Redcurrant Jelly and Mint Jelly

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Minerva

Redcurrant Jelly and Mint Jelly

Post by Minerva »

I used to get the above in Phillipos or Papantonios but they don't seem to stock it now - Redcurrant Jelly was in the Baking Section. I have tried Cycleband, Alphamega but no joy!! Can anyone help? x
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
Kili01

Re: Redcurrant Jelly and Mint Jelly

Post by Kili01 »

Unfortunately, since Brexit, the whole business of importing anything from the UK has become much more complicated. Thus supermarkets orders for goods from the UK are taking far longer to materialise. Thus they are running out of the British foods that we are used to having, I spoke to the manager at Papa's who explained this to me. So things like Marmite, Bovril and no doubt many other British foodstuffs we all want may be hard to get until the new orders finally arrive in store again.

I remember heated debate on this forum about the merits of voting for or against Brexit.
I wonder if those 'Brexiteers' are still amongst us, or if they retreated back to the UK.

Dee
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

I haven’t been able to get red currant jelly for ages, I miss it as I put it in my lamb hotpot
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Instead of redcurrant jelly, try mosfilo jelly. The fruit grows abundantly in this region and is a large cross between a redcurrant and a Hip. You can get the jelly in any supermarket. It would probably go quite well with the lamb.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
Yes true about having to think about declaring certain goods on our return to Cyprus from the UK. But I hope that won't also include any UK foods we may have purchased while in the UK, such as Bovril, Marmite, Redcurrant jelly and so on!!
But we may also be able to buy some things in the UK duty free? As yet haven't seen any discussion on here.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Not being able to get Marmite, Finally one good thing about Brexit. :D :lol:
ast

Post by ast »

Apparently there is a Marmite and Bovril shortage period due to yeast shortages.its been in the media in the UK. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:15 am Apparently there is a Marmite and Bovril shortage period due to yeast shortages.its been in the media in the UK. 8-)
There is a God :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

AST, thanks for your comment. I didn't know about the shortage of yeast!!

WHL, so why do you need to comment? Judging by the shortages here , I'm not the only one who is missing these products ?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:40 am AST, thanks for your comment. I didn't know about the shortage of yeast!!

WHL, so why do you need to comment? Judging by the shortages here , I'm not the only one who is missing these products ?

Dee
I didn't know we needed your permission to post on threads :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No you don't. However, you do like telling others what to post on occasion.

And slag off marmite at your peril!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:53 am No you don't. However, you do like telling others what to post on occasion.

And slag off marmite at your peril!
Hands up, you got me there :(
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

M&S here are selling Marmite flavoured hot cross buns. :!:
Ams

Post by Ams »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:26 am
Kili01 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 pmI remember heated debate on this forum about the merits of voting for or against Brexit. I wonder if those 'Brexiteers' are still amongst us, or if they retreated back to the UK. Dee

Yes, they're notably less vocal in support of their perceived 'victory' aren't they? All the warnings they decried as Project Fear are now coming to fruition. It's not just about UK foods which are now much harder to find, but the additional costs we now have to pay in VAT and Customs clearance on goods imported from the UK.

Because of Covid, most of us have not been back to the UK, but when we do in future consideration will have to be given whether to pass through the Goods to Declare channel on our return to Cyprus, something we never had to think about before.
You're reminding me of travel between Malta and the UK when I was younger / before Malta joined the EU. We'd always buy quite a few clothes when visiting the UK (cheaper/much more choice) and had to remember to cut all the tags off before packing them and making them look a bit crumpled/worn in case the customs people in Malta decided to open it (which they did sometimes). And having to not look worried when passing through "nothing to declare". And when I was at Uni in England I used to carry my casette player up and down with me each term (large enough to have to carry as a separate hand luggage item, which seems bizarre nowadays!), and before leaving Malta I had to visit the customs office at the airport to get a certificate proving I'd taken it out of Malta, so they wouldn't charge me duty when I returned. (The irony being that it had been bought in England in the 1st place but brought over by a tourist friend and they'd hadn't charged her duty as presumed she'd be taking it out again ;) :lol: ).

Happy days.... not. So are we going back there, I wonder?
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Kili01 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 pm Unfortunately, since Brexit, the whole business of importing anything from the UK has become much more complicated. Thus supermarkets orders for goods from the UK are taking far longer to materialise. Thus they are running out of the British foods that we are used to having, I spoke to the manager at Papa's who explained this to me. So things like Marmite, Bovril and no doubt many other British foodstuffs we all want may be hard to get until the new orders finally arrive in store again.

I remember heated debate on this forum about the merits of voting for or against Brexit.
I wonder if those 'Brexiteers' are still amongst us, or if they retreated back to the UK.

Dee
Still here and having a blast
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Kili01 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 pm I remember heated debate on this forum about the merits of voting for or against Brexit.

Dee
I would imagine many who voted for Brexit are still here. I wonder, are you going to check on leave voters country of residence each time you can't find something in the shops? May I suggest finding another hobby instead.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Thank you Devil for your tip about Mosfila Jam. I bought a jar yesterday and, yes, it is very tasty and similar. Thank you. x
Ruth x

Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Minerva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:28 am Thank you Devil for your tip about Mosfila Jam. I bought a jar yesterday and, yes, it is very tasty and similar. Thank you. x
Please can you tell me where you got it, and whereabouts it was in the store
Thank you
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

I got it in Papantonios within the jam section. It was called Mosfillo Jam and made by Blossom. Enjoy. xx
Ruth x

tina

Post by tina »

Hi Minerva,
Seen mint jelly in cycleband (mesogis road) today.
Always remember my grandma making her own mint jelly when i was younger.