Climate friendly heating... CMail

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Climate friendly heating... CMail

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting article in CMail, written by the chairman of the House environment committee of the Government. Perhaps the new Government is waking up concerning photo-voltaic installations as well as new heating systems and stop trying to avoid them in Cyprus.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/04/05/movi ... y-heating/

Max
Anarita John

Re: Climate friendly heating... CMail

Post by Anarita John »

The government should be giving huge incentives for going green. Removal of VAT on solar installations. Allowing people to put the biggest array of panels on their roofs. Encouraging the phasing out of dirty fuels, including log burners.
The net metering system is brilliant, as you can use the grid like a battery. Just wish they had it in the UK.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Anarita John wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:59 pm The government should be giving huge incentives for going green. Removal of VAT on solar installations. Allowing people to put the biggest array of panels on their roofs. Encouraging the phasing out of dirty fuels, including log burners.
The net metering system is brilliant, as you can use the grid like a battery. Just wish they had it in the UK.
you are right.. the NMA is too good to be true... so get it whilst you can..

not sure why incentives are appropiate.. the whole point of them is to encourage take up and.. youd have to be mad not to want to install a PV system at the moment (with or without a subsidy)...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I wonder why Austria, a relatively small country was mentioned in the article and not Germany. Already next year there will be serious changes, concerning heating with fossil fuel.

"From January 1, 2024, only alternative heating systems with a 65 percent share of renewable energies may be installed. Anyone who violates this obligation in the future must expect a fine of up to 50,000 euros.
New oil and gas heating systems may no longer be installed in new or old buildings. Heat pumps and district heating supply should offer an alternative. The existing heaters may continue to run, but must be replaced with alternative heaters after a certain period of time."

So Europe is not slowly moving away from fossil fuels, the opposite is fact in Germany with the above mentioned measures. We are lucky in Cyprus with the warm climate in Winter and central heating is not such a big thing, as air conditioning units easily can heat houses. However, we are member of the EU and perhaps very soon Brussels will tell also Cyprus what to do with central heating run by gas/diesel in the near future.

source: Berliner Zeitung

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well hopefully my existing Gas central heating will continue to warm me in Winter for many years to come
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:35 am Well hopefully my existing Gas central heating will continue to warm me in Winter for many years to come
Since I had a PV system installed 6 years ago, I haven´t used mine anymore.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But what sort of heating does your PV system provide? I have 12 water-filled radiators and the gas boiler also heats the hot water whenever the central heating is on..
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Trev, we had oil, underfloor heating which we have not used for years, because of the cost. One very cold winter, we were here just for school holidays, and we went through a full 1200 litre tank.
We used to rely on our old aircon units which the builder put in and a couple of calor gas stoves. We had no room for a fireplace. We now just put on our new, LG aircon units, which, with our pv panels are extremely cheap to run. They are much more efficient than our old units and much quieter too.
We don't like hot bedrooms, but when it is very cold, we put our bedroom aircon unit on heat to take the chill off.
When we came back after a spell in the UK in March, it had been cold in Cyprus but our aircon units soon got the house to above 20c.
We have a couple of oil filled radiators as backup, but very rarely use them. Our calor gas heaters are now obsolete.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Hi John, what LG A/C model are you using? We want as quite as possible.
Thanks
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:39 pm But what sort of heating does your PV system provide?
I've been using the aircons for heating and in the bathroom, which doesn't have aircon, an electric heater.
daveg

Post by daveg »

We have a PV system, ground source heat pump for underfloor heating ,plus AC units ..
Now I know this winter was very mild, highest electric bill was €67..( Jan Feb)....