International Driving Licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CYWALL

International Driving Licence

Post by CYWALL »

Good afternoon all,
just a query, I understand that everyone will have to exchange their UK driving licence (or any other licence) to a Cypriot one soon if you live here permanently because of Brexit rules.
My wife doesn't particularly want to exchange her UK licence to a Cypriot one just for a few months as we will be returning to the UK early next year.
My question is Can she get an international driving licence here in Cyprus and drive on that until we leave, or does she just give up driving until we leave.
Thanks.
Diocletian

Re: International Driving Licence

Post by Diocletian »

It's not because of Brexit. It has always been the case, a bit like 90/180 days.

Do what a friend of mine did. Write to the DVLA claiming you have lost the licence. They send a new one and you surrender the old one in Cyprus in exchange for a Cypriot one. Not ethical but would work.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 pm It's not because of Brexit. It has always been the case, a bit like 90/180 days.

Do what a friend of mine did. Write to the DVLA claiming you have lost the licence. They send a new one and you surrender the old one in Cyprus in exchange for a Cypriot one. Not ethical but would work.
That sounds like fraud to me, not very good giving advice like that on a public forum, especially as both country's share data, and it wouldn't surprise me if something was to flag up over here,
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:00 pm
Diocletian wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 pm It's not because of Brexit. It has always been the case, a bit like 90/180 days.

That sounds like fraud to me, not very good giving advice like that on a public forum, especially as both country's share data, and it wouldn't surprise me if something was to flag up over here,
I agree - absolutely disgraceful!

PS - we did this about 15 years ago ... no repercussions ;)
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

As far as im aware, when you hand over your UK license, the Cypriot authority's let the UK know, the UK then cancel your UK one, so it seems a bit pointless.
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:21 pm As far as im aware, when you hand over your UK license, the Cypriot authority's let the UK know, the UK then cancel your UK one, so it seems a bit pointless.
Well, in our experience, what you are "aware of" didn't happen ....
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I see that no one has answered the O.P's question.
Yes, your wife should apply for an International Driving License. Have you tried to see if you can do it on line? Cyprus has already said that motorists need to have either a Cypriot Driving license or an International one in June.
If you need help, the Citizens Advice Centre on Butcher Boy Rd, should be able to help you.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:12 am
WHL wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:21 pm As far as im aware, when you hand over your UK license, the Cypriot authority's let the UK know, the UK then cancel your UK one, so it seems a bit pointless.
Well, in our experience, what you are "aware of" didn't happen ....
You got lucky, no more no less,,,, I was told by a police officer here, that when you are issued with a Cypriot passport the UK licensing authority are notified and the UK one is cancelled. but you will always get the smart arses, who think they are more clever then the authorities, not to mention Idiots who go on a public forum, suggesting how people can cheat the system, by using fraudulent means.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

One must wonder how much time the Cyprus authorities need to inform the DVLA of such a change, when in the past ten years the gentleman concerned has had no issue with using his replacement UK licence on trips to the UK and having it DVLA checked when doing car rentals. I would suspect that the RoC talk the talk but do not bother to do the walk and why would you, its far too hot.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, such deception is fine, provided that such drivers are not involved in any accidents or incidents when driving. Though one can speculate over how much interaction the authorities here will have with the DVLA as the Uk is no longer an EU country....

Dee
J B

Post by J B »

I suspect that when we "smart arses" / "idiots" committed this "deception" ... Cyprus wasn't in the EU and the UK was
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:21 am I suspect that when we "smart arses" / "idiots" committed this "deception" ... Cyprus wasn't in the EU and the UK was
I suggest you go and read my post again, and reply on what I actually said.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

To obtain a UK International Driving Licence you have to go to the Head Post Office in your area. When I lived in Ormskirk I had to travel up to Lancaster. The last time I needed one I had to use my son's address and go to the Head Post Office in Liverpool.
When I changed my licence to a Cypriot one I had to go to the MOT for an International Licence which cost me €40 as compared with £5 for a Brithish one.
As far as I'm aware they can't be ordered online, you have to appear in person.
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 am
J B wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:21 am I suspect that when we "smart arses" / "idiots" committed this "deception" ... Cyprus wasn't in the EU and the UK was
I suggest you go and read my post again, and reply on what I actually said.
Sorry, you've lost me now.

Anyway, as already said this ain't helping the OP so maybe we ought to just leave it there and move on.
:)
J B