Secure delivery of letter to the UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poster12

Secure delivery of letter to the UK

Post by Poster12 »

Does anyone know the best options and cost of posting a small letter by secure delivery to the UK ?

I have recently renewed my UK passport online and they are asking me to return the old passport to the UK by post and they also advise to use signed for delivery

So what are the options if I go to the post office here? Do they have Registered Post to the UK with signed for delivery? And can the letter be tracked and traced online like you can do with Royal Mail in the UK?

The most secure service is probably the best as it will probably be a big problem if the old passport should go missing in the post to the UK

So what service should I ask for in the post office? Is it just called registered delivery with signed for delivery?

And will the staff in the Post Office just take the letter over the counter to post it or is the letter to be posted in a post box?

And what would the cost of this be for sending the old passport?

And where is the nearest post office to the court in central Paphos?

And what if the old passport should go missing in the post to the UK? Is a whole new online passport renewal application required? I have already paid over £110 online and so I do not want to pay for another application

Thanks for any help
trevnhil

Re: Secure delivery of letter to the UK

Post by trevnhil »

The post office and DHL and ACS have courier posts to the UK ie signed for.
The cost you would have to check with them
I am amazed that your application for a passport renewal did not have the instructions to send your old passport in.
To answer your last question. Yes if the UK does not get your old passport then you will need to start a completely New Application..
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

We use registered post from the post office. Under €4 for a passport and arrived within a week. Very reliable in our experience.
souniman

Post by souniman »

Have used registered mail many times and never had a problem. You can purchase a secure package at the post office and they will fill in the form for you. Much cheaper than courier and just as good.
J
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

This post is mind-boggling. I have never had to send my old passport anywhere and I've got a pile of them on my desk. On reading your post, I have been asking myself whether it is not a scam. Is the destination address that they give you goldplated? If you decide to send it, make sure that the top right-hand corner is cut back by about 2 cm through the thickness of the document. This is the time-honoured way of annulling a passport.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'Supporting documents

To renew your passport you’ll need:
your old passport
any valid passports you have from a different country - send either a colour photocopy of every page (including blank ones) or the physical passport'.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Devil wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:07 pm This post is mind-boggling. I have never had to send my old passport anywhere and I've got a pile of them on my desk. On reading your post, I have been asking myself whether it is not a scam. Is the destination address that they give you goldplated? If you decide to send it, make sure that the top right-hand corner is cut back by about 2 cm through the thickness of the document. This is the time-honoured way of annulling a passport.
Devil,

Returning an old passport upon renewal to U.K. Passport office has been a standard part of their process for a long time. It’s returned to you separately, with the corner cut off. If in the U.K. it would be posted seconds class and take longer to get back to you than the new one, whereas if being sent here by air, they are often only a couple of days apart - in my case last month, or at the same time as my wife’s was upon renewal a couple yaers back.

Ian
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Poster12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:10 am Does anyone know the best options and cost of posting a small letter by secure delivery to the UK ?

I have recently renewed my UK passport online and they are asking me to return the old passport to the UK by post and they also advise to use signed for delivery

So what are the options if I go to the post office here? Do they have Registered Post to the UK with signed for delivery? And can the letter be tracked and traced online like you can do with Royal Mail in the UK?

The most secure service is probably the best as it will probably be a big problem if the old passport should go missing in the post to the UK

So what service should I ask for in the post office? Is it just called registered delivery with signed for delivery?

And will the staff in the Post Office just take the letter over the counter to post it or is the letter to be posted in a post box?

And what would the cost of this be for sending the old passport?

And where is the nearest post office to the court in central Paphos?

And what if the old passport should go missing in the post to the UK? Is a whole new online passport renewal application required? I have already paid over £110 online and so I do not want to pay for another application

Thanks for any help
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Thanks

So it sounds like sending the passport by Registered Post should be ok

And do you get a signature on delivery if you send it by Registered Post? The Passport Office in the UK say it is advisable to get a signature

And can the letter be Track and Traced online like when you send a letter overseas with Royal Mail?

Not sure about buying a secure packet at the Post Office. I was just going to put the passport in an addressed envelope and hand it to the Post Office staff for sending

Is there any advantage in buying a secure packet in the Post Office? Will the Post Office staff just write the address on the packet? It has to go to an address in Hemel Hempstead

And is it ok with the Passport Office for me to cut the corner off my old passport before I send it back to them? The expiry date is not until next March. Is there not some law against defacing a valid passport?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My advice would NOT to cut the corner off. That is not for you to do..

I do wonder if Devil's experiences relate to a UK passport
Trev..
MiaBeth

Re: Secure deliveryI of letter to the UK

Post by MiaBeth »

I have just renewed my passport, picked up the new one this morning .Sent the old one back using DHL, I’ve more faith in them than the Post office.Whole process took 10 days.The UK passport office acknowledged receipt of the application by return e-mail but they will only start printing your new passport when they receive your old one.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

MiaBeth wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:11 pm I have just renewed my passport, picked up the new one this morning .Sent the old one back using DHL, I’ve more faith in them than the Post office.Whole process took 10 days.The UK passport office acknowledged receipt of the application by return e-mail but they will only start printing your new passport when they receive your old one.
Thanks

I may try DHL. Can you tell me the process? Do you just take the sealed and addressed letter to one of their offices for posting?

I stay near the court in central Paphos so where is the nearest DHL office?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Poster12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:30 pm
MiaBeth wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:11 pm I have just renewed my passport, picked up the new one this morning .Sent the old one back using DHL, I’ve more faith in them than the Post office.Whole process took 10 days.The UK passport office acknowledged receipt of the application by return e-mail but they will only start printing your new passport when they receive your old one.
Thanks

I may try DHL. Can you tell me the process? Do you just take the sealed and addressed letter to one of their offices for posting?

I stay near the court in central Paphos so where is the nearest DHL office?
Not far from you but best to look on Google and then you will see the map
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Poster12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:58 pm Thanks

So it sounds like sending the passport by Registered Post should be ok

And do you get a signature on delivery if you send it by Registered Post? The Passport Office in the UK say it is advisable to get a signature

And can the letter be Track and Traced online like when you send a letter overseas with Royal Mail?

Not sure about buying a secure packet at the Post Office. I was just going to put the passport in an addressed envelope and hand it to the Post Office staff for sending

Is there any advantage in buying a secure packet in the Post Office? Will the Post Office staff just write the address on the packet? It has to go to an address in Hemel Hempstead

And is it ok with the Passport Office for me to cut the corner off my old passport before I send it back to them? The expiry date is not until next March. Is there not some law against defacing a valid passport?
You need to read the advice people are giving you that you’re asking for.

The signature is to sign for the receipt of the passport is provided by passport office staff. You’ll never see it, the status will just updated to signed for with a name on the tracker. They are recommending you to use a tracked postal service which is what you’re asking us about.

Yes it’s can be tracked online, that’s already been answered in an earlier post

Use an envelope, that’s what they’re for.

No, you need to write the address like you would with any other post, never needed to use a secure package for this or HRMC documents. A standard suitable sized envelop is fine.

No,don’t cut the passport, don’t do anything to it unless it explicitly stated in the application process, this isn’t, so don’t. It’s their job to do that when they return it to you

If you want to use a DHL office, fine, it will cost more, they can do a 24 hour delivery for about €30. As previously answered, the PO will charge you about €3.40. They will then give it to DHL anyway.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Very straightforward. Passport in normal envelope, take to post office, normal recorded delivery/registered post (costs a couple of euros). I’ve done this many times for family passports and it’s never failed to arrived. Your new passport will be returned by DHL automatically.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way