Top Gun Maverick

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Top Gun Maverick

Post by Lincoln »

We watched the new Tom Cruise film last night on the TV. It is on the Magbox catch up. Great film on for two hours.
All things are possible
daveg

Re: Top Gun Maverick

Post by daveg »

Watched it in the Cinema, so much better than on the TV!
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

It's an old-fashioned film, but in a good way: it features brave people doing challenging stuff against the odds. In contrast to most modern action films (e.g. Marvel), there's an actual sense of threat and it isn't camp or fake-looking. The actors were actually in fighter jets, albeit in the back seat and pretending to 'drive'! The film-makers managed to keep all the jingoism to a minimum too.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I've never seen the original movie so have been told I must watch it before attempting to watch the new version.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

This appeared on my Magbox the other day but unfortunately it had Chinese/Japanese subtitles “hard-wired” into the film. So I’ll just have to wait for a clean copy to emerge on my system.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

MacManiac wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am This appeared on my Magbox the other day but unfortunately it had Chinese/Japanese subtitles “hard-wired” into the film. So I’ll just have to wait for a clean copy to emerge on my system.
The subtitles can be removed before watching the film. That's what we did.
All things are possible
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Lincoln wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:04 pm
MacManiac wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am This appeared on my Magbox the other day but unfortunately it had Chinese/Japanese subtitles “hard-wired” into the film. So I’ll just have to wait for a clean copy to emerge on my system.
Normally I click on the APP button on my remote control and select “No Subtitles”, but this does not remove them from this film. Hence I used the term “hard-wired”.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I find it quite amusing how so many of you will be critical of shop lifters and burglaries, but feel nothing about watching a film illegally. I'm not talking about TV boxes, where we can at least use the excuse that there is no other option. But Top Gun Maverick is still showing in the cinemas, and hasn't even been released on DVD yet. If you watch it on your TV, you are nicking it. Bear that in mind next time you admonish somebody for nicking a bottle of wine from the local kiosk.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

MacManiac wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:55 pm
Normally I click on the APP button on my remote control and select “No Subtitles”, but this does not remove them from this film. Hence I used the term “hard-wired”.
Yes that is the system we use. So your magbox is a different supplkier that ours
All things are possible
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Lincoln wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:42 pm
MacManiac wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Yes that is the system we use. So your magbox is a different supplkier that ours
I’ve emailed our supplier (the Swiss one who must not be mentioned) and no doubt in the fullness of time. I cannot stand cinemas given the often crass behaviour of other people. Home Sweet Home.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:38 pm I find it quite amusing how so many of you will be critical of shop lifters and burglaries, but feel nothing about watching a film illegally. I'm not talking about TV boxes, where we can at least use the excuse that there is no other option. But Top Gun Maverick is still showing in the cinemas, and hasn't even been released on DVD yet. If you watch it on your TV, you are nicking it. Bear that in mind next time you admonish somebody for nicking a bottle of wine from the local kiosk.
Copyright infringement isn't theft - the owner isn't deprived of his/her possession or the use of it. It's a civil matter in most countries rather than a criminal one. I'm not saying it's right, but it isn't theft.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are depriving the makers of the film of an income.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can use VPNs for a variety of reasons. They can also be abused, just like anything else. Oh don't get me wrong though, I'm not fussed with what anybody else does or doesn't watch on their TV box. I was just pointing out the moral dilemma.