House Extension

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
harveywinning

House Extension

Post by harveywinning »

We are considering adding a single storey extension which would be used as a further bedroom on our property in Peyia. Does anyone know if we need to get approval for this and from whom and what the procedure is.

Thanks
Kili01

Re: House Extension

Post by Kili01 »

When we extended our villa by adding a sun room, we also needed architects plans, planning permission.. The plans were submitted to the Planning Dept in Paphos, who no doubt informed the village, who approved it. To increase the covered building area also depends on the size of your plot in relation to the total size of your enlarged house.

Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Hope our experience helps.When we substantially extended our property we where informed after it was done that the existing title deeds,which we had,where no longer valid and we had to apply for new ones.
It took us 8 years to get the new ones.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:25 am Hope our experience helps.When we substantially extended our property we where informed after it was done that the existing title deeds,which we had,where no longer valid and we had to apply for new ones.
It took us 8 years to get the new ones.
my neighbour has added a pool and is still trying to wade through bureaucracy to get the deeds altered. About 4 years and counting.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The planning situation is / was ridiculous in the length of time any application can take.
We even had to submit new plans for things we weren't building, like a garage and a chimney.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

For anyone thinking of building without permits, elderly friends of ours needed a downstairs bedroom, because the husband couldn't manage stairs anymore, their son came over from the UK and arranged for a builder to convert their garage next to the house into a bedroom and shower room, at a cost of ten grand, I tried to convince him not to do this because the room would cover drains etc etc.
Long story short , he said this is Cyprus no one bothers with permits, went ahead at a cost of over ten grand and converted the garage, unfortunately the husband died about six months later, a neighbour grassed them up to the local council, on top of her grief, she has had to pay for someone to rip it out and convert it back to a garage,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Comparetively the cost of getting plans done is not a lot. But again it seems to take years her to get planning permission. I remember when we got planning permission (on Paper) and I went to the Electricity board to apply for electricity being brought to our plot of land.
The lady I spoke to said "You have to come early" I said it was only 10 am... Bu then she said,"No, I mean it takes many years". And she was right it does. This was one time that I enlisted the help of a Cypriot who 'Moved things along a bit quicker'
Why do things take years here instead of months
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

One thing they love in Cyprus is paperwork, preferably in triplicate, with many departments involved.

For us the main thing was the holding back of title deeds, without which, you are at the mercy of officialdom, and the developer.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Probably the best thing to do is to speak to an architect who will then be able to tell you exactly what you can and can’t do, what you need to it and how long it will probably take given that the government is trying to streamline and speed up the permit process.

If you you want a recommendation let me know.

Ian
Fionaken

Post by Fionaken »

We added two rooms and an outside kitchen without 'permission'. Have just gone (retrospectively) through the process of updating Title Deeds to show additions. Re timescale, it's taken 18 months so far. That's for Planning Permision, Building Permission and Final Approval. Although of course already built! Awaiting reissue of TD's, who knows when? But I have a case number and all the approvals.

I am not usually one for paying someone to do something I can do myself. But in this instance, I think it is well worth it. They know the system, the people involved etc. I too can recommend an architect who I was very happy with.