The Garden of Memories

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Garden of Memories

Post by Dominic »

Back in June we were approached by Geoff Eccleston. He wanted help creating the online presence of a charitable drive he was organising for the St Michael's Hospice. The aim was to build a peaceful oasis for their residents and visitors to relax in. The appeal is now well under way, and construction of the Garden began some time ago. They are still short of their financial target though, and need money for ongoing maintenance and a wheelchair ramp. With that in mind we thought we would do a blog showing you how far the project has already come. It would be great if you could dig your hands into your pockets and help them hit their total, but even if you can't, have a look at the blog and see what is possible if a group of people put their minds to it...

Read the article and chat about it below... 

garden_of_memories_appeal_fb.jpg
garden_of_memories_appeal_fb.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Re: The Garden of Memories

Post by PaphosAL »

Wow! What a transformation in the space of a few months, Dominic! 10/10 to that team!

Pic #21 (where they are spreading the concrete) reminded me of a case back in 2001 where my friend Barry from Whitby was doing a similar exercise up in Nata, on the old coffee house him and his OH had bought.

I notice in your photo that all the concrete spreaders are wearing proper PPE legware. Not Barry! He jumped into 12" deep concrete wearing only shorts, socks and trainers, the silly sod! Finished up in the Blue Cross hospital for a week, with serious Lime burns...

Possible suggestion for the ramp idea, Dom. Existing steps really need a banister on the wall, then a handrail on the dropside, and non-slip on the treads, for safety. Howzabout a disabled ramp at the other end, again with safety rails? So steps and ramp kind of safely meet each other in the middle down at garden level?

Just a thought- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

Thank you so much Dominic for your wonderful presentation of our garden project, simply grand.
For Al and others information we stll have to install railings, a 2 metre water feature, solar lighting, complete the picnic area and create a planting area for donated memorial plants and of course dig out and install the wheelchair ramp which will go over the remaining steps, with hand rail. I am anticipating all the work except the ramp will be completed by Christmas including our unique coloured glass 16 metre mural.
As Dominic mentioned we are still a little short to complete the ramp which will be installed during March ready for a spring opening of the garden.
Regards to all
Geoff Eccleston
Mark

Post by Mark »

What an achievement, congratulations to Geoff and the team, and thank you Dominic for the update.

I for one will support this worthy cause with a donation, but not via PayPal etc, but via Mona at the forthcoming Christmas fayre at the hospice.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You've done a tremendous job Geoff, and your team know exactly what they are doing.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Simply FANTASTIC !
Louise :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Christmas fayre is on 15th December, 10 till 12midday, at the hospice, apparently all are welcome. Geoff I will leave a donation with Mona.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

Thank you Mark, I hope to be there myself along with our project manager, Steve Wright. Please ask us anything you wish about the project and we will try and answer any queries.
I look forward to meeting anyone from this cracking forum.
Geoff