Do I need to register a small drone

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
tonee

Do I need to register a small drone

Post by tonee »

Hi,thinking of getting a small drone for personal use and under the 250 limit,would I have to register it anywhere.See loads of small fun ones in Jumbo,would be using it just for recreational use.Thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Do I need to register a small drone

Post by Dominic »

Read up on it here:

https://drones.gov.cy/open-category/

Training is not required only if you are using very light drones:

if the drone bears a CE class mark 0, you only must be familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions; or b. with privately built drones with a weight less than 250g, you are not required to undergo any training.

Bear in mind though that this doesn't mean you can fly it wherever to want to. Also, the very light drones will be prone to wind issues. Finally, the Jumbo drones have crap cameras, which is why they are so cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I started with a Jumbo drone, before I got my current one. I wasn't bothered about the picture quality as I didn't want to publish anything. I just wanted to see if I could fly one without wasting too much money. It was perfectly good for my purposes. I remember flying it around Paphos dump while I got my aerial bearings.

Do bear in mind that you can't fly it just anywhere though. Steer well clear of the airport and don't fly it directly over Archaeological sites without permission.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
tonee

Re: Do I need to register a small drone

Post by tonee »

Thanks for the reply Dominic