Rental Property & Communal Charges

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tuppence

Rental Property & Communal Charges

Post by Tuppence »

On a long term rental contract are communal charges usually included in the rent, paid on top of the rent or does it depend on who the landlord is or the area?

Anyone have an idea of what the charges would be on a two bed, two bath apartment in a small complex with lift but no pool?
trevnhil

Re: Rental Property & Communal Charges

Post by trevnhil »

We always paid them on top of the rent. This was on two rentals in two different villages.
Same with Electric and Water
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Ours are inclusive of the rent
All things are possible
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

We include ours in the rent.

Shane
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

From my experience, communal charges have always been included in the rent. The amount each apartment pays is according to the square metre value of each property. Amount will vary according to the number of properties in the complex ie small number = higher fees. Communal fees can include all or some of the following: communal area insurance, the communal water, lift maintenance and service fees, cleaning, gardening and although not applicable in your case swimming pool cleaning and maintenance. Utilities such as water, rates, sewerage, electricity, telephone & internet are usually in the name of the tenant. A guesstimate would be an average of about €40-€60 per month (no pool and 12-14 properties).
darrow

Post by darrow »

If you read Nigels Cyprus Property News, availsble online, yoi will find everything pertaining to proprrty including communal fees. They are the responsibility of the owner, not the tenant, in law! It is also obligortary to have communal insurance on buildings. Contents are for owner or tenant depending on whether furnished or unfurnished. His site is a mine of information on all things connected to proprty in Cyprus.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hi Tuppence

They are almost always included in the rental for an apartment. I think Trev means the local authority community charge (council,tax) rather than a complex communal fee. Most apartments will include all bills except electric but make sure it is written in the contract. Some will ask you to pay the water/local authority charge on top but almost never the comple. communal fees.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Legally the owner should pay and charge accordingly to the tenant. What happens quite often is the owner advertises the rent without the fees so as not make it look too expensive and then they tell the renter to pay the fees.
Sometimes some dodgy owners charge the tenant and don't pay the fees then when asked about the fees they blame the tenant for not paying them.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Varky

Post by Varky »

It all depends upon what is written into your tenancy agreement. All options within that agreement are possible. Therefore before entering into a tenancy agreement read the small print to avoid nasty surprises later on.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Thanks for replies.

We have lived here permanently for quite a long time & are currently in our 2nd rental. Both have been 3 bed detached properties in villages (with good landlords) & we have always had water & electricity in our name. Now we are getting older we would like to downsize, dispense with a garden & move nearer to town & more amenities. We are starting to look for an unfurnished apartment but they seem to be quite rare these days!

The unfurnished 2 bed apartment I saw advertised was asking for €50 communal charges on top of €500 per month rent. I thought this was a bit steep as I don’t think there is as much room for negotiation as there used to be. Never having looked at apartments before perhaps i'm a bit out of touch!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It would need to be exceptional for €500 per month, €300-350 would be more like it. Keep looking.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Tuppence wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:54 pm Thanks for replies.

We have lived here permanently for quite a long time & are currently in our 2nd rental. Both have been 3 bed detached properties in villages (with good landlords) & we have always had water & electricity in our name. Now we are getting older we would like to downsize, dispense with a garden & move nearer to town & more amenities. We are starting to look for an unfurnished apartment but they seem to be quite rare these days!

The unfurnished 2 bed apartment I saw advertised was asking for €50 communal charges on top of €500 per month rent. I thought this was a bit steep as I don’t think there is as much room for negotiation as there used to be. Never having looked at apartments before perhaps i'm a bit out of touch!
I live in a two bed two bath apt. Our rent is no where near €500 pm. I would say this is a very high price and continue with your search
All things are possible