Best value PAYG SIM

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
J B

Best value PAYG SIM

Post by J B »

Following on from my queries in the parking app thread

We've had a CYTA PAYG phone for more years than I can remember.
It's associated with many things in CY so don't really want to lose the number.
We are still in the UK, so, before my credit expires next week, I'm stuck with topping it up on line from here or losing my €50 credit.

So, two questions ...
Which is the best value PAYG sim for an occasional visitor (twice a year?) that I can swap to
Someone suggested Primetel???

Secondly, is there something useful that I can do with my credit?
Charity donation or can I transfer it to a friend or ???
J B
Tuppence

Re: Best value PAYG SIM

Post by Tuppence »

Information here under So Easy Services about transferring money: https://www.cyta.com.cy/mobile-additional-services/en
J B

Post by J B »

Tuppence wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:41 pm Information here under So Easy Services about transferring money: https://www.cyta.com.cy/mobile-additional-services/en
Just dragging this back up again to say that the #105# etc code didn't work so had to install the 'My Cyta' app on my UK phone and eventually found a way to dispose :lol: of €30 to a couple of friends.

Also, my other original question ... which is the 'best value' PAYG provider (that we can transfer our number to) that has the longest expiry date?
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Primetel for me. Top ups from €5 for PAYG and each top up valid for 365 days, unlike CYTA who have now cut, for example, a €10 top up to now only valid for 6 months and €5, I believe, to 3 months, so min €20 PA. Their pay monthly plans, I’ve had one for a few years, are pretty good value as well.

If you wish to transfer an existing number to a new provider, you will need the portability code from the current provider.

Also note that with CYTA if you transfer some of an existing credit amount to another user, the validity period expiry date stays the same as whatever it was from the original account. Confirmed that with them a few weeks ago before we swapped one of our phones with a large PAYG balance to see if we could give it to someone else.

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

I just transferred a fiver each to two friends but that's my monthly limit - don't suppose you know if it's a calendar month or not?

My googling suggests Primetel too - do I have to go to their shop to transfer over, or can I do it online? And how do I get a port code from CYTA?
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

JB, get the code form a CYTA shop or phone them or start a chat via their support page. Primetel can definitely start the process form a shop, try their support page for further info via various means- WhatsApp. messenger etc etc
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I've only ever had PAYG as has my other half - both in UK before moving to Cyprus and again in UK, after we moved back in 2016.

But when Covid arrrived and it was a necessary thing to be able to receive texts, emails and complete online forms for returning to UK - I got myself a SMARTY sim card.

It can be used as PAYG but I pay £6 per month which gives me 5gb of data, including unlimited calls and texts. It's also still available for use in EU destinations on the monthly package I opted for.

You can also opt to keep your current mobile number - a simple and easy process.

It's not a contract where you sign up for an agreed monthly amount - you can switch it up or down each time, or you can simply load credit onto the account (just like we did with Cyta) and use it as PAYG, but calls etc overseas are slightly more than charged in UK.

You can see all the plans available here: https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
J B

Post by J B »

J B wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:10 pm I just transferred a fiver each to two friends but that's my monthly limit - don't suppose you know if it's a calendar month or not?
Answering my own question - it's a calendar month, so have transferred more money this month! :)
J B
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:10 pm I've only ever had PAYG as has my other half - both in UK before moving to Cyprus and again in UK, after we moved back in 2016.

But when Covid arrrived and it was a necessary thing to be able to receive texts, emails and complete online forms for returning to UK - I got myself a SMARTY sim card.

It can be used as PAYG but I pay £6 per month which gives me 5gb of data, including unlimited calls and texts. It's also still available for use in EU destinations on the monthly package I opted for.

You can also opt to keep your current mobile number - a simple and easy process.

It's not a contract where you sign up for an agreed monthly amount - you can switch it up or down each time, or you can simply load credit onto the account (just like we did with Cyta) and use it as PAYG, but calls etc overseas are slightly more than charged in UK.

You can see all the plans available here: https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans
Yes, I use Smarty more than my cy provider,because strangely it's cheaper.Added bonus is when using data it thinks its in the uk so can access i player etc