Citrine in Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Citrine in Cyprus

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The recent articles and drone films from Dominic, showing the progress of the Paphos to Polis highway, gave me the idea of doing some more research on Wikipedia about the lovely Citrines I found in the area before they started with heavy machinery...

"Citrine is a variety of quartz whose color ranges from pale yellow to brown due to a submicroscopic distribution of colloidal ferric hydroxide impurities. Natural citrines are rare; most commercial citrines are heat-treated amethysts or smoky quartzes. However, a heat-treated amethyst will have small lines in the crystal, as opposed to a natural citrine's cloudy or smoky appearance.

Citrine, like most other quartz, forms primarily magmatically in pegmatite with a granitic composition. However, natural citrines are quite rare and pale yellow with slight pleochroism. Most citrines on the market are orange-yellow, burnt amethysts.

Like most other varieties of quartz, citrine is processed into jewelry stones. However, since natural citrines are rare, artificial citrines made from burnt amethysts or recolored quartz are almost exclusively sold in stores."

So nearby I also found volcanic outcrops, which confirms what Wikipedia had to say. (magmatically formed)....

Now some photos from my gallery which i have posted 5 years ago, showing some examples of Citrine

I have got 3-4 hundred pics and it is very difficult to choose which ones are nicer. :roll: :roll:

Maybe some of the forum members have a Citrine on their jewelry. :?:
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Citrine in Cyprus

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting that nobody wears citrine jewelry.... it is and was very popular in Germany though. Untreated citrines are quite expensive nowadays.

Max
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Citrine seems to be a very powerful stone and said not to be worn by pregnant women. Don't know if true, but read about that.
Louise :)
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Not powerful enough. I don't have one to wear, I'm not pregnant and I'm not a woman – three good reasons, I think! :-) :-) :-)
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Very interesting, thank you. Will the site be destroyed now I wonder…?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One crystal source has definitely been dug up, as the motorway went straight through it. But the total area is large, and the motor relatively small in comparison. it will be interesting once it is all finished though, to see how the landscape has changed. I remember exploring the area a couple of years ago.

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/marathounta-wilderness
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Ancient History wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:22 am Very interesting, thank you. Will the site be destroyed now I wonder…?
No, it will not as the area where I found the Citrines they missed.
Thanks for your interest anyhow. A lot of trivial posts on here makes me wonder what people like to read these days.... :roll:

Max