Eye treatment

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PIp

Eye treatment

Post by PIp »

Can anyone recommend anywhere to have cataracts done and also approx. how much it costs?
trevnhil

Re: Eye treatment

Post by trevnhil »

My wife had one eye done last year via 'Maria' at the Iasis Hospital, and was very satisfied. The Op and the follow up checks were €1,600.. The other will need doing in the future and she will be going to the same place..

Trev..
Trev..
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I second that, Maria is my eye doctor too.
PIp

Post by PIp »

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Rosemary had hers done in Limassol by Dr Theodoros Potamitis at the Pantheo Eye clinic in Limassol. She had top of the range Zeiss bifocal lenses fitted so now does not need her reading glasses. Cost was around €2000 per eye, but this includes all follow up visits and annual checkups for life.
She was really pleased with the results, after hearing from friends some horror stories about NHS operations.
He was recommended by Aristas at Elean. Rosemary originally went to see Maria at the Iasis having being sent there by Aristas, to have her cataracts confirmed.
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

I agree with Anarita John, I had both mine done at Pantheo Eye Clinic.
A little bit more expensive than some, but top of the range lenses and as many follow up visits as you or he, feel are necessary.
PIp

Post by PIp »

Thanks Anarita John. Sorry to take so long to reply but my friend on whose behalf I asked has made other arrangements. Once again thanks very much to you and everyone who replied.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Pip

Seems I am a little late on this one. However I can confirm the sentiments expressed by those who recommended Dr Maria at the Iasis. I had cataracts removed (both eyes but one at a time) late last year (December)

and the operations were both successful and I now can read without spectacles save for the very smallest print (I am 85). The cost was 1,600 euros per eye but that included all follow up appointments 4 per eye and I am more than satisfied - no more nasty dazzle from headlights when driving at night. Dr Maria does not carry out the operations she assists Dr George Papamichael (Consultant Opthalmic Surgeon) from Nicosia who explains what he is going to do etc. Dr Maria carries out the initial examinations to ascertain whether there are cataracts present or anything else which might be causing problems. All in all I can without hesitation recommend both individuals and I was terrified at the thought when I first attended but no worries they were all so very thorough and kind.

Incidentally mention is made of Zeiss lenses and I have absolutely no doubt they are excellent but they are a product of their opthalmic equipment (nothing to do with their photographic etc equipment) and as I understand it have merged with the Company who produced those used by the Iasis (a Canadian Company I believe). I did research all this before I ventured forth with my ops and was satisfied. Each individual is different and it is not merely a question of having cataracts removed but more having the correct lenses for the type. There is no such thing as a one size fits all lense. I can only reiterate I can see far more clearly than I have done in years and read without spectacles.

Hope this helps others who maybe contemplating surgery but do your research in any event.

Rita
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Very nice and helpful reply thanks, Rita! I had both eyes done for Cataracts within a few months of each other here in UK on the NHS for free a couple of years ago, aged around 67, I guess...

This actually started from a Tesco eye test, would you believe? Only downside afterwards was that I needed 2.5 reading glasses to see my crosswords and puzzles. But for night driving, brilliant!!! No more halos around street lamps, rear lamps from cars in front of you, nor headlamps from vehicles approaching towards you!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

What a useful thread this is for me. I'm on the hunt for an eye surgeon who will operate on eyes that have previously had radial keratotomy - basically a forerunner of laser in which your eyeballs are cut several times to flatten them! It worked a treat, but that was about 30 years ago and now I need something else done. Many surgeons are concerned about operating on eyeballs that have had RK, but I will contact these two consultants in due course, and see what they say.