The UK’s expansionist policy towards the EU pre 2012

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

The UK’s expansionist policy towards the EU pre 2012

Post by Jimgward »

The UK was one of the biggest proponents of allowing former Easternblock countries into an ever expanding EU - something that affected the community and also led to mass immigration moving Westward.

A bit like a reveller coming to the street party, after asking for more drink, throwing up, then leaving without clearing up....?
Jimgym

Re: The UK’s expansionist policy towards the EU pre 2012

Post by Jimgym »

Didn't Tony Blair do just that?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Are you trying to imply that the movement was the UK's fault, otherwise I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

That the UK were part of the contribution to the problem of bringing in too many countries that were in a different financial situation and where problems of migration were always going to happen - so we contributed to one of the biggest gripes about the EU - more than most!

We are now leaving the mess....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank God we are leaving, seems we are to blame for everything !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:33 pm That the UK were part of the contribution to the problem of bringing in too many countries that were in a different financial situation and where problems of migration were always going to happen - so we contributed to one of the biggest gripes about the EU - more than most!

We are now leaving the mess....
So Germany, France et al weren't complicit then?

Perhaps you should read this https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/ ... g-out-tune, it goes a long way to explaining why the EU is facing huge problems on it's doorstep from its own expansionist policies ………………………… and France is contemplating a 2-tier union, I'm sure that will go down well with the Eastern Bloc compatriots!

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 pm [

So Germany, France et al weren't complicit then?

Shane
I think I carefully used the word PART - any other explanation needed?

Here is one article on what I am referring to...

https://www.euractiv.com/section/enlarg ... largement/
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

A very SMALL part.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Suddenly, and I quote "The UK was one of the biggest proponents" becomes "I think I carefully used the word PART - any other explanation needed?"

Yep, how can you become one of the biggest and then a part ……… think about it? :lol: :lol:

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 pm Jim, give it up...you will blame the UK for the ills of the world...from colonialism to the Middle East...to the state of the EU, the relationship with the USA or Russia...it would seem it is always our fault...you and people like you are the problem...You blame anyone but yourselves...you believe the opinions of anyone..as long as that opinion is against the values, the traditions the culture of the UK...sad.
Oh, your back and as vitriolic as before. Close your eyes, deeply and reminisce about BRITANNIA.... and a world that never existed in your view of it...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
You should read Ingloriou Empire by Shashi Tharoor or read what was done to the Tasmanian Aboriginals or the Australian Aboriginals for that matter. Read up on how borders were drawn up in Africa and the Middle East without consideration for the ethnic tribes leaving the legacy that we have today of warring factions in synthetic countries.
Like you I was brought up on the glory of the British Empire but it also had many failings which you appear to not be able to accept.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Huddswell, you're so wrong - no change there - I am a proud Brit who happens to recognise where and when we have gone wrong, as I'm not a forelock-tugging, brain-washed person, who is happy with their lot. My lot and that of my kids and grandkids can be changed and recognition of wrongs - not all in the past - Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Saudi, Syria and many more all today.....

I don' want a world where politicians elected on a remit from the electorate, can then let power corrupt them and do what they like. Modern media means we have a voice we never had before and can stop corruption.

Austerity is a prime example of punishing the poor for mistakes of the rich. It continues and would be worse if the voices didn't object so much. Teachers, Nurses and others are much worse off that 10 years ago and our services are suffering as a result. Policing has been decimated, leading to huge rises in crime.

Even though all this is happening, I am still proud of Britain and what it can do - but not based on outdated ideologies of empire, colonialism and control of the poor.

And I would never vote for Corbyn - even though he has some honest ideals. He is the wrong person, with no charisma and too extreme in too many areas. So avoid your usual 'communist' come backs. I am far from extreme left and would class myself as a Social Democrat.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell, who gives us the right to intervene in Iraq or Libya, when we ignore worse atrocities in other countries? We aren't doing it out of humanitarian morals, but for financial leverage or gain. It isn't about terror either, or we would have invaded Saudi a long time ago.

As to the bloated welfare state - one could take the opinion that we shouldn't pay any 'welfare' - which is one view - but that would eradicate pensions to public employees - including MOD, teachers and nurses and many more...

Of the roughly 25% of public spending that goes to 'welfare' - roughly 14% ends upon working age benefits - child support and more. The other 11% is in the pensions etc. In fact, more goes to support families on zero-hour and minimum wage contracts, than to unemployed. All of which have been drastically cut over the past 7 years.

In an ideal world, there would be no employed - but also everyone would earn a living wage. The super. rich, like the Retail owners, benefit more from the Government spending on welfare, than anyone else.

We now have one of the largest percentages of. children living under the poverty level, in the West. We also have more foodbanks. So, I'll refrain from tipping my hat to the rich purveyors of power.....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

We also have a lot of rough sleepers on our streets, many of whom are ex Forces who have served our country in Iraq or Afghanistan, but who are thrown on the scrap heap when they need their country to help them.

Jackie
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It is estimated that 14million people in the UK, live below the acceptable poverty level. (60% of median income)

Government statistics show 4.1 million children now living in relative poverty compared with four million the previous year, accounting for more than 30 per cent of children.

Sadly, things like Brexit has prevented us all from being aware of people in dire need in the UK.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Eh...... a few Keos too many there, big chap..,... makes no sense....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Good retort :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pmAnd there are people throughout the EU, indeed the world in dire need....nothing to do with Brexit.
Well, it does have to do with Brexit insofar as there will be more of them thereafter.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

As in the past, the UK would be the first to send any necessary aid to failing EU states.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just as an aside on that post Hudswell, I was quite astonished to see the off-duty SAS soldier who was "on an errand in Nairobi" with no hesitation grab his assault rifle, pistol and combat knife from his car and immediately become embroiled in saving the victims of the terrorist attack. He seemed to be everywhere, instantly taking charge, ushering people to safety as well as shooting at the attackers. Remarkable to see training kicking in so instantly and courageously.