Vehicle checks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Vehicle checks

Post by WHL »

WHL

Re: Vehicle checks

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am Had a little chuckle at this. We were in a supermarket car park yesterday and two open cab trucks were parked opposite. They both had no lights at all in the rear. They were all smashed...... most did not even have a bulb. I suspect after this crack down nothing will change. :roll:
Instead of being negative, why not be pleased that the police are trying to address the issue?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The Police could address, and indeed should address this situation every day... The police who are on the roads must see the same sort of vehicles that I see when I am out.. There are many out there that would never pass an MOT test including the ones with wide tyres outside the bodywork.. and as mentioned those with defective lights or indeed non at all.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 am The Police could address, and indeed should address this situation every day... The police who are on the roads must see the same sort of vehicles that I see when I am out.. There are many out there that would never pass an MOT test including the ones with wide tyres outside the bodywork.. and as mentioned those with defective lights or indeed non at all.
I would imagine its all down to man power,
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL for your information many of the Police Officers are female so your manpower word is inappropriate and you should know better.

However whilst at the Police station earlier this year the issue of staffing came up and at my local Police station the staffing levels have been reduced by 50% and the work load increased by 50%.

As many know I am a retired Police officer and fully agree with vehicle offences enforcement however reporting traffic offences is very time consuming, even longer if you have to seize the offending vehicle (takes usually an hour for a pick up to arrive), and during that time the local officer is not available for emergencies and the normal work load of thefts etc. to deal with.
Also yesterday on the highway at Limassol there were at least 5 accidents in the space of 15 minutes so all officers were dealing with that whilst everything else was put on the back burner. Those officers were committed with those accident(s) for at least 3 hours at the scene never mind the time after doing paperwork!
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:31 am WHL for your information many of the Police Officers are female so your manpower word is inappropriate and you should know better.

However whilst at the Police station earlier this year the issue of staffing came up and at my local Police station the staffing levels have been reduced by 50% and the work load increased by 50%.

As many know I am a retired Police officer and fully agree with vehicle offences enforcement however reporting traffic offences is very time consuming, even longer if you have to seize the offending vehicle (takes usually an hour for a pick up to arrive), and during that time the local officer is not available for emergencies and the normal work load of thefts etc. to deal with.
Also yesterday on the highway at Limassol there were at least 5 accidents in the space of 15 minutes so all officers were dealing with that whilst everything else was put on the back burner. Those officers were committed with those accident(s) for at least 3 hours at the scene never mind the time after doing paperwork!
O dear, have you appointed yourself, the forums PC copper? :roll:

I was trying to give members a heads up, thats all,
WHL

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:45 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:10 am
Termites Dream wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am Had a little chuckle at this. We were in a supermarket car park yesterday and two open cab trucks were parked opposite. They both had no lights at all in the rear. They were all smashed...... most did not even have a bulb. I suspect after this crack down nothing will change. :roll:
Instead of being negative, why not be pleased that the police are trying to address the issue?
I don't see it as negative but factual. Campaigns are fine but they have these every month or so. You need to enforce all the laws whenever they can and they don't. We had a crackdown on phones not long ago and yet I was sat at the traffic lights with a mobile police officer watching another motorist on the phone. He just drove off. It may be a manpower issue(and I am happy with the term) as in the UK, but its not effective either way but I accept your point, they are trying.
Unfortunately, to stop it, you would need a copper sat at every junction of every street in Cyprus, figure's show these crackdowns do work, sometimes going into the thousands of fines issued, stiffer fines might help to focus people using phones, but I doubt it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I had the two back brake lights stolen off my Pajero when it was parked up in Chlorakas outside my daughters house. She didnt realise until she brought it back to our house. It took me a month and £100 to get them replaced as there were none available on the island and I had to get them from Poland of all places.
Sometimes it's not that straightforward about replacing a damaged light.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

mouse wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:28 pm The number of vehicles with a tow bar which don't have a lighting socket, trailers without lights and don't suppose there are more than 1 or 2 trailer boards on the whole island.
I have always regarded the driver as responsible for the vehicle being in a roadworthy manner or having it checked by a mechanic. It would be good if the police could be a little more vigilent regards obvious faults and damage, it would be nice if headlamp alignment could be part of the mot.
As far as I know Mr Mouse. Headlight alignment IS part of the MOT...

Though I can see why you may think otherwise.
Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I was surprised to be informed scooters motorbikes do not need to have an MoT !!!