Job vacancies - conditions

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
chatsworth

Job vacancies - conditions

Post by chatsworth »

I am noticing more and more that job adverts here are stating applicants need to have an EU passport.
I assume that rules out Brits. which probably doesn't trouble a lot of retired members on this forum but there are many British younger people with children growing up here who will need employment and could find difficulty in securing a job.
WHL

Re: Job vacancies - conditions

Post by WHL »

chatsworth wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 am I am noticing more and more that job adverts here are stating applicants need to have an EU passport.
I assume that rules out Brits. which probably doesn't trouble a lot of retired members on this forum but there are many British younger people with children growing up here who will need employment and could find difficulty in securing a job.
The Joys of Brexit, What I understand is, Non EU citizens can apply for work visas, but their prospective employer has to satisfy immigration, that there are no Cypriot or EU citizens who can fill that position first, which would only leave very specialized job vacancies...... it is what it is, if you vote to leave the Club, then dont complain that you cant have the benefits that the club gives.

For expat children growing up here, they could always take up Cypriot citizenship, which will allow them the same rights as everyone else.
ast

Post by ast »

Perhaps someone who works here and is on the forum could tell us what changes there has been if any. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of ours son,desperate for work got one in a bar for three nights.2.30 euros a hour 5pm to 2 am.He was excited when one customer gave him 20 euros tip,but had to give it to the owner to share among all the staff :?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm A friend of ours son,desperate for work got one in a bar for three nights.2.30 euros a hour 5pm to 2 am.He was excited when one customer gave him 20 euros tip,but had to give it to the owner to share among all the staff :?
Its got to be a cash in hand job, as there is a minimum wage for legal employment.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 pm
Chaddy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm A friend of ours son,desperate for work got one in a bar for three nights.2.30 euros a hour 5pm to 2 am.He was excited when one customer gave him 20 euros tip,but had to give it to the owner to share among all the staff :?
Its got to be a cash in hand job, as there is a minimum wage for legal employment.
Thats a new one on me WHL.do you know what it is.
josef k

Post by josef k »

There is no standard minimum wage. It is set differently for a number of classes of work. Unfortunately bar work isn't one of them, and there is no minimum wage.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 pm
Thats a new one on me WHL.do you know what it is.
http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/dlr/dlr.nsf ... 9300246936
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/08/mini ... el-sector/

So would you like to tell us if your friends son, employer, has registered him as an employee with the social office, and its all kosher and above board?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That doesn't mention bar staff.

New Minimum Wage Order Valid from 1st of April 2012

The Minimum Wage Order of 2012 applies from the 1st of April, and is applicable for certain occupations (shop assistants, clerks, child-care workers (assistant baby and child minders), personal care workers (nursing assistants). Furthermore, the Order provides for a minimum hourly rate of pay for security guards, and cleaners of business/corporate premises.

The minimum monthly wage upon recruitment was revised to €870, while the minimum monthly wage for employees, who have completed a six month period of employment at the same employer, was revised to €924.

The minimum wage for security guards was revised to an hourly rate of €4,90 and upon completion of a six month period of employment at the same employer is increased to €5,20.
The hourly rate of pay for newly recruited cleaners is €4,55 and upon completing six months of employment at the same employer is increased to €4,84.

It should be noted that the normal working hours of shop assistants according to the relevant Law, must not exceed 38 hours weekly and 8 hours daily, whilst for clerks the working hours should not exceed 44 hours in total per week (including any overtime) or 8 hours daily (normal working hours are usually 38 to 40 hours based on normal practice and agreement with each employer).

24/05/2012
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm That doesn't mention bar staff.

New Minimum Wage Order Valid from 1st of April 2012

The Minimum Wage Order of 2012 applies from the 1st of April, and is applicable for certain occupations (shop assistants, clerks, child-care workers (assistant baby and child minders), personal care workers (nursing assistants). Furthermore, the Order provides for a minimum hourly rate of pay for security guards, and cleaners of business/corporate premises.

The minimum monthly wage upon recruitment was revised to €870, while the minimum monthly wage for employees, who have completed a six month period of employment at the same employer, was revised to €924.

The minimum wage for security guards was revised to an hourly rate of €4,90 and upon completion of a six month period of employment at the same employer is increased to €5,20.
The hourly rate of pay for newly recruited cleaners is €4,55 and upon completing six months of employment at the same employer is increased to €4,84.

It should be noted that the normal working hours of shop assistants according to the relevant Law, must not exceed 38 hours weekly and 8 hours daily, whilst for clerks the working hours should not exceed 44 hours in total per week (including any overtime) or 8 hours daily (normal working hours are usually 38 to 40 hours based on normal practice and agreement with each employer).

24/05/2012
It doesn't mention bar staff, but they usually come under hospitality, the reason I asked if his employer had registered him at the social office, was because there is a minimum wage you can register someone so as to pay social contributions, if its cash in hand then that's a different issue .
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I don’t think it will be too long before a minimum wage is established in Cyprus. As the laws states as posted above, it currently only affects a few categories of employees.

On the first point, anyone living here with an MEU or MUK document is protected by the withdrawal agreement and has full entitlement to work. It is those that want to live and find work here since 31st December 2020 that have now lost their right to do so. To live here requires an application as a third country national for an extension to a visitors visa (pink slip) which carries no right to work. In order to work an employer must secure a work permit on your behalf and would need to demonstrate that no EU citizen is available to fill the position.

A reasonably easy process for retirees with a lump sum in the bank and a regular income but I feel so sorry for young people who may have wanted to start a new life elsewhere in Europe.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
jeba

Post by jeba »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:43 pm.

an employer must secure a work permit on your behalf and would need to demonstrate that no EU citizen is available to fill the position.
How to provide such proof?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:11 pm
Lofos-Jan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:43 pm.

an employer must secure a work permit on your behalf and would need to demonstrate that no EU citizen is available to fill the position.
How to provide such proof?
I would think they would need to show that they advertised the position for an amount of time and in various different places, and they could not find an adequantly experienced person from the EU to fill that position. I would think it would be a highly skilled position that local people/EU citizens could not fill,