Greek Extremists

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
geoffreys

Greek Extremists

Post by geoffreys »

Several members have asked me what I meant by Greek Extremists (mentioned by me on another thread).
More correctly GC extremists - usually right wing, often middle class and quite well heeled. Often in business here.
These people totally dislike (I hesitate to use the words hate or racism, others might though) Turks and TCs.
They want Cyprus to be as it was in 1974 before the occupation of the "north".
I have no problem with that as far as it goes, each to his/her own views of the Cyprob. although I cannot see it ever happening.
Problems can arise, however, on forums where these people target any user who dares to say anything positive about the "north" and the situation there and generally.
I will say no more, no need.
Just be aware they are around ready to pounce; they don't even like the "north" being mentioned..
Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreys

Re: Greek Extremists

Post by geoffreys »

mouse wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 pm To the best of my knowledge, to be PC, one should use the phrase " the illegally occupied north of Cyprus" .
I too would like to see unification, just don't see how it could be done, they left it decades too late.
Nor could anyone else, which is why yet again the re-unification talks in Switzerland hit the buffers. The "divide" is just too great and the extremists don't help in finding a viable solution.
Geoff.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Greek Cypriots NEVER use the word "North" always "Occupied " whether they live on the Island or elsewhere in the world
and I do the same........I suppose it comes down to how long you've had an association with the Island........
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Yioula wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 pm Greek Cypriots NEVER use the word "North" always "Occupied " whether they live on the Island or elsewhere in the world
and I do the same........I suppose it comes down to how long you've had an association with the Island........
...and on what basis!!
Geoff
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Should you need to ask that question !!
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Yioula wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm Should you need to ask that question !!
It would seem so. There are several names, used according to you affiliation/religion/race/etc.
TRNC
The North
Occupied Territory
Invaded territory
Illegally occupied territory
etc
They all refer to the top one third (approx.) of Cyprus.

Then we have:
The border
The ceasefire demarcation line
The Green LIne
They all refer to where the RoC is adjacent to the ....... (add the one you prefer from the first above list).

Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

And theres me thinking ''Lord Haw Haw'' had died. :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Surely, as we are guests in their country, we should use the same terms they use?

I know when I visited Denmark, I got cross to hear the IRA referred to as "Freedom Fighters".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 am I suppose it depends on which side of the divide you live as to how refer to it....
How true.
What do YOU call it Hudswell? I call it the TRNC.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The only way to refer to it is the UN Internationally recognized legal Term term which is ''Cyprus'' no south no north....there is no such place as the trnc....only the occupied north of Cyprus. no matter who many times the forums cheerleaders for the fiefdom try and tell us other wise.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 pm The only way to refer to it is the UN Internationally recognized legal Term term which is ''Cyprus'' no south no north....there is no such place as the trnc....only the occupied north of Cyprus. no matter who many times the forums cheerleaders for the fiefdom try and tell us other wise.
Why are you in denial? TRNC exists, just as the RoC does,end of.
Are you a Greek Cypriot?
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Geoffrey we know your the forums chief cheerleader for the fiefdom, you make that clear with every post you make.....I am not in denial, a part of the Republic of Cyprus was invaded and occupied by Turkey, you can call it what you like, how about ''Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Geoffreys northern Utopia'' that has a nice ring to it, dont you think...but what ever its called its Illegal.. and Geoffrey old boy... youve asked me if im a Greek Cypriot, many times, and its still a no...is the United Nations Secretary general a Greek Cypriot, because he dosnt recognize the occupied north either....
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 pm Geoffrey we know your the forums chief cheerleader for the fiefdom, you make that clear with every post you make.....I am not in denial, a part of the Republic of Cyprus was invaded and occupied by Turkey, you can call it what you like, how about ''Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Geoffreys northern Utopia'' that has a nice ring to it, dont you think...but what ever its called its Illegal.. and Geoffrey old boy... youve asked me if im a Greek Cypriot, many times, and its still a no...is the United Nations Secretary general a Greek Cypriot, because he dosnt recognize the occupied north either....
Thanks for that.
Only Turkey recognizes the TRNC, but recognized or not the fact is that it exists.
I don't recall asking if you were a Greek Cypriot before - my apologies if I did.
So what is your Nationality? I am British.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I really dont want to know what you are Geoff thanks all the same... Im only interested in what people say, that makes a person... rather then what passport they have.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm I really dont want to know what you are Geoff thanks all the same... Im only interested in what people say, that makes a person... rather then what passport they have.
No problem WHL.
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This forum is based in the region of Paphos.

It is for people living in and visiting Paphos, and those interested in Paphos.

As such, it considers itself to be a guest of the good people of Paphos, and Cyprus.

Consequently, using language like "TRNC" is just being rude. Simple as that. I won't tell people to stop it, I will just say that it reflects badly on them, nobody else.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

What term should be used then to describe the land over the green line in the North of the Island ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I am not going to dictate how anybody should speak. The official line is "Occupied Cyprus", I believe, but I normally call it Northern Cyprus myself. That is based on Geographic, rather than political boundaries though.

Personally, unless the topic of conversation is to do with reunifying the island, I don't tend to discuss it anyway. So the problem doesn't arise.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm …using language like "TRNC" is just being rude. Simple as that. I won't tell people to stop it, I will just say that it reflects badly on them, nobody else.
I disagree.

ISIS is neither a state, nor is it recognised as such by the international community. But the media and this Forum has used the term repeatedly.

Similarly, the TRNC is not a recognised country, but the media and the international community understand what (and where) it is.

Language is all about being understood.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's completely different. When people talk about ISIS they are talking about a group of terrorists.