€4m scheme to promote bicycle as means of transport

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

€4m scheme to promote bicycle as means of transport

Post by Paphos Life »

Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos on Tuesday unveiled a €4m, 17-point plan of action aiming to encourage cycling as an alternative form of transport.He told a press conference that the programme was in line with EU initiatives to combat carbon emissions....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: €4m scheme to promote bicycle as means of transport

Post by WHL »

East side we have many bicycle lanes, and as roads are being improved more are being layed, great news in my book, we have relations in Amsterdam, and seeing 99% of the locals wizzing around on their bikes, kiddies to OAPs put us to shame on how fit they are.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Cycle lanes in operation between Polis and Latchi, large section recently completed.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 pm. I used to cycle around SV but the hills used to get me, so we gave our bikes to daughter and son-in-law.
Just get yourself an ebike. They´re really fun to ride and hills will lose their scare factor.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

mouse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:06 am I will never take on ! Well only if you can talk, text and tweet whilst riding. I don't see a humble bicycle will succeed over a high powered starship
All of this happens. We see it on a daily basis in UK.
But cycling in Cyprus, hmmmm it feels like lambs to the slaughter.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Think the papers have read Photo Lady's post just in time

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/06/our- ... g-cycling/
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It's bad enough running on the roads around Paphos but cycling, no thanks! I do have many friends who cycle and they seem to be ok but I've had a few scares whilst out running. Most drivers are very considerate but you get the occasional one who decides they either want to scare you or just don't care about giving you a bit of room.
WHL

Post by WHL »

East side we have many cycle lanes, and you never see a new road built without a cycle lane next to the pavement, maybe its because its flatter this side of the island?
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

When they built the Geriskipou relief road and the TOTK road improvement they put cycle lanes in and often see them being used. It isnt really practical to covert the old road as most aren’t wide enough.

Also, it is very difficult to hold a phone, coffee and cigarette and ride a bike unless they adapt the handlebars to be able to steer with your knees.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This seems to be a well intended, but probably without thinking scheme, unthinking about either road safety or indeed the practicality of promoting citizens travel to work by bike.
Take Paphos, many streets are not safe for use by bicycles, many are too narrow for using a bike with the traffic zooming past., plus many motorists drive too fast and without much care or concern for other road users. I could visualize many road accidents involving cyclists.I think that 4M in funds or grants could probably be better used to create more cycle paths and making the towns more cycle friendly and safer.
Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

Yet I've rarely seen these cycle lanes being used, it's infuriating when some cyclists stick to the road and NOT a cycle lane..
I do have some sympathy with them though as the cycle lanes do not have drop down kerbs when Crossing a road....
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I go out most days on my bike, mainly for exercise. I would say motorists here are becoming more aware of cyclists. I feel fairly safe riding along the B6 to Aphrodite's Rock and my usual daily ride is down to Mandria, along the track next to the sea, past the nurseries and then round the back of Mandria, past the cemetery. I do two circuits, then back up the hill to Anarita. I now have an electric bike so the hill back to Anarita is no problem, just like riding on the flat.

Only issues I have had. A bus driver on the way to Aphrodite's Rock, just as the first lockdown had ended and the roads were really quiet, nearly had me off my bike twice, as he came so close whilst overtaking. When I got to the rock, he was parked up, so I challenged him, telling him he was suppose to give me at least 1.5 metres when overtaking. No apology from him, just excuses and he told me the rules did not apply to a single cyclist only to overtaking groups of more than 3. He was quite aggressive so I backed down from arguing. On another occasion, again whilst riding along the B6 using the hard shoulder, a pickup truck clipped me. He was driving on the white line, weaving around, and probably on his phone.

I always cycle on the hard shoulder, if there is one. The shoulders on the B6 and many of the roads around Paphos could easily be adapted to cycle lanes. It would just need the authorities to keep them clear of debris and vegetation. The new cycle tracks on the bypass are not really fit for purpose. There are drop down kerbs, but you have to go round each corner to get to them, and often those areas are covered with vegetation. I ride wherever I think it is safe, so use the cycle tracks.