So, there is a Magic Money Tree after all?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: So, there is a Magic Money Tree after all?

Post by Jimgward »

should have posted this in here....

panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

I think she should ask the audience.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:12 am
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:50 am
Hudswell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am Paisley was not a terrorist...however McGuiness and Adams were....
Definition.....

Paisley almost certainly never pulled a trigger....

I don't believe Adams did either..

McGuiness, yes.

However, many believe that not only was Paisley as member, he was a prime member of terrorist organisations and not only that, stirred up more antagonism and thence more conflict, than nay other person in NI.

Pedantics
Jim, I am certainly not going to get into a depth discussion here, it just takes things down a whole world of pain....Paisley was many things but he was not a terrorist, Both Adams and McGuinness were high ranking members members of the IRA, how do you think they achieved those positions? and both have blood on their hands....Sinn Fein is the political arm of the IRA, the only reason they came around the table was that they were losing the war and their grass roots support was fed up,with the violence they delivered.
And you think Paisley was not linked to terrorism? The entire DUP is even now still linked.

Want about the Trimble quote above?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:23 am
Hudswell wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm Has anyone actually taken the time to,read the document? It seems pretty reasonable to me, it is not a coalition, it is a "Confidence and Supply" agreement where the DUP will support the Government in regard to BREXIT and other key areas of government.

Given that one of your, and your fellow Brexiteer's, criticisms of the EU is "non-elected representation", I trust you had your electoral say in the DUP being 'bribed' to serve alongside Theresa May ;)
That point always seems to get missed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You missed the point HiC was making completely. It had nothing to with Ireland.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

You will have to explain that to me as well Dominic. As far as I can see HIC makes no valid point as the 10 members of the DUP are elected members of Parliament,they are not part of the Tory Government as no coalition has been agreed purely an agreement to vote with the Government on certain issues so is HIC suggesting that we should have had another referendum to approve this decision? He was just making a tongue in cheek remark in an effort to irritate but it did not work!
Last edited by Poppy on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:06 pm Paisley was a lot of things, but he was never a terrorist.
He may or may not have actually pressed a trigger; I doubt whether we will ever know. However, his crowd were responsible for many Republican deaths and, shamefully, there were more murders of NI civilians perpetrated by them than by the Republicans.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:23 pm No the republicans tended to go for the Protestant civilians, or wives and families of service personnel, government officials...of,course service personnel...sometimes you people..well just you people...you sit, you google...
It is well known that the IRA targeted service personnel, police and government officials. They did target civilians in NI, but mainly those members of UVF/UDA etc. They were never known for targeting civilians based on religion.

The UDA and UVF did kill many civilians. Many on information passed by the British military. They also targetted Catholics, purely based on religion.

So both sides committed attrocities, no doubt and to try to point score on one being better or worse than the other, is wrong. They were both bad.

As to Paisley, why would Trimble, who has been photographed himself in paramilitary outfit, say that Paisley was a huge part of the troubles? You have avoided that a few times now....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgward

I take it that you missed the Omagh bombing. Twenty nine dead, nine of those children, and over two hundred wounded, many with life changing injuries. Your claim re. civilian UDA/UVF being the main target is not true. They also targeted service families, innocent women and children, tell it like it was.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 pm Jimgward

I take it that you missed the Omagh bombing. Twenty nine dead, nine of those children, and over two hundred wounded, many with life changing injuries. Your claim re. civilian UDA/UVF being the main target is not true. They also targeted service families, innocent women and children, tell it like it was.

Jackie
I said, 'based on religion' - I missed the families of service people etc. but yes, of course the IRA committed atrocities.... including people from all sides.... like Omagh.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:27 pm Yes Jim, the paramilitaries all killed, maimed, destroyed lives and were all murdering vicious scum, but as a British Soldier I never differentiated between the various groups. But let's give PIRA some credit they were the most proficient by far, targeting civilians on both sides of the divide, other paramilitary groups, on both sides of the divide..Government institutions, people,and infrastructure, British Service personnel, their families, including their children, not only in Northern Ireland, but in the wider UK and abroad on the European mainland, and of course UK based civilians...and the only reason they stopped? Because the leadership, that would be the likes of Adams and McGuinness realised that their campaign of terror was failing, the people were sick to death of the death and violence, they had lost the war and turned to the ballot box. The DUP are a legitimate Political Party, their views may not be to everyone's taste but they represent the views of ther constituents...have every right to sit in Parliament and every right to fight for those that voted for them there. The outrage demonstrated by Labour and others at the DUP supporting the Conservatives is hyprocracy of the highest order, Taking every opportunity to whip up hatred and actually "egging on" potentially violent protest..I have no problem with a Conservative DUP alliance, however the thought of Labour getting anywhere near a seat of power disturbs me intensely.
I agree with what you have said, except the end part.....

Would you be happy wth Sinn Fein sitting in Westminster? Or forming a coalition with Labour?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Not based on religion, well please explain the exact basis for the killing of innocent women and children, not only in Ireland, but on the UK mainland.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm Jim

Not based on religion, well please explain the exact basis for the killing of innocent women and children, not only in Ireland, but on the UK mainland.

Jackie
It wasnt religious. It was political, albeit an armed and frankly disgusting way to try to achieve a political aim. They never, however, targetted people based on religion. That was the point.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:49 pm Of course not, would you?
As much as I dislike to see the Tories in bed with the DUP...

None of the NI political parties should be part of a coalition, whilst the agreement is in place and particularly whilst no agreement on Stormont can be reached.

What’s the difference between Sinne Féin and the DUP?
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Well I don't know how the thread got here from the Magic Money Tree but I do know that Politics can seriously damage your health if you take it seriously.

Politics should be really be taken with a pinch of something...
Here's a lighter look on recent events.

You don't need to be on twitter to sing along.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

panoscouse

That's the way debate goes ;)

Jackie