Last weekends spring photos...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Last weekends spring photos...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Last weekend I had a little walk around my garden and took some pics. As Spring time is really late this year it will also be a very short time that one can enjoy wild flowers and fruit tree blossoms, before the great heat comes and most of it disappears within weeks....

It is a mix of everything on this stretch of field, mainly wild chamomile flowers but also many others...

different plum trees in bloom

apple tree and mespila tree

close up mespila

sage and quince tree

quince close up

flower "mountain"

funny scarecrow put up from my landlord

sea of flowers

and more

and finally

Max
bromerzz

Re: Last weekends spring photos...

Post by bromerzz »

Strange how the islands trees blossom and fruit at different times. Over here in the east and only 70m above sea level, both my neighbours Mosphilla trees have fruit ready for picking, in fact I might just go and eat a couple because they don't last long before they blacken off.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

bromerzz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:24 pm Strange how the islands trees blossom and fruit at different times. Over here in the east and only 70m above sea level, both my neighbours Mosphilla trees have fruit ready for picking, in fact I might just go and eat a couple because they don't last long before they blacken off.
What I photographed and called it mespila (which is the Cypriot name) is a wild tree (English Hawthorn) and the fruits are ripe much later in the year.
Locals producing a very sweet jam from them. By the way: locals grafting this tree for pear, quince and others. I tried it many years ago but was not successful with pear, so I gave up.

Here a photo how the ripe fruits look like in summer:

You meant obviously the fruit Loquat which is also here nearly ready to pick. In my place a bit later as I am at 440 m sea level and sometimes we get cold winds from Troodos (specially this year) which delays things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat

Max
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Yes you are absolutely correct our trees here are Loquat, however the local Cypriots still call them Mosfilla/Mosphila, the regional accents in the east are markedly different to the west.
I also see Hawthorn in a number of places but it is not quite the same as the English Hawthorn which covered much of the Downs in Surrey where I spent my younger days.
A local shop also sells what is labelled as Hawthorn Jam and spells it Mosphilla on the label for Greek speakers.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

bromerzz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:55 am Yes the regional accents in the east are markedly different to the west.
I was a couple of month in your area, many years ago and realized how many words from the Paphos district were not used in the Famagusta district.
Typical the Paphos "re" added at the end of different words for example. Also not to forget that many Turkish Cypriots living in Paphos in the past influenced the dialect as well, beside Cyprus was 300 years Turkish anyhow. By the way some Famagusta people were a bit out of sorts with the "Paphians", calling them all thieves... ;) :roll:

Max
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Osteospermums (I think) . . . . .to die for Max!!! Lovely. 😁

MB
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Maggie B wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 am Osteospermums (I think) . . . . .to die for Max!!! Lovely. 😁

MB
Correct name MB. They are also called African daisies. They grow like weed at my place and multiply without care or watering even on top of gravel.

On this photo one can see on top of the picture how they grow on gravel next to the pool... and they were growing from alone there, no watering, no care.

Max