From Blue Badge To Eternity...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: blue badge

Post by Jim B »

Jackie

When you lower standards in food production or manufactured goods it lowers safety parameters. A lot of equipment manufactured in China is unsafe and in many cases downright dangerous and is blocked by the EU; these are restrictions the likes of Liam Fox wants to do away with. At least in Cyprus we will not have to worry about that sort of thing ending up in the shops.

Jim
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Jim just where have you read that Lliam Fox wants to do away with safety standards? Do you not think that the UK are perfectly capable of setting vigorous standards when Trade Deals are done? As to Cyprus I am certain that there are cheap Chinese goods in issue there ,specifically electrical - Haier for one!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Poppy
I did not say do away with Safety Standards, I said lower them and you can see where I read it if you read one of the links I posted above. You are right the UK standards in general are presently vigorous and as I said earlier many manufacturers in countries Lliam Fox is trying to make trade deals with do not meet those vigorous standards; chlorine washed chicken, hormone pumped beef and GM crops from the States spring to mind.
Haier may be cheap but they do meet current regulations and you can buy their goods in the UK.

http://www.haier.com/uk/?gclid=EAIaIQob ... gKA-vD_BwE

No, I don't shop in Pop Life but just because items may look cheap and nasty doesn't mean they don't meet the current regulations, The Trading Standards in Cyprus do confiscate unsafe items either at the entry port or remove them from the shops selling them. I wouldn't be foolish enough to suggest they catch everything but they try. If you can recall prior to joining the EU Cyprus was a free for all with any old junk imported, nowadays standards have risen considerably and yes it's not perfect yet but is a vast improvement to what it was.

Really you should read what your Brexit Leaders are saying though you won't find the information in the likes of the Mail, Telegraph, Times, Express because they don't want you to know.

Jim
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

I totally agree Jim, & after the announcement concerning the punitive tariff of over 200% that the Americans have placed on the aircraft made in the Shorts factory in Belfast this morning, making them approximately 4 times more expensive to buy,
( putting thousands of jobs at risk ). :shock:

Should serve as a wake up call to everyone that thought it was going to be a ' walk in the park ' making trade deals outside the EU, especially with such a 'protectionist ' President
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Tariffs work both ways - tit for tat.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Unless Pop life sell Blue badges, what the Hell has it got to do with this thread. :roll:
Royal

Post by Royal »

Jim B,

I really wish that you and others had more faith in the U.K.

We had, and still have our own Trading Standards Department. Although for the last 50 years or so they have been enforcing EU Trading Standards, do you really think that after 19 Mar 19 that any old rubbish can suddenly be imported to the UK and sold to an unsuspecting and gullible public? I don't.

Future Trade Deals will clearly set out what the UK expects with regard to minimum safety standards. As far as Liam Fox is concerned - he didn't say that we will drop our Standards post Brexit. He said that he was 'relaxed' about chlorine washed chicken. He didn't say that it would be allowed, or that he was all for it. His comment was limited to that one single item - nothing else. More twisting of words to make an argument work...

Even at present, with the EU Trading Standards in place, we have had the salmonella, BSE, horsemeat, putrid chicken and infected eggs scandals. There will always be greedy people who will seek to circumvent the laws and regulations in order to make a quick buck.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Really Jim you make too many assumptions!
1) Who said I was happy giving the richest 5% massive tax breaks? Not me! Although I do happen to believe that taxes cannot be so punitive that people move out.( I think you will find that it has been proven that lowering tax rates to the wealthy actually ensures more money is collected)
2) You state that I am not really concerned about good standards and thereby implying that the UK will not maintain high standards. Rubbish! I am just as concerned about standards as anyone else in their right mind. May I also remind you that the EU are also negotiating Trade Deals with the USA?
3) Who said that leading Brexiteers want to lower standards? Was it by any chance you?
4) Who said that the majority of EU citizens in the EU do not sustain themselves? Not me! I believe what I said is that we can now choose who we want and block entry to those who cannot sustain themselves - just a subtle difference! And yes you are quite right that we could have done this before and chose not to so there is my point that due to Brexit we will be doing it so one advantage of Brexit!!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Royal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am As far as Liam Fox is concerned - he didn't say that we will drop our Standards post Brexit.
And I didn't say that either, I said they would "lower" which is totally different from what you are implying I said.

As for any old rubbish being imported that entirely depends on how far this government is prepared to "relax" the standards don't you think?

There is a vast difference between minimum and acceptable standards, I deal with people trying to sell substandard electrical equipment regularly and believe me I wouldn't want any of it anywhere near my home.

You are right of course, there are some unsavoury and greedy people in all walks of life but there is recourse under law under EU Regulations, the same regulations you agree with Mr Fox wants to relax.

And WHL, best direct your question at Poppy and ask her; I'm just responding to points she raised.

Jim
Royal

Post by Royal »

Jim B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:30 am
Royal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am As far as Liam Fox is concerned - he didn't say that we will drop our Standards post Brexit.
And I didn't say that either, I said they would "lower" which is totally different from what you are implying I said.

As for any old rubbish being imported that entirely depends on how far this government is prepared to "relax" the standards don't you think?

There is a vast difference between minimum and acceptable standards, I deal with people trying to sell substandard electrical equipment regularly and believe me I wouldn't want any of it anywhere near my home.

You are right of course, there are some unsavoury and greedy people in all walks of life but there is recourse under law under EU Regulations, the same regulations you agree with Mr Fox wants to relax.

And WHL, best direct your question at Poppy and ask her; I'm just responding to points she raised.

Jim
Jim,

A drop in standards is no different from lower standards, surely? How is what I said different from what you said?

Also, Liam Fox has NOT said that he WANTS to relax regulations. I repeat, that what he said was he is RELAXED about chlorine washed chicken. One item. Not supportive. Not wishing to allow. Just RELAXED about it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Can admin split this thread and get back to the Blue badge questions, thanks
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

Why, it wasn't your question.

It's the nature of debate to deviate from the original topic.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Royal

Post by Royal »

It was WHL who first deviated by mentioning "what if...after Brexit?"

I think that the original question was answered - Yes.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Royal

Love it :lol:

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Royal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am Jim B,

I really wish that you and others had more faith in the U.K.
Royal

I really do have faith in the UK; I just don't have any faith in the scallywags and shysters who are presently running it. In any other walk of life Liam Fox would be serving a prison sentence.

I misunderstood your term "drop' and misconstrued it as in "drop the ball" rather than "drop down"; I apologise for any confusion.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: From Blue Badge To Eternity...

Post by Dominic »

I have renamed this thread "From Blue Badge To Eternity..."

There, that should placate everybody, and peace will now once more descend upon the valley.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm WHL

Why, it wasn't your question.

It's the nature of debate to deviate from the original topic.

Jackie

Who made you admin???..... :roll:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm I have renamed this thread "From Blue Badge To Eternity..."

There, that should placate everybody, and peace will now once more descend upon the valley.
Maybe wishful thinking there Dom!

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dom

Love it !

Jackie