Elon Musk 4th richest person in the world...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Elon Musk 4th richest person in the world...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This development of Tesla will surely shut up all the pessimists who still believe that E-cars are not the near future of driving...

Today in the news: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-mus ... 14396.html

Max
Uncle D

Re: Elon Musk 4th richest person in the world...

Post by Uncle D »

This just means more rich, energy conscious people are buying Tesla cars, I have only ever seen them in North America , not in Europe. They are out of the price bracket of most people and when they are sold on as second hand they are no longer reliable enough to consider buying.
There's a long way to go yet, I am sure electric cars will get cheaper but the charging infrastructure will be a nightmare.

Last edited by Uncle D on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
emgee

Post by emgee »

Where do you plug them in on the Motorways whilst having a 30 minute break in the Services?
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The two people I know here in Cyprus who have them seem very happy with them. One guy has two of them.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

emgee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:13 am Where do you plug them in on the Motorways whilst having a 30 minute break in the Services?
Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of people in the UK, for example, who don't have off-road parking, or live in a tower block.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

DavidatLWH wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:47 pm
emgee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:13 am Where do you plug them in on the Motorways whilst having a 30 minute break in the Services?
Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of people in the UK, for example, who don't have off-road parking, or live in a tower block.
Strange isn't it. No one seems to come back with an answer for the question you have posed
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 pm
Strange isn't it. No one seems to come back with an answer for the question you have posed
Can they not buy a hybrid ?

Let them eat cake , I say . ;)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mouse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 pm Electric for city cars, if you have your own off street parking, hybrids for motorway / intercity. In Cyprus how green is most of the electric produced. Suppose you could have an of grid solar system charging batteries which could then charge the car at night, looking at a large carbon footprint for all those bits! I think petrol will be here a while longer.
No need to have a island system with batteries.... I charge my hybrid 4x4 at lunch time with my PV system on the roof, with a cable direct from a kitchen wall socket if necessary....so no large carbon footprint bits necessary as you said.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mouse wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm Hybrid , not electric, in would guess you need a lot more power for electric, and clearly you have off street parking, many do not !
When my car batteries are fully charged I can drive app 50 km pure electric, which is good enough for me to go to town and back etc....

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:48 pm
mouse wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm Hybrid , not electric, in would guess you need a lot more power for electric, and clearly you have off street parking, many do not !
When my car batteries are fully charged I can drive app 50 km pure electric, which is good enough for me to go to town and back etc....

Max
How would that work for taxi drivers, delivery drivers, ambulances, police cars, people working in different towns etc etc etc
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Max
How would that work for taxi drivers, delivery drivers, ambulances, police cars, people working in different towns etc etc etc
If the battery gets low it automatically switches to hybrid mode and the engine comes on and charges the batteries as well if you want to. There are several modes like "save battery", "charge battery", "pure electric", which I can switch on.

Max
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Mrblobby wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm
trevnhil wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Can they not buy a hybrid ?

Let them eat cake , I say . ;)
I suppose it's quite possible that people in high rise flats probably can't afford a hybrid.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

If they can’t afford an electric car why did YOU mention them , DavidatLWH ?
daveg

Post by daveg »

Re Hybrid car, I am in the process of buying a new car, I enquired about the feasibility of a Hybrid...was asked my annual mileage ( 12k KMS) ..and was quietly adviced that financially it's just not worth the extra amount of a Hybrid over a petrol car....
Have a new petrol car being delivered next week....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Taking Cyprus as an example (good or bad) I believe in hot weather when aircons are used a lot, there is very little spare generating capacity from the power stations..
If we change to electric powered vehicles where is all the extra power going to be generated from ..

It may well be the same situation in the UK, but I can't be sure about that..
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

DavidatLWH
I suppose it's quite possible that people in high rise flats probably can't afford a hybrid.?????

What a ridiculous statement to make – You sound just like those ignorant knobs who
typecast the British student’s capabilities by awarding grades based on their postcode area and almost cost them their future.
Not everyone who lives in a High Rise Flat is a peasant – And just for the record I don’t.

If that’s your best input to the thread you really should not have bothered
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The topic was that E-cars will be the way of driving in the near future, one proof are the car sales of Elon Musk's Tesla company. Of course we are way back in Cyprus concerning charging points and infrastructure but I believe with extra EU money available for renewable projects and infrastructure measures from next year, there is a good chance to pick up the speed also here. If one buys a e-car in Germany he can receive up to 9000 Euro discount etc. Also in Cyprus are discounts and subsidy possible.

You can buy p.e. a VW e-up for less than 16.000 Euro (6000 less from Government subsidy + dealer discount!
https://efahrer.chip.de/elektroautos#he ... ahrt=false

In Germany are actual 28.000 charging points for the 280.000 registered E-/hybrid cars with the aim to reach 100.000 charge stations end of 2020.

Max
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Just been watching a tv series with a battery powered car in it . Good Behaviour , with lady Mary .