Amazon UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PaphosAL

Amazon UK

Post by PaphosAL »

Just a friendly warning to share when buying on Amazon UK (and I don't want to ruffle Dom's feathers, here!)

On 11th May, I was online to Amazon and chose what I thought would be the perfect 7" Android rear view mirror Satnav, inc bluetooth hands-free, dashcam, rear cam, lifetime Europe maps. It looked a steal at £96-65...

I was interrupted by an Amazon pop-up telling me that if I successfully for their Aqua Matercard, I would get a £20 Amazon Gift Voucher to be applied at checkout, making the purchase £76-65. So I did, and was successful. Proceeded to checkout, but no sign of the £20 GV credit. Went ahead anyway...

When the goods were on their way, I queried this twice with Amazon online chat. Both agents told me they were crediting my account with the missing £20 GV... Goods arrived, but still no sign of the credit. A third agent then told me that the Amazon website and the previous two agents were WRONG and that I must phone Aqua in order to resolve this issue.

Card arrived in the post this morning and, as expected, no Amazon £20 GV... So, a long and expensive phone call before I could talk to a human being at Aqua. He told me that I needed to activate the card, have a DD all set up, use the card a few times. Then, after FOUR MONTHS, I would get my Amazon £20 GV!

I responded that I was about to cut the card into six pieces and bin it. He asked if I wanted to close the account? The answer to that was obvious... Shame on Amazon for getting themselves involved in such bare-faced scams such as these. BEWARE of similar offers they chuck up at you when you're simply trying to buy something from them!

AL :roll: :cry:
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Re: Amazon UK

Post by trevnhil »

It does say in this offer that the gift card will come to you in the third month.... If you are good and pay on time.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/earn-a ... rd-2347145
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Thanks for the feedbacks and caveats, guys. But that is definately what Amazon did NOT tell me, when it barged into my online purchase. In fact, it lied to me...

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that you often profess to loving this site and wanting to help, it is a shame that you didn't use the affiliate link to make your purchase.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Please explain the “ Affiliate Link “ and how it works. I for one would be happy to use it , if it benefits the site.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I am a big Amazon user have been for some time, here is a cautionary tale that I am trying to sort out as I write this, I am ambidextrous, :)

Last week I ordered a small item and it duly arrived at my home here in Tremithousa, delivered by the local postman, I was so happy with the product I ordered another with the "click to buy again button" I was slightly alarmed to see it had arrived at my Sister-in-laws home in the UK on Sunday, only 24 hours after clicking to buy again.

I contacted the seller who said that this UK address was my default address, I then said why did my first order arrive correctly 2.000 miles south? she seemed a little alarmed, surely I said when you click to buy again nothing should change, so be very careful with Amazon if you ever use this facility to "buy again", I do not think I will use that facility again in a hurry. :cry: and yes I read the small print.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I must admit that my default address is in Cyprus. But I do have various other addresses listed on Amazon, both in the UK and in another country.. I suppose it is wise to double check which address is listed on each order that is made.
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Always double check orders on Amazon. Things to look out for:

1. Correct postal address.
2. Postage costs what you expect.
3. You haven't signed up for Prime without realising it.

You should double check orders you make on any online site. I just use Amazon a lot so I am aware of likely areas of confusion.

One thing good about Amazon, is that if things do get screwed up, their customer services is normally excellent, once you have waded through the menus to find the right link.

Reesy, if you go to the following link:

https://www.paphoslife.com/shop

You will see assorted books on Cyprus. If you order any of them from Amazon using the link, the site gets a few cents. However, there are also two other links at the top of that page. One is for the Amazon UK site, the other Amazon Germany.

If you click on those links to enter Amazon, and buy something at the other end, then we will benefit. Thank you for asking. :)
amazon.jpg
amazon.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

What's the standard time for an Amazon package to get to Cyprus? Not from 3rd party sellers, from Amazon themselves?

Is there any advantage in being in Prime, with regds shipping costs to Cyprus?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re "Amazon Prime gives an enhanced service to UK customers only, not those living overseas."
The customer can be overseas but the item needs to be delivered in the UK.
I am using Amazon Prime to have items delivered to the UK Depot of RSS (Peyia), for onward shipment to Cyprus..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I use RSS for parcels that Amazon will not deliver to Cyprus. Also I sometimes buy electrical items from UK firms that do not ship items abroad, so it is good to have a place in the UK that will forward parcels to Cyprus..
But I do buy Items from Amazon and have them delivered direct if they will do so..
Trev..
T@T

Post by T@T »

The other thing with Amazon is if you have to collect your item from the local courier ( ACS, AKIS etc) you can claim back the delivery charge as they have not delivered to the delivery address.