Chaos with SafePass on first day of implementation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Chaos with SafePass on first day of implementation

Post by trevnhil »

I think that would just be 'A step too far'.
Trev..
lotus

Post by lotus »

No I disagree Trev,like many countries Cyprus has been pussy footing around and where has it got them,? Cases are rising !,if people can't or won't conform to the rules then tough!,you can't have one rule for one and another for other people,it's simple no pass shown no entry to the shop or where ever,I know the police are stretched but like I have said and this applies to UK bring in the army to help with checks,bugger what people think we have to get a grip now or this virus will be here for years
jeba

Post by jeba »

You shouldn´t overestimate the usefulness of safepasses. As the example of the Dutch town of Enschede is showing they are easy to fake or exchange among people. There is even a black merket for them. That resulted in a wave of infections after a big event even though safepasses were required.
Last edited by jeba on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:44 am No I disagree Trev,like many countries Cyprus has been pussy footing around and where has it got them,? Cases are rising !,if people can't or won't conform to the rules then tough!,you can't have one rule for one and another for other people,it's simple no pass shown no entry to the shop or where ever,I know the police are stretched but like I have said and this applies to UK bring in the army to help with checks,bugger what people think we have to get a grip now or this virus will be here for years
I understand what you are saying, but you cannot deprive people from buying food, do you really want to go the China route of going into peoples homes and at gunpoint marching them to get vaccinated?, its a balance the goverment needs to take, and I think hitting people in the pocket is the best way to concentrate minds, ie charging people for tests, larger fines etc will bring results.
lotus

Post by lotus »

No I was only suggesting using the army to help bolster the police presence,perish the thought of people being marched at gunpoint to get vaccinated,mind you,!😉 but let's be honest somethings got to be done!!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

jeba wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:53 am You should overestimate the usefulness of safepasses. As the example of the Dutch town of Enschede is showing they are easy to fake or exchange among people. There is even a black merket for them. That resulted in a wave of infections after a big event even though safepasses were required.
I believe this is the reason why the SafePass is accepted in Cyprus but not the EUDCC format which is intended for travel use only.

...'as of the 9th July, in places where SafePass is required, individuals aged 12 and above must hold one of the following:
1. Certificate of vaccination with at least one dose of the vaccine. A period of three weeks must have elapsed from the day of the administration.
2. Proof that they have been infected with COVID-19 during the last six months.
3. Certificate of a PCR negative test or a negative rapid antigen test result, valid for 72 hours'.

https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/uplo ... tingEN.pdf
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/07/09/coro ... Flp2Ea7uFQ
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Lots of confusion with people thinking the EUDCC download could be used as proof of vaccination , a number of people turned away when presenting the digital certificate and not the original safe pass card.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just been to jumbo with the wife, checking passes, wished they wouldn't let me in, but they did :(
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just returned from a nice Sunday lunch, a Meze. We all showed our safe passes aka Vaccination card on entry. No problemBut I had photographed my Vaccination card previously so I have this also. I photographed mine previously with my iPad camera, and then printed it out using my wireless printer.. The result looks quite good.

I hope to preserve my vaccination card in good condition for when ever I really need it.
I don't want to keep it inside my handbag as it will probably become very tatty.

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

We went to the coffee shop in Slevenitis (used to be Carrefore). We were asked to show our passes before we entered. The lady was apologetic that this had to be done but very polite. No problem at all.....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mouse wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:11 pm I don't think being prevented from buying food can be regarded as an inconvenience.
How are you prevented from buying food?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cactus

Post by cactus »

Supermarkets are still carrying out delivery services, I believe, so nobody will be starved into doing something they don't want to do. Of course that may be less convenient for them, but also more convenient than the protracted lockdowns to which the rest of us have been subjected.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There will be many 'young people' who will have to have a rapid antigen test every 72hrs in order to be allowed to work. So although inconvenient, they can use their latest one as their safepass. As long as they have a neg result.
It seems to be the only way to get more people to get vaccinated. Judging by the number of new cases, somewhere between 800 - 950+ Per 24hrs, something radical needs to be done. The hospitals have increasing numbers of patients,with the virus. I have seen a reference of the ages involved and its mainly people under 30'.
Plus this is the summer tourist season and the hotels need more tourists to come. Apparently, a number of hotel staff are coming forward now for their jabs.

Dee
memory man

Post by memory man »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:13 pm . Apparently, a number of hotel staff are coming forward now for their jabs.

Dee

That's because - " no jab = no job "
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Driving past Emba school yesterday afternoon there was a long queue consisting of people of all ages waiting for the test.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

832 new cases today, 240 in Limassol what can they do to bring the numbers down that inhabitants would pay any attention to, nearly 200 in Nicosia
wilky

Post by wilky »

The first time I have seen a QUE waiting to get into Jumbo's inside the mall security to get into the mall are checking the safepass or vaccine certs not taking your temp. like they used too.Think ques are going to get longer as I read to day in the Cyprus Mail ID to be checked as well as original certs not copies.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Mine are in a plastic bag so I can sanitise it after anyone else has touched it.
Similar to my practice of cleaning the ATM screen and keyboard prior to use (amazing how dirty they are).
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

We were asked several times over weekend if we had them but no one actually asked to see it.

One place that didn’t asked was a restaurant which is inside the sovereign base territory which raised a question, do they have to comply with Cyprus Or UK law?
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 am We were asked several times over weekend if we had them but no one actually asked to see it.

One place that didn’t asked was a restaurant which is inside the sovereign base territory which raised a question, do they have to comply with Cyprus Or UK law?
They have to mirror the Republic's laws, and with the dealings I have had with the SBA police they are more up to following the rules.