New hunting season kicks off on Sunday

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

New hunting season kicks off on Sunday

Post by Paphos Life »

Sunday August 23, will mark the first day for the island's new hunting season with the Game Service appealing to all hunters to show respect to other people's property and each other.They also ask that they be especially careful during their excursions, to avoid lighting fires or throw cigarette butts and lit matches as it is strictly prohibited....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: New hunting season kicks off on Sunday

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Good that we will get another extra hot day on Sunday... perhaps it is too hot for some of them. Maybe in this corona times they need something to eat which costs only bullets and petrol?! :roll:

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There are always problems every year. I doubt this one will be any different.. But I certainly hope there are no fires..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Oh dear! What do they hunt in August? I thought that the main hunting season starts the first Sunday in Nov (or before..)
Hopefully hunters will be careful with their cigarettes and discarded matches. I expect the police, fire service and Game Service will be on standby to cope with any injuries, falls down ravines and fires...
Dee
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The only real problems every year Trev are expats from various countries complaining about Cypriots hunting in their own country.

As long as there are no fires then so be it!

I’m lucky to have the privilege to live here and accept their way of life.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think you will find that is what I said.. :-) " But I certainly hope there are no fires "
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

In deed you did Trev, I was referring the usual barrage from expats complaining about, that’s the “problem” I was meaning 👍
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm Oh dear! What do they hunt in August? I thought that the main hunting season starts the first Sunday in Nov (or before..
Dee
You are correct, Dee. The main hunting season, with dogs, starts on 1 Nov and finishes on 31 Dec. The next season, without dogs, starts on 1 Jan and ends on 28 Feb. and of course, hunting is only permitted on Sundays and Wednesdays.
However, for a brief period in August each year, the hunters are allowed out but only in very limited areas to hunt very specific birds - whose habitat is not found in my valley, thankfully!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Aquila,
You sound holier than thou!
I was''t complaining. They do what they do,
But the fire risk is very high as we all know especially with such high temperatures.
Dee
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 pm The only real problems every year Trev are expats from various countries complaining about Cypriots hunting in their own country.

A lot of the complaining expats are simply complaining because the hunters do not abide by their own government's legislation - i.e. no hunting in conservation areas, no hunting within 200 metres of isolated houses, no hunting within 500 metres of villages ...
I live in a valley where my side is conservation and the other side has sufficient houses to prevent hunting on most of it, particularly the area nearest my house. However, I often hear hunters very close, and hear the spent shot falling on my roof, in my garden and in my pool. I have seen (and reported) hunters in the conservation area. I am not tarring all hunters with the same brush, but if they would ALL obey the regulations, there would be far fewer complaints about hunting.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its the same every year, expats having their little moans re hunters personally I dont get this hunting pelava, and wouldn't be sad if it never happened, but its their country and who are we to wag a finger, when back in blighty, grouse and all other manner of living things are blasted to smitherings,
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PW in Polemi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:02 pm
The Aquila wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 pm The only real problems every year Trev are expats from various countries complaining about Cypriots hunting in their own country.

A lot of the complaining expats are simply complaining because the hunters do not abide by their own government's legislation - i.e. no hunting in conservation areas, no hunting within 200 metres of isolated houses, no hunting within 500 metres of villages ...
I live in a valley where my side is conservation and the other side has sufficient houses to prevent hunting on most of it, particularly the area nearest my house. However, I often hear hunters very close, and hear the spent shot falling on my roof, in my garden and in my pool. I have seen (and reported) hunters in the conservation area. I am not tarring all hunters with the same brush, but if they would ALL obey the regulations, there would be far fewer complaints about hunting.
This is exactly the reason I don't like the so called "hunting of birds", Kay. Of course Cyprus is Their country where they can do what they always did, but in the past it was for different reason. (food) Now as Cyprus is member of the EU and there are different laws they should slowly adjust.

By the way: the areas they are allowed are more or less always the same, only different species they are allowed to hunt in different times.
Here for example one can see the birds allowed in August to shoot. It is from the Gov's website.
http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/wildlife/wild ... 202020.pdf

Max
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Kay

I quite agree, I think many who live out of the built up areas in Cyprus, have been peppered at one time or another, with shot falling from the sky. I know we were. Trucks driving past our house with the passenger holding his gun out of the window, hunters shooting a couple of yards from us on spare land. It's stupid and illegal but they do it.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, my dogs and I had a narrow escape when a hunter on the hill above, decided to shoot (at a bird?) in a tree just as we were approaching it on their walk. The shot rained down from the tree and nearly hit one of the dogs. Very scary. He must have seen me as I was wearing a red
padded gilet.
This was when I was living in Kamares. Since I moved to a village close to Paphos thankfully there is no hunting here!
Dee

Dee
Paul

Post by Paul »

The hunters first kill a road sign.
I have seen load of road signs with shot gun holes in them.