Burglaries in Paphos.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Burglaries in Paphos.

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of mine ( yes i do have one or two ) has taken a penchant to retiring here soon.Home in blighty he has been unfortunate to suffering a couple of burglaries ( i think home invasions is the new word for it ).He asked me where abouts in the Paphos area are the most home invasions,or indeed where are the least.Are there any statistics?.......over to you.
memory man

Re: Burglaries in Paphos.

Post by memory man »

Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Although not a victim myself (yet) there have been break-ins as recently as 4/5 weeks ago in the Universal area.
Five properties on our complex have been entered or tried.
Another couple on a friend's complex nearby have also been done.
Sadly, I'm sure that there will have been more.
staffie

Post by staffie »

past few years as we all know, many migrants roaming the streets now, we drive to paphos to see friends in Universal area and on average we spot around 30 just driving there, also the cyprus mail commented about too many sub African inmates which is causing over crowded jails, just a thought, not being racist.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

staffie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:20 am past few years as we all know, many migrants roaming the streets now, we drive to paphos to see friends in Universal area and on average we spot around 30 just driving there, also the cyprus mail commented about too many sub African inmates which is causing over crowded jails, just a thought, not being racist.
Saying 'not racist' doesn't automatically make your post not racist. Why did you bring up migrants? Do you have proof that they are behind a significant number of burglaries? Please do provide it.
staffie

Post by staffie »

just what I expected.
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:20 am past few years as we all know, many migrants roaming the streets now, we drive to paphos to see friends in Universal area and on average we spot around 30 just driving there, also the cyprus mail commented about too many sub African inmates which is causing over crowded jails, just a thought, not being racist.
What a pathetic post, the reason most roam the streets is because they are unable to work, they dont have much else to occupy them selves with, like a previous poster said, please provide proof that sub Africans are responsible for the burglaries, yet you only mention the fact that Black people are roaming the streets, and the cherry on the cake,
not being racist...... :roll:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

It used to more likely be organised gangs than individuals but with the advent of security systems and CCTV that trend appears to have changed.

As property owners (and this includes vehicles) people must take more responsibility to look after their possessions and also be aware of what is happening in their neighbourhood.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mmmmmm,it appears no one has a definite answere to my original post on which area of Paphos is the safest or unsafest to live as far as burglaries are concerned.Except the Universal area has suffered a few.So i,ll have to convey to my anxious friend he will have to take...well...pot luck.
staffie

Post by staffie »

[quote=WHL post_id

What a pathetic post, the reason most roam the streets is because they are unable to work, they dont have much else to occupy them selves with, like a previous poster said, please provide proof that sub Africans are responsible for the burglaries, yet you only mention the fact that Black people are roaming the streets, and the cherry on the cake,
[/quote]

just what I expected.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:06 am Mmmmmm,it appears no one has a definite answere to my original post on which area of Paphos is the safest or unsafest to live as far as burglaries are concerned.Except the Universal area has suffered a few.So i,ll have to convey to my anxious friend he will have to take...well...pot luck.
If you are on Facebook there are a few groups that may be able to give more specific information:
Cyprus Crime Watch
Fighting Crime Paphos District
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:35 pm I remember them saying to me "you cannot judge one nationality or another as being more likely to be burglars; the spread is right across the board". They were adamant on that point.

I would have thought most refugees would be scared witless to commit a crime, as it would scupper their chances of achieving refugeee status and being able to move on and improve their lives.
My guess is it has nothing to do with nationality or race, but with how you were brought up and your socioeconomic situation. The average millionaire will be less likely to burgle your place than the average homeless person for whom a few hundred €€ will make a real difference. Just as the average homeless person will be less inclined to commit tax fraud than the average millionaire, for similarly obvious reasons.
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:14 am [quote=WHL post_id

just what I expected.
[/quote]

Have you seen any more Sub Africans, roaming the streets lately?
Please make sure you warn us forum members, we definitely need more vigilant people like you
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

My guess is it has nothing to do with nationality or race, but with how you were brought up and your socioeconomic situation. The average millionaire will be less likely to burgle your place than the average homeless person for whom a few hundred €€ will make a real difference. Just as the average homeless person will be less inclined to commit tax fraud than the average millionaire, for similarly obvious reasons.
Great post Jeba!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

When we first came over the main burglary hot spot was Pegia. It was thought that this was because a lot of working age Brits had come over and found it hard to make ends meet, then it was the eastern Europeans and now its the Africans that are being blamed by some.
Recently on FB I have seen pictures of burglars taken by CCTV of burglaries or attempted ones that have taken place in various homes and businesses and none of the perpetrators looked African.
They do want to work I have see them walking into petrol stations etc asking for work also any labouring jobs with builders and farmers etc.
I am not saying that there is no criminal element within them but there is in all nationalities.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:10 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:35 pm I remember them saying to me "you cannot judge one nationality or another as being more likely to be burglars; the spread is right across the board". They were adamant on that point.

I would have thought most refugees would be scared witless to commit a crime, as it would scupper their chances of achieving refugeee status and being able to move on and improve their lives.

Not many homeless people in Cyprus, so with respect your post isn't relevant to Cyprus, the nearest comparison is the UK, where many City's have a lot of homeless people, but in the whole it isn't the homeless doing the burglaries ,
Burglary's are mostly done by career criminals, shoplifting is mainly done by drug addicts' needing money for the daily fix, and groups of organized shoplifting gangs some local and some from Eastern Europe.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

In my experience (30yrs with Strathclyde Police and 12 yrs in the Scottish Court Service) run of the mill housebreakings were down to a, usually well known, core group. Before retiring from the police, I'd dealt with father's then their sons and during my time in the courts I saw the grandsons begining to appear.
When I say "run of the mill" housebreakings, I mean thefts from ordinary people's houses. High end properties were usually targeted by organised criminals, not just the local scummies looking to make a quick pound or two.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:44 am
They do want to work I have see them walking into petrol stations etc asking for work also any labouring jobs with builders and farmers etc.
I am not saying that there is no criminal element within them but there is in all nationalities.
Yes, I find the people from Africa are very polite and are keen to find employment and so am happy to help them find suitable work.
If anything from various newspaper reports I have read the only crime some commit is trying to leave Cyprus with forged travel documents and they are apprehended at the airport. EG https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/03/16/woma ... -passport/
staffie

Post by staffie »

please provide proof that sub Africans are responsible for the burglaries.

Please provide proof (I Said) sub Africans were responsible for burglarys, as cyprus mail says overcrowded jails with foreigners waiting to be returned.
today I helped an African chap who had no tools in his motor, changed his punctured Tyre, he even offered a few euros for help, I said no not wanted.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Just spoken to one of my neighbours.
He tells me that one of the people caught on a newly installed security system on our complex has been arrested, for recent break-ins.
A Cypriot guy apparently.