install PV, but many of us do not have the "space" to do so or te facilities to do so...
ONE solar panel with 280 Wp has the size of 1.65 m2 ca. No need to have 10 or 20 of them.... ;)

Max
Max, so for your 2kW install do you have 7 panels?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:41 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 am

Max
Max, so for your 2kW install do you have 7 panels?

Correct, and I could do without optimizer as I used the whole roof to install them meters away from obstacles...(chimney, water tank, dish etc..)

Max
Robert

Post by Robert »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 am Anyone who's that tight should perhaps go to bed as soon as it gets dark so they need no lighting at all and forego watching tv altogether. :lol: As for the 'laundry' suggestion there are enough people around with BO without others adding to them! :?
We are day by day destroying this beautiful planet and one of the reasons (IMHO) for this is over consumption. If you had to generate your energy used with your own body would you say the same thing?

To try and make a bit of a difference we switched our focus in life from standard of living/consumerism to one that focused on quality of life. We continually ask ourselves does this bring value to us and if it doesn't we don't do it. It means we now tread much lighter on this fabulous earth. A secondary benefit was that our spending fell through the floor meaning we are able to retire to Cyprus at age 46.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Austin 7, not being tight (in fact some of the tips are from a couple who own a property and have a monthly income of €4000 +) but not everyone living in Cyprus, be they working or retired, has a large income. I note in this forum some people mention they live on the UK State Pension, so not a question of being tight, but rather having to live within their means. It also looks as if people on civil service pensions will be affected by the new Dual Tax Treaty next year when it is taxed at source in the UK