Paphos 2017 European Capital of Culture

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Paphos 2017 European Capital of Culture

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Hi All

Does anyone know of any events for next year in relation to this ? Is anything planned as a New Year celebration ? I have looked on the main events calendar on the the internet and it is blank http://www.pafos2017.eu/event-directory-2/?lang=en

Alan
Lofos-5

Re: Paphos 2017 European Capital of Culture

Post by Lofos-5 »

We haven't noticed yet much to announce the start of the Paphos 2017 European Capital of Culture year either... - one thing I think I have observed over the last few days is that at several entrance points to the city new "statues" are being built - there is one on TOTK and a similar one close to Lidl's (near Viofos actually - what is happening to that shop by the way?) on the Mesogyi (Polis) road.

The new town square will be nice too I am sure, but probably not ready for quite a while. Same story with Tala square.

A.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I had an emailthis morning with lots of details. The opening is scheduled for the weekend of the 28/29 Jan. There is to be a walk around Paphos Old Town on The morning of 28th. All the venues for the various events will be visited. Which will be useful, as some of them I have never previously heard of. The opening ceremony is slated for the evening of the 28th. Probably at the Markideon, (if it is finished in time). There are a selection of other events during that week end. Music,concerts, numerous choirs. Display of art and so on.there are to be information kiosks one is in Kennedy Square, one near the harbour and one with a Turkish sounding name.I think. Just hope that all the buildings and streets ,squares etc will be finished in time. Driving through the old town yesterday I noticed that in the areas which have been re vamped, young trees are being planted. It will take several years before they can give any welcome shade, though. I wonder if there will be any shops open though on Makarious St to encourage people to go there? Also where and how close the car parks will be situated. Time will tell!

Dee
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

See Andrew Oliver on FaceAche - he has loads of details on the events...
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

You may find this Facebook page useful:

https://www.facebook.com/pafos2017/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Pete
mike strand

Post by mike strand »

The City of Culture 2017 in the UK is Hull and from the report on the BBC News website this morning it would appear the folk there have been suffering in the same way as the shops in the old town, and there too many venues will not be anywhere near ready in time. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38358407
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »