Swimming pools again

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anoula

Swimming pools again

Post by Anoula »

We have received another email from Blue Orange maintenance in connection with obtaining a swimming pool licence.
Complying with the current regulations on pools classified as public, that is used by more than one household, would be completely uneconomic in most cases. Have the owners of complexes operated by other maintenance companies been similarly contacted. Even for Cyprus this seems to be a surreal situation.
Anoula
Mandyr

Re: Swimming pools again

Post by Mandyr »

Yes, our complex has had the same notifications from Blue Orange too. We have replied to them in no uncertain terms and our committee are waiting for a response. Our action will be to leave BlueOrange if no agreement is made and knowing Cypriot law, it will be changed again once we have paid up!! Could the new marina have anything to do with this?
josef k

Post by josef k »

This is obviously a case of Blue orange covering their backside. Now that they have written to everyone, if anything happens it isn't their fault. It's yours.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Swimming pool owners face court action

The owners of unlicensed communal swimming pools are facing court action following inspections carried out by the Paphos Municipality who insist that pools must be licenced, inspected daily and a lifeguard appointed.

READ MORE
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

150 complexes, the courts are going to be busy, glad we got away from a complex when we did.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Anoula

Post by Anoula »

I read somewhere that pools of 1.8 metres depth and less do not need a licence and this is why some pools on complexes are built to this specification. As the text of the law online is in Greek I can not check it, but does anyone know of this.
darrow

Post by darrow »

On the link above, Nigel has posted the name and address of the minister responsible. It might be a good idea if everyone affected, wrote a petition and asked for the law to be amended pronto! They seem to love causing stress over silly regulations. If it goes to court it would be great if a sensible judge through the case's out! Only been promised over 10 years now for an amendment.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Anoula. I posted this a couple of months ago when this subject was initially raised:

“I believe One of the hotels in Limassol part filled in their pool so the deepest part was no more than about 5ft and therefore legally allowed them to operate without a lifeguard.”

This was told to me by a friend who has lived for several years in an apartment adjoining the hotel and regularly uses the pool. She was told this by the hotel manager. Prior to the pool being altered they had employed a lifeguard.

Another large communal pool by us just has a large sign saying you swim at your own risk (or something like that). Might not be legal though ......
J B

Post by J B »

Just seen this - don't know if it's worth bothering with, but ... probably.

https://www.cypruscommunalguide.com/pet ... in-cyprus/
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have heard through a friend, of a complex in the Paphos area who already have a swimming pool license. Apparently, their pool man is properly qualified and obtained the license for the committee of this complex. The pool is properly maintained by the pool man, and is fenced and gated, residents chip in to look after the pool and is surrounds. They do have a lifeguard, but he is part time. When he is not there, a notice explains this fact.. another notice gives the rules for use of the pool. One of the rules is that any child whether of a resident or belonging to a guest, must be accompanied by a parent when using the pool. In the event of a life guard being required he can be phoned to come. There is also life saving equipment placed prominently near the pool.
Is anyone able to implement such measures as this way of obtaining a license avoids high costs and any threat of costly legal action.

Dee
manxie

Post by manxie »

it begs the question about the issue of title deeds ect if the they do not comply to regulations the local authority would flag this up with land registry ? I think that pafilia are behind this getting owners to get things moving to get the rules which are waiting to be passed in Nicosia, if people are aware of this mess would you buy on a complex I think not, change the water 4 time a year !
dpng

Post by dpng »

I am just reading through these messages which are a little dated now. But for some this topic is extremely pertinent with the real possibility that pools will remain closed throughout the summer. So I am very interested in Dee's post about a complex that has a swimming pool license. Meeting requirements for Lifeguards, maintenance works and site structural changes is extremely expensive but is achievable. A more difficult problem is the nomination of an individual willing to assume responsibility for the complex pool safety which is needed in order to get the license. The management committee is not allowed to undertake this role (because they are not an individual). So I am wondering if the qualified pool man mentioned by Dee is acting as the responsible person for this complex or if not, how the requirement for a "responsible person" has been met. Is anyone else aware of situations where this problem has been overcome?

Regards, dpng