Ablation of the hip

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tuppence

Ablation of the hip

Post by Tuppence »

Does anyone have experience of this procedure, was it successful & if so which surgeon would you recommend?
Sadie

Re: Ablation of the hip

Post by Sadie »

I have no experience of it, but I know the surgeon who did my hip replacement has experience of this.
Dr Kambouris 26931300
He’s an amazing surgeon
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
jeba

Post by jeba »

I guess you mean hip replacement, not just ablation. If it was my hip which needed replacement, I´d consider having it done at a hospital offering robot assisted operations. If what I read about knee replacements is true for hip replacements as well (and I´d suspect most of it is), it will come with less pain, less need for postoperative pain medication and a shorter rehabilitation phase.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Ablation is the removal of tissue AND not a hip replacement. Consult Dr Nikandrou at the Blue Cross Hospital.
Last edited by Lincoln on Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

It is so difficult to find out information about doctors. You can only go on personal experiences & the stories you mostly hear about are the surgeries that went wrong, you don’t hear so much about all the successful ones.

Jeba - Radiofrequency ablation (RFA), also known as radio frequency neurolysis, is a minimally invasive treatment option used to reduce pain commonly caused by osteoarthritis. The treatment desensitizes targeted nerves using radiowaves to provide pain relief.

Dr Dimitris Aspros at the Evangelismos does this procedure but it seems that no-one has experienced this treatment.

Sadie – Thank you for your recommendation. Do you know if Dr Kambouris is on GESY.

Lincoln – Thank you for your input. On the Blue Cross website Dr Economides deals with general surgery & urology & Dr Nicandrou is the orthopaedic surgeon.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Tuppence wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:55 am It is so difficult to find out information about doctors. You can only go on personal experiences & the stories you mostly hear about are the surgeries that went wrong, you don’t hear so much about all the successful ones.

Jeba - Radiofrequency ablation (RFA), also known as radio frequency neurolysis, is a minimally invasive treatment option used to reduce pain commonly caused by osteoarthritis. The treatment desensitizes targeted nerves using radiowaves to provide pain relief.

Dr Dimitris Aspros at the Evangelismos does this procedure but it seems that no-one has experienced this treatment.

Sadie – Thank you for your recommendation. Do you know if Dr Kambouris is on GESY.

Lincoln – Thank you for your input. On the Blue Cross website Dr Economides deals with general surgery & urology & Dr Nicandrou is the orthopaedic surgeon.

Yes Dr Kambouris is on Gesy.
Having researched ablation I’m thinking a neurosurgeon is your best option.
Hopefully I’ve attached names of neurosurgeons at Evangalismos hospital, 2 of which I have experience of
Attachments
IMG_1617.jpeg
IMG_1617.jpeg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 823 times
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Thank you Sadie for your research & input.
Looking at the x-ray our doctor says it looks like arthritis in my husband’s hip & has given a referral for an orthopaedic surgeon. It is not advanced enough to require a hip replacement but is causing a lot of pain when walking. It may be that physiotherapy will help but I’m just trying to find out as much information as possible before deciding which orthopaedic surgeon to see.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Dr Aspros at Evangelimos did Rosemary's knee replacement. Would recommend him. He also took xrays of Rosemary's back and said she would need to see a neuro surgeon, but did say he would not recommend back surgery, but treat with physio instead.
We know he is a really good surgeeon. Locals will tell you people come from all over the island to see him. He was trained in Edinbugh, which is world renowned and has worked at various hospitals in the UK including Nuffield.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Hi John, the wife had that very same Surgeon for a full hip replacement recently, she was eventually fine... Done on Gesy..

But I spent a full day in there having facial Plastic Sugary last week, I spent a full days recovery after 36 stitches, not offered even a drink down in the Dudgeon...not complaining but it was a very long thirsty day..
Jim.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Anarita John, thank you. Quite a few people have recommended Dr Aspros.

JimX, that's a lot of stitches. Hope you are ok.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Hi too had Plastic Surgery at the Evanglismos like Jim X. Surgeon was excellent but after the surgery I was sent to a another room and I was cold, no one came to see me after about 4 hours my husband went to find out if I could go home, surgeon nowhere to be seen but a very nice nurse name Chris came in to see me. After another half an hour I was told to go to the reception desk where the cannula was taken out and the Surgeon came rushing back to say I could go. Thank goodness my husband was with me as he went to get me a coffee to warm me up. Not impressed.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Tremigirl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:49 pm Hi too had Plastic Surgery at the Evanglismos like Jim X. Surgeon was excellent but after the surgery I was sent to a another room and I was cold, no one came to see me after about 4 hours my husband went to find out if I could go home, surgeon nowhere to be seen but a very nice nurse name Chris came in to see me. After another half an hour I was told to go to the reception desk where the cannula was taken out and the Surgeon came rushing back to say I could go. Thank goodness my husband was with me as he went to get me a coffee to warm me up. Not impressed.
Each bed has an alarm bell, if you need assistance you should press it and someone would have come and put the heat on, if you had asked them!
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
JimX

Post by JimX »

No bell on my recovery chair Uncle, it was very cold and I had to spend 5 hours down in the dudgeon, not a nice experience at all...

John thanks for the enquiry but you have to be patient with this type of surgery, stitches out Thursday I hope, I look like the invisible man... :roll:
Jim.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Same as me Jim x. There was a nurse and we asked her but she said she wasn’t dealing with me. ☹️☹️