Ambulance Service

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Ambulance Service

Post by Paul »

I was told by our doctor to ring the Ambulance service to take my Wife to the Blue cross hospital.

There is a new rule in place the Ambulance service will only take people to the General hospital and not to private hospitals.

Our doctor was not aware of this new rule at the time yesterday, I had to get my wife in the car and take her myself

The ambulance service will charge for this service if the person needs to go to a private hospital.
trevnhil

Re: Ambulance Service

Post by trevnhil »

We are members of the St George and Blue Cross ambulance service, and I believe they will take you to the General.
So it is working the other way around
Of course you have to pay to be members of a private Ambulance service
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Or you pay a one off fee when required...In my case my wife needed an ambulance, we used the Evangelismos. They promptly arrived with English speaking Paramedics...who administered Oxygen etc. Took her to the Evangelismos...all for €250....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wow, that seems an expensive one off fee to me..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:51 am Wow, that seems an expensive one off fee to me..
It sounds expensive but how much does an Ambulance with driver and Paramedics cost to operate?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Obviously I have no idea about that.. But we pay less than twice the quoted amount for two of us to be members of the Blue Cross Ambulance service for a year
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Re cost Trev.....guess like all Insurance it depends how many times you use it.....
How many years have you used Blue Cross Ambulance?...
Luckily for me, after 13 years we've only had to use an Ambulance once.....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

daveg wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:23 pm Re cost Trev.....guess like all Insurance it depends how many times you use it.....
How many years have you used Blue Cross Ambulance?...
Luckily for me, after 13 years we've only had to use an Ambulance once.....
It has been run under different names over quite a few years now and we have used it quite a number of times. This would include trips to and from the General Hospital, Evangelismos Hospital, and also to Nicosia Hospital.. As you say it is like an insurance policy, it is there if you need it but you hope you won't..

T D.. You are quite right in what you say... But unless you have a crystal ball how do you know when you will need an ambulance or how often ... At one time our "Insurance" covered three people in the household
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I had to be taken to Paphos General last summer by ambulance - was on my own at the time in the local supermarket. Very impressed with the experience and care shown throughout the journey and met at the hospital by my husband. In fact the crew came back to see me later in A&E to check I was OK.

Certainly if we had more available funds I would sign up to the same scheme as trevnhil - the crew already has your medical records and if a home pick-up is required the exact location and accessibility to the property, both major items that could affect the outcome if either were not available at the time the initial phone call is made.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well mine doesn't. Check the wording on your policy.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Have the ambulance services calmed down yet? There used to be blazing rows appearing on here, which I would delete as soon as they arrived. It was like going into a strangers house and having an argument with a competitor. And when I booted the various parties I would get called every name under the sun and be accused of being in kahoots with people I had never even heard of.

Once, somebody even accused me of being SCOTTISH! What kind of an insult is that, for God's sake?

Anyway, I am asking this question to the regulars. Fresh new accounts offering in depth analyis will be treated with deep suspicion. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:13 pm Once, somebody even accused me of being SCOTTISH! What kind of an insult is that, for God's sake? :lol:
Quite a good one. . . . . .or a bad one, depending on which way you looked at it?🤔😂

Maggie B
daveg

Post by daveg »

As an aside to whether or not Ambulance Insurance is worth it...
Can I suggest you all make note of your Google Earth GPS position ....Mine is stuck on the fridge, then you can relay the info to the chosen Ambulance provider...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

In a way this was one of the reasons for going with a private ambulance company.. In our particular case it would be difficult telling the ambulance service from the General Hospital, how to get to our house.
We have no street name and no house number.. I do know the private ambulance company know haw to get here as they have been before, and indeed the office staff checked the route when they were in the village a couple of weeks ago
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just a thought these private ambulance services, people are paying for,
just how many ambulances do they have on stand by, and ready to go at any one time,
if its just the one ambulance, it sure will be a bummer if its out on call, when you need it in an emergency?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is certainly more than one ambulance for the one I am with I have seen them..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 am It is certainly more than one ambulance for the one I am with I have seen them..
Its not a question of how many are sitting in their car park,
rather how many have medics and drivers ready to go at a moments notice?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

WHL.. Just ask them, the same will go for all ambulances..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

I would ask them if I was thinking of joining up, it was a general question thats all, maybe someone who is a member of one of these services might know?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am a member, and have asked and I am satisfied with the answer :-)
Trev..