Windrush Ooh Aah

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Windrush Ooh Aah

Post by Dominic »

We used to lick road clean wit tongue.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I lived in t cess pit and I werkd 2o hours a day wiv nowt to eat but the leather off me shoe.

Of course I did not work in the same factory as you and / or your dad. How could I. I have never lived in Sheffield.

However, by just repeating the same argument over and over again does not make it true.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You 'ad leather?

Luxury.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 am You didn't work in a factory at the time though! You've already established that you were eating boiled sweets at the time, and just starting school.
I never said I worked in a factory at that time. The point that I'm making is that if our factories had been brought up to date we would not have needed to import cheap foreign labour. The Empire Windrush saga need not have existed had our owners who made massive profits during the war years with their factories running 24hrs per day re invested instead of the cheap easy option.
You can accept the conn as you no doubt would believe that the moon was made of Green Cheese unless it was me that was telling you.
Our money should have been spent on our factories not Germany, European Italy and Japan. How long was it before their Cars and Motorbikes etc were replacing ours? Haven't you ever stopped to think why we haven't got a car or motorcycle industry anymore? Does lack of reinvestment enter your mind?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Loxely Man wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 am You didn't work in a factory at the time though! You've already established that you were eating boiled sweets at the time, and just starting school.
I never said I worked in a factory at that time. The point that I'm making is that if our factories had been brought up to date we would not have needed to import cheap foreign labour. The Empire Windrush saga need not have existed had our owners who made massive profits during the war years with their factories running 24hrs per day re invested instead of the cheap easy option.
You can accept the conn as you no doubt would believe that the moon was made of Green Cheese unless it was me that was telling you.
Our money should have been spent on our factories not Germany, European Italy and Japan. How long was it before their Cars and Motorbikes etc were replacing ours? Haven't you ever stopped to think why we haven't got a car or motorcycle industry anymore? Does lack of reinvestment enter your mind?
Several reasons, the Germans build better cars, the Japanese build cars people needed, better and cheaper, and the UK Unions led by Red Robbo, might of had played a part also.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Here is a list of cars Made in Britain.......

Made in Britain

MINI – MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman, in Cowley, Oxford
Honda – Civic and CR-V in Swindon
Toyota – Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Burnaston, Derbyshire
Nissan – Juke, Qashqai, Note and Leaf and Infiniti Q30 in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
Lotus – Elise, Evora and Exige in Norfolk
Aston Martin – DB9, Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish, and DB11 in Gaydon, Warwickshire
Bentley Motors – Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne in Crewe, Cheshire
Rolls Royce – Ghost and Wraith in Goodwood, West Sussex
Jaguar – F-Pace and XE in Solihull, and F-type, XJ, XF and XE in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham
Land Rover – Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque in Halewood, Merseyside, and Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Defender in Solihull, West Midlands
Vauxhall – Astra at Ellesmere Port and Vivaro van in Luton

Other niche, small volume manufacturers include Westfield, Bristol, Ariel and Noble.

Ford stopped building cars in the UK in 2002 and vans (Transits) in July 2013 but continues to manufacture engines in Bridgend and Dagenham and transmissions in Halewood.

27 December 2017
Trev..
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Loxely Man wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm The point that I'm making is that if our factories had been brought up to date we would not have needed to import cheap foreign labour. The Empire Windrush saga need not have existed had our owners who made massive profits during the war years with their factories running 24hrs per day re invested instead of the cheap easy option.
To reiterate the people that came on the Windrush did not all work in manufacturing and only a limited number took up the offer.

Also worth remembering that many of those that did come had fought for the country during the war! If they were good enough to fight and perhaps be killed for the country then I am damn sure they were good enough to work in it!

You may wish to check your history as the "foreign labour" that you refer to from the Windrush were actually British Citizens - up until 1962 all
Commonwealth citizens were considered British citizens which changed with the Commonwealth Immigrants act.

Around 120,000 arrived up until '58 and just like now many worked in poor paying jobs that the locals did not want. Yes some worked in manufacturing in semi-skilled jobs in forges and furnaces around the Midlands but not to the extent you are alluding to.

All the above is just a diversion though as regardless of the reasons they were invited and that's what matters.

Cheers

Steve
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Loxely Man wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm owners who made massive profits during the war years with their factories running 24hrs per day re invested
Please justify that untruth which is a generality applying to perhaps 1 or 2% of 'spivs'. I knew a number of factory-owners who often had trouble making ends meet.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I really do not think that Loxley will ever agree with the reply that West Indies immigration in the 50s and industry reinvestment in the 70s are totally unrelated.

The entire issue is the West Indies immigrants and any offspring born outside of Britain have been treated unfairly. That is the only issue that is relevant. Everything else is either a smoke screen or a different topic.

Clearly, LM has been hard done by in the past and, for that, he has my sympathy but it is not the fault of carabean immigrants.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

William Morris wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 pm I really do not think that Loxley will ever agree with the reply that West Indies immigration in the 50s and industry reinvestment in the 70s are totally unrelated.
Once again off the mark. I said that very little reinvestment took place ion the years following WWII, not just the 40s or the 60 or the 70s. British industry was outdated by world standards.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Devil wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 pm
Loxely Man wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm owners who made massive profits during the war years with their factories running 24hrs per day re invested
I knew a number of factory-owners who often had trouble making ends meet.
They told you that did they, it was a common whinge when workers asked for a decent wage.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Steve - SJD wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm
All the above is just a diversion though as regardless of the reasons they were invited and that's what matters.Cheers
Steve
The claim is that they came to help rebuild Britain, which is what some on here claim "I rebuilt Britain as a bus conductor whilst my mate worked on the underground" do you know until now I didn't realise how important my job was. :lol:
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Steve - SJD wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Also worth remembering that many of those that did come had fought for the country during the war! If they were good enough to fight and perhaps be killed for the country then I am damn sure they were good enough to work in it! Cheers Steve
They like the Poles etc fought for world freedom, had the UK gone under the world would have followed. The PC tripe that they fought for us is pure fantasy.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm Here is a list of cars Made in Britain.......

Made in Britain

MINI – MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman, in Cowley, Oxford
Honda – Civic and CR-V in Swindon
Toyota – Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Burnaston, Derbyshire
Nissan – Juke, Qashqai, Note and Leaf and Infiniti Q30 in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
Lotus – Elise, Evora and Exige in Norfolk
Aston Martin – DB9, Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish, and DB11 in Gaydon, Warwickshire
Bentley Motors – Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne in Crewe, Cheshire
Rolls Royce – Ghost and Wraith in Goodwood, West Sussex
Jaguar – F-Pace and XE in Solihull, and F-type, XJ, XF and XE in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham
Land Rover – Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque in Halewood, Merseyside, and Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Defender in Solihull, West Midlands
Vauxhall – Astra at Ellesmere Port and Vivaro van in Luton

Other niche, small volume manufacturers include Westfield, Bristol, Ariel and Noble.

Ford stopped building cars in the UK in 2002 and vans (Transits) in July 2013 but continues to manufacture engines in Bridgend and Dagenham and transmissions in Halewood.

27 December 2017
Who are the owners of these car names that are obviously flooding the UK Market? Hillman, Wolseley, Austin, Morris, Reliant, Singer, Humber, Vauxhall, Ford etc and the motorcycles BSA, Triumph, Royal Enfield, Panther, Excelsior, James, Francis Barnet. Velocette etc with glorious names like these our industry must be thriving :o
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

WHL wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm [Several reasons, the Germans build better cars, the Japanese build cars people needed, better and cheaper, and the UK Unions led by Red Robbo, might of had played a part also.
Good job Red Robbo didn't mess up our Spitfire and Lancaster production as they were obviously inferior to German, Italian and Japanese aircraft.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

WHL wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Loxely Man wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm They came over for a better life, none of them wanted to return to their indigenous roots, Africa, where they were forcibly taken from by rich slave owners not working class British people.
I think we all get were your coming from.
Is that the royal 'We'?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No I think he nailed it.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Loxely Man wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 pm They like the Poles etc fought for world freedom, had the UK gone under the world would have followed. The PC tripe that they fought for us is pure fantasy.
Sorry wasn't Poland invaded? Did I miss the bit where Hitler just nipped over to invade Jamaica too?

Next you will be telling us that you were fighting in the war, whilst at the same time being hard done by in a factory, whilst also being a child :roll:

Cheers

Steve
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Amber Rudd, responsible for the present crisis and would be Prime Minister, lied to a parliamentary committee - which as Minster, should be a n instant sacking.... She has now apologised (very good of her) for long and revealed that indeed immigration officers were 'targeted' and incentivised to exclude 20 people a moth each, from the UK.... She previously said NO incentives were in place.

I honestly don't know how we can allow Ministers like her and Johnson, who has lied in parliament many times over Brexit figures (the £350m a week crap) despite being warned by the ONS and others not to.... to survive. Ministerial code demands their resignation or dismissal.

It has now been revelled that officers hounded some people to exclude them from the UK - many wrongly.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

If we used that criteria Jim then Parliament would be pretty empty. Certainly both sides of the House have many undesirables in my opinion. Hard to know which side is worse. A sad state of affairs. What is even more unpalatable is those who are seeking to make political capital from it. Very sad indeed.