Well that will get the whole country behind Brexit!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Lynsab

Re: Well that will get the whole country behind Brexit!

Post by Lynsab »

Like Blair or loathe him, his speech has substance, he KNEW he'd be vilified by the media and others but still made the speech...

He's correct in much of what he says, although I've no stomach for another referendum as was before...

As so much of our media focuses on personality (even with a government so devoid of them) rather than policy, the kind of serious argument he was mounting can easily get lost amid the noise and the hate.

Brexit has divided the country across its nations, regions and generations, contrary to May's claim to have 65 million people behind her...that's NOT the case.

There's no monopoly on patriotism and that there might be a patriotic case for wishing to reverse the referendum decision, if enough people feel it will be damaging to the UK. I'm not one of them as it happens, as I'm getting on with my life which for now is good retirement...but IF I pay any more at all for living without the EU...I will fight back large and loud alongside many more...

Those in power who try desperately to shut down opposing opinion a bit like Trump in the US and Putin in Russia are the ones we should be watching....
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

I don't think anyone is trying to shut anyone up.

I think Bliar should be on the news once an hour from now until the Article 50 trigger, preferably accompanied by that slug Mandleson, explaining why the British people are too stupid to know what they are doing.

I cant think of a better way to ensure a smooth and well supported exit
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

tb effect.JPG
tb effect.JPG (45.95 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

If you take into account what Trump actually said however, rather than what you would have liked him to say to prove your point;

And if you are Swedish, and don't understand why your country is how it is now;

You end up somewhere around here

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/tr ... -possible/
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

geoffreys wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm
Firefly wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:15 pm To be honest I think Blair is in it for the money, (what else). Perhaps he thinks he can rule, sorry lead, the UK as PM, if he can make it to leader of the Labour Party again. He's a double dyed trouble maker, the sooner gone the better.

Jackie
I think forum member Lynsab would say he is just bonkers, like she thinks Donald Trump is.
:lol:
Geoff.
One of his former friends certainly thinks he isn't quite the full ticket. According to author Robert Harris, in an article in The Guardian, he believes Blair is a tragic narcissist with a messiah complex. Seems a tad harsh to me, but it's his opinion. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ert-harris
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Pete G wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 pmtb effect.JPG
Ah yes but did those asked understand exactly what was in the poll?! ;-) :lol:
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm
geoffreys wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm
Firefly wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:15 pm To be honest I think Blair is in it for the money, (what else). Perhaps he thinks he can rule, sorry lead, the UK as PM, if he can make it to leader of the Labour Party again. He's a double dyed trouble maker, the sooner gone the better.

Jackie
I think forum member Lynsab would say he is just bonkers, like she thinks Donald Trump is.
Geoff.
One of his former friends certainly thinks he isn't quite the full ticket. According to author Robert Harris, in an article in The Guardian, he believes Blair is a tragic narcissist with a messiah complex. Seems a tad harsh to me, but it's his opinion. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ert-harris
"not the full shilling" is the phrase I think you were looking for, in which case I would value him as two and six!
Geoff.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Attachments
Dear John
Dear John
image.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well that's just the opinion of two people.......and ?

We are always led to believe lies, that includes all politicians, past, present and no doubt future ones.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

You know what they say "the old ones are the best" and "many a true word said in jest" .

Let's face it the UK has had 40 years in the EU , when we have had 40 years out , perhaps people will be saying " that Major bloke was right ......or not .