Office 2016

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
exodus

Office 2016

Post by exodus »

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy on disc of Microsoft Office 2016?
Thank you,
Amos.
ApusApus

Re: Office 2016

Post by ApusApus »

Apparently, you can't buy it on disc, only as a download! This may help http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-adv ... e-3649342/

Shane
exodus

Post by exodus »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:58 pm Apparently, you can't buy it on disc, only as a download! This may help http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-adv ... e-3649342/

Shane
Thank you very much for that, most useful link.
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We had to download ours off the Microsoft site. You can buy licenses cheaply on eBay and Amazon. It's a bit of a bizarre loophole. You actually buy an old computer which is attached to the license. They email you the codes and you can pick up the computer from their factory, should you so desire. They also send you the link to the Microsoft download site.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:55 pm We had to download ours off the Microsoft site. You can buy licenses cheaply on eBay and Amazon. It's a bit of a bizarre loophole. You actually buy an old computer which is attached to the license. They email you the codes and you can pick up the computer from their factory, should you so desire. They also send you the link to the Microsoft download site.
Thanks for that.
The whole thing seems to be a rip-off by Microsoft, the current 365 office you have to subscribe to!
Your loophole could be most interesting method.
Amos.
Band

Post by Band »

exodus wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:36 amThe whole thing seems to be a rip-off by Microsoft, the current 365 office you have to subscribe to!
That is the way most software works these days. So long as the price isn't too high, it seems to make sense as, that way, you will always have the most up-to-date version.

I bought Office 365 in the UK for £59, but that covers 5 PCs/Laptops, plus 5 mobile devices and 5Tb of cloud storage!

Works for me.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Band wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 am
exodus wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:36 amThe whole thing seems to be a rip-off by Microsoft, the current 365 office you have to subscribe to!
That is the way most software works these days. So long as the price isn't too high, it seems to make sense as, that way, you will always have the most up-to-date version.

I bought Office 365 in the UK for £59, but that covers 5 PCs/Laptops, plus 5 mobile devices and 5Tb of cloud storage!

Works for me.
Well it is OK at that sort of price, but like most things they'll jack up the price as time passes until it becomes unviable.
I like to keep my shekels in my pocket - not fund the Bill Gates lifestyle!

Have nice day,
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The problem a lot of the older products have, is that they are essentially finished products. There is no incentive for the vast majority of users to use Office 2016 over Office 2000.

Indeed, often, the newer updates make things worse. Look at the dreaded ribbon.

But without the need for newer features, they won't sell any more products, which is what they need to do to survive. So by switching to a subscription model they are ensuring a continuning income. It isn't all "take" though. You do get the latest version of the software, which comes with the latest security updates.

Of course, subscription based software also makes piracy a lot more difficult. Which was probably one of the main reasons they introduced it. As ever, the consumer winds up getting what they deserve...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Dominic wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 am The problem a lot of the older products have, is that they are essentially finished products. There is no incentive for the vast majority of users to use Office 2016 over Office 2000.

Indeed, often, the newer updates make things worse. Look at the dreaded ribbon.

But without the need for newer features, they won't sell any more products, which is what they need to do to survive. So by switching to a subscription model they are ensuring a continuning income. It isn't all "take" though. You do get the latest version of the software, which comes with the latest security updates.

Of course, subscription based software also makes piracy a lot more difficult. Which was probably one of the main reasons they introduced it. As ever, the consumer winds up getting what they deserve...
A kind neighbour of mine has just come back from a visit to the "north". He purchased for me a pirate copy of Office 2013 with licence key for just 20 TL.
Looks like you were correct Dominic as to why Microsoft have gone down the subscription route.
Amos.
Band

Post by Band »

exodus wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:21 pmA kind neighbour of mine has just come back from a visit to the "north". He purchased for me a pirate copy of Office 2013 with licence key for just 20 TL.
If you had said at the start that you were after an illegal copy, I wouldn't have needed to waste my time replying!

Sadly it is people who happily buy pirate software who put the price up for those of us who prefer to operate legally.
Varky

Post by Varky »

It is possible to buy Office 2016 with a one off payment if you delve around the Microsoft download website. I know as I bought the programme last year.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Band wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 pm
exodus wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:21 pmA kind neighbour of mine has just come back from a visit to the "north". He purchased for me a pirate copy of Office 2013 with licence key for just 20 TL.
If you had said at the start that you were after an illegal copy, I wouldn't have needed to waste my time replying!

Sadly it is people who happily buy pirate software who put the price up for those of us who prefer to operate legally.
Well I did not ask him to buy it - he was just doing what he thought was a favour for me being new here.
What you say is true of course. I would prefer the proper thing.
Amos.