Trump gets tough on terrorists

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
geoffreys

Re: Trump gets tough on terrorists

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 am Today's Observer sums things up pretty neatly:

"Theresa May's Washington triumph, if that is what it was, will be short-lived. On issues that matter to Britain, Trump cannot be trusted. The US President's first week has proved that he is like nothing that has gone on before. Trump is ignorant, prejudiced and vicious in ways that no American leader has been".

May's refusal to criticise Trump while in Turkey was shameful. Understandable perhaps because she desperately needs/wants to be loved by Trump, but shameful nonetheless.

Trump is hardly endearing himself to the Royal family either, having said that he will not take lectures on climate change from Prince Charles.

Truth be told, I don't think the "special relationship" with the UK means anything to Trump; he'll just do his own thing anyway. And contrary to Conoflex, I don't believe Trump will influence Brexit one iota.
There you go again, NEGATIVE WAVES. And who mentioned Brexit?
Geoff.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

geoffreys wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 am Today's Observer sums things up pretty neatly:

"Theresa May's Washington triumph, if that is what it was, will be short-lived. On issues that matter to Britain, Trump cannot be trusted. The US President's first week has proved that he is like nothing that has gone on before. Trump is ignorant, prejudiced and vicious in ways that no American leader has been".

May's refusal to criticise Trump while in Turkey was shameful. Understandable perhaps because she desperately needs/wants to be loved by Trump, but shameful nonetheless.

Trump is hardly endearing himself to the Royal family either, having said that he will not take lectures on climate change from Prince Charles.

Truth be told, I don't think the "special relationship" with the UK means anything to Trump; he'll just do his own thing anyway. And contrary to Conoflex, I don't believe Trump will influence Brexit one iota.
There you go again, NEGATIVE WAVES. And who mentioned Brexit?
Geoff.
It's from The Observer - what would you expect...? :roll:
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Trumps influence on Brexit will be huge. The Germans cannot afford to lose access to their two biggest markets and if the EU plays hardball with his perceived friends and allies, Trump will doubtless reciprocate. That is how his mind works.

If you check out a certain Ted Malloch who is likely to be the next US ambassador to the EU, you'll get a pretty good idea of what Trump is thinking !!!!!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Conoflex wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am Trumps influence on Brexit will be huge. The Germans cannot afford to lose access to their two biggest markets and if the EU plays hardball with his perceived friends and allies, Trump will doubtless reciprocate. That is how his mind works.

If you check out a certain Ted Malloch who is likely to be the next US ambassador to the EU, you'll get a pretty good idea of what Trump is thinking !!!!!
He was great on The Andrew Neil show! :lol:
Neil asked Malloch why on earth he’d want to be Ambassador to the EU.

AN: I mean you’re clearly not a great fan of Brussels or these bureaucrats like Juncker.

TM: Well, I had in a previous year a diplomatic post where I helped to bring down the Soviet Union, so maybe there’s another union that needs a little taming.

Later, Neil asked Malloch what he thought of the President of the EU Commission.

AN: What do you think of Mr Juncker?

TM: Well Mr Juncker was a very adequate mayor of some city in Luxembourg and maybe he should go back and do that again.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

So, the newly elected head of UKIP supports water-boarding.... much to the horror of some of his members and support of others. If ever a party never had direction.... meaning, or consistent policies.

Then again, their raison d'être has gone... and they need to disband soon.... the BNP awaits....
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 am So, the newly elected head of UKIP supports water-boarding.... much to the horror of some of his members and support of others. If ever a party never had direction.... meaning, or consistent policies.

Then again, their raison d'être has gone... and they need to disband soon.... the BNP awaits....
I think they'll concentrate on winning Stoke before thinking about disbanding... ;)
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Back on topic, Trump's Muslim ban hasn't been very well thought through methinks

Whilst he might want to work out a better vetting system for refugees and visitors and whilst he might want to apply economic pressure on states that promote and harbour terrorists, banning flights "over night" and turning back people with valid visas isn't a very good move (although it is a pretty clear statement of intent)
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:54 am
geoffreys wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 amThere you go again, NEGATIVE WAVES. And who mentioned Brexit? Geoff.

Conoflex did, on another thread ;)
But not on THIS thread!
Geoff.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 am
Jimgward wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 am So, the newly elected head of UKIP supports water-boarding.... much to the horror of some of his members and support of others. If ever a party never had direction.... meaning, or consistent policies.

I think they'll concentrate on winning Stoke before thinking about disbanding... ;)
And they will win Stoke, dead cert.
IMO
Geoff.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I have to say Geoff that I doubt it. I have lived in Stoke all my life until we came here. They were Labour through and through but nothing went right for Stoke, the Mines shut, most of the Pottery firms shut, the big steel works all closed down and it seemed and still seems that no money has been put into the regeneration of the area at all. I well remember a time in the 70's and 80's when you could just walk out of one Pottery job, trot along a hundred yards to the next Pot Bank and get taken on straight away. It was a very healthy Industry and when we left 10 years ago all there seemed to be were warehouse jobs. A big percentage of the residents are Asian so if they have a vote - do they? - then I doubt very much if UKIP will get in but maybe just maybe the Tories will!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgward

Firstly my apology for quoting IOKA rather than EOKA, it's all the IKEA ads ;)

Secondly, of course we expect a certain level of behaviour from people, whether in uniform or not. Sadly it's an imperfect world, the rules are often broken, that's the human race for you, nothing you or I can change. As for EOKA, it was you that brought murder in Cyprus into the thread, not I.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Poppy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 pm I have to say Geoff that I doubt it. I have lived in Stoke all my life until we came here. They were Labour through and through but nothing went right for Stoke, the Mines shut, most of the Pottery firms shut, the big steel works all closed down and it seemed and still seems that no money has been put into the regeneration of the area at all. I well remember a time in the 70's and 80's when you could just walk out of one Pottery job, trot along a hundred yards to the next Pot Bank and get taken on straight away. It was a very healthy Industry and when we left 10 years ago all there seemed to be were warehouse jobs. A big percentage of the residents are Asian so if they have a vote - do they? - then I doubt very much if UKIP will get in but maybe just maybe the Tories will!
Oh dear. You'll be crying in your beer on by-election night then.
Geoff.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Oddly enough , many of the most fervent opponents of EU freedom of movement rules in the UK are the settled Asian community.

They can't work out why qualified professionals from countries of their ethnic origin find it so difficult to move to the UK, whilst anyone regardless of qualification or integrity can move to the UK from Europe- I kid you not :shock:
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Poppy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 pm I have to say Geoff that I doubt it. I have lived in Stoke all my life until we came here. They were Labour through and through but nothing went right for Stoke, the Mines shut, most of the Pottery firms shut, the big steel works all closed down and it seemed and still seems that no money has been put into the regeneration of the area at all. I well remember a time in the 70's and 80's when you could just walk out of one Pottery job, trot along a hundred yards to the next Pot Bank and get taken on straight away. It was a very healthy Industry and when we left 10 years ago all there seemed to be were warehouse jobs. A big percentage of the residents are Asian so if they have a vote - do they? - then I doubt very much if UKIP will get in but maybe just maybe the Tories will!
Except that they voted 70% for Brexit...

...and the Labour candidate campaigned for 'Remain' (and called Brexit a “massive pile of shit”)...

So yeah, I think UKIP have it...
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

geoffreys wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:19 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:18 am And all the innocent ones as well.
A price to pay these days I am afraid. It is for the safety/security of all of us "westerners/Christians".
Geoff.
Absolutely.
Donald needs to ban immigrants. All of them.
I know he's already talking about sending them back to where they came from.
And Cyprus should do the same. Stop terrorism. Stop the immigrants.
And let's start with the Brits? What have they ever done except occupy Cyprus?
Time for them all to pack up their bags and go back home, and leave Cyprus for the Cypriots. They it will be clear of terrorists and immigrants also.

As Geoff says - a price to pay these days - for peace and security in Cyprus.
keving

Post by keving »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:00 pm

...and the Labour candidate campaigned for 'Remain' (and called Brexit a “massive pile of shit”)...

Dont you think that the 70% in Stoke who voted for Brexit know that Brexit is going to happen regardless of who they vote for in the bye election?

So, logic might suggest that they put Brexit to one side and vote for the candidate who can best represent their constituency?

That would be Labour.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Any party bur labour, they have come to there senses!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:06 pm
cypruschump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Dont you think that the 70% in Stoke who voted for Brexit know that Brexit is going to happen regardless of who they vote for in the bye election?

So, logic might suggest that they put Brexit to one side and vote for the candidate who can best represent their constituency?

That would be Labour.
Oh you do make me laugh keving! :lol:
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I am rather inclined to be with Poppy on this one. I was born in Newcastle-Under-Lyme right next door to Stoke-on-Trent and most of my family were and indeed some still are traditional Labour supporters, serving as they did/do on the local council in both areas. The majority of people in both areas are still very much in the labour camp. I would suggest the vote for Brexit was more an anti Tory vote rather than support for UKIP but they could possibly allow the Conservatives to win the by election if they went against their traditional route. We shall see and in my personal case hope.

Rita
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:33 am This puts everything into perspective very neatly:

Maybe the Terrorists drive buses ????