Foinikas Revisited

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Foinikas Revisited

Post by Dominic »

When we first blogged about Foinikas it was springtime, and the abandoned village was bathed in a sea of yellow. It was always an essential destination on our holidays, but we had never been in Spring, so it came as a pleasant surprise. However, it made it difficult to explore, as you never know what you might tread on when you have to wade through thigh-high flowers. As frequently happens with our blogs, people posted more information about the site in the comments. Of particular interest was the age of Foinikas. Apparently, it used to be the regional head quarters for the Nights Templar, when they ruled the island. So we decided to pay another visit a few days ago, and explore it in more depth...

Read the blog and chat about it below...

foinikas_revisited_08.jpg
foinikas_revisited_08.jpg (142.16 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
2QuarterPints

Re: Foinikas Revisited

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Another excellent blog and we are now planning a trip out, probably on Friday, to have a go at finding your caches.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Simply fascinating ! Thank you once more ! I was told that the small stones in the walls were to prevent snakes going into the spaces between the bigger stones.
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oooo if that is the case it would certainly get my vote. Don't even want to think about that. :shock:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Somebody posted this photo on the Paphos Life Facebook Page as a reply to the blog link we posted. Looks like that building which I said was probably a shop but could have been a school, was indeed a school. The photo shows some writing the teacher had left.

What I don't understand is what the writing means though. It is in Turkish, and refers to dates in 1952. Can anybody shed any further light?

foinikas_school.jpg
foinikas_school.jpg (85.47 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Very enjoyable, Dominic, thanks.

I happen to be fascinated by the Templars and their rise and subsequent fall....

I know that this village is alleged to be one of the castle's, for sure they were strongly placed in Cyprus at the time.