The Real Costs of Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Real Costs of Brexit

Post by Dominic »

Just heard from my sister. The NHS will no longer be able to give her the immunology treatment she has been having, as its price is doubling after Brexit.

I wonder how many other people up and down the country will be receiving similar news over the next few weeks?

I wonder how many of them voted for Brexit?

I wonder, if they were give the option to change their mind, how many of them would?

Would that be undemocratic?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Re: The Real Costs of Brexit

Post by Jim B »

Sorry to hear that Dominic. What can we say.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My sister used to be a nurse, so knows her way around the system.
T@T

Post by T@T »

Not sure why the cost of treatment would double after brexit. Most medication is cheaper to buy outside the EU! I used to work for a well known American pharmaceutical company who would export its UK made products to countries outside the UK then re-import them at a higher price.

Its amazing how guessing what will happen after brexit is suddenly a certainty.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It is called forward planning. Businesses have to do that.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As a business owner, I received my ‘hurried’ letter from HMRC re the necessity to register if I want to import or export post brexit. Warning that I need to do 3 things;

Register for a UK economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number if I want to contumely to import or export and if I want the reduced customs processes
Decide if I want to hire an Agent to make declarations (ohoh - her we go) - otherwise I will need to buy software to interact
Contact any haulage or import/export agency to setup safety and security declarations

So, at the last minute, every UK business with any business in the EU OR any of the EU agreement countries with trade agreements with them, will need to jump to just even sure they can continue.... never mind the warning it will be much more difficult...

Additionally, the UK is standing aside 3,500 troops and warning that Dovefr could be running. At 20% efficiency for many months due to priority given to medical and other supplies....

.... and this is just the beginning....
T@T

Post by T@T »

you forgot the fire and pestilence that will ravage the country.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Information on fire and pestilence is presently coming from the British Government and wasn't it Donald Trump who was complaining about the low prices American drug companies were being forced to sell their products to the NHS; he did state that this would be resolved during future trade negotiations between the States and the UK. Maybe that's why there's talk of drug prices doubling.

Jim
T@T

Post by T@T »

No firm in the world is "forced" to sell its products to another country and once we leave the EU we will be free to set our own import tariffs.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

T@T wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 am No firm in the world is "forced" to sell its products to another country and once we leave the EU we will be free to set our own import tariffs.
You really should look back over old posts, especially those with links to WTO rules and you may come to realise that it won't be as simple as you appear to think it will. Presently little Moldova is leading the charge to put the boot into the UK when it applies for favoured WTO terms.
Of course you are correct regarding selling to other countries but Trump was complaining about the disparity between prices charged for drugs manufactured in the States compared to those prices negotiated by the NHS in the UK and did state this would be corrected in the trade negotiations between said countries and I don't believe he was going to force the American drug companies to lower their prices at home.

Jim
T@T

Post by T@T »

WTO rules put a ceiling on tariffs, nothing to stop countries lowering the tariffs.

"In the WTO, when countries agree to open their markets for goods or services, they “bind” their commitments. For goods, these bindings amount to ceilings on customs tariff rates. Sometimes countries tax imports at rates that are lower than the bound rates."
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It is not 'immediate' to be able to join the WTO and it is seen as a very, very poor relation of the EU agreements.....

If nothing else, Brexit should retain the ability to trade seamlessly with the EU
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

T@T
You're saying it's easy joining the WTO, others disagree.

Jim

https://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-s ... -uk-regThe aining-wto-status-post-brexit

https://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-s ... ost-brexit
T@T

Post by T@T »

This is how easy it would be for the UK to trade under WTO rules.

" The United Kingdom has been a WTO member since 1 January 1995 and a member of GATT since 1 January 1948. It is a member State of the European Union (more info). All EU member States are WTO members, as is the EU (until 30 November 2009 known officially in the WTO as the European Communities for legal reasons) in its own right."

Not many remainers mention that fact, I wonder why?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If you read the second article I posted it explains why it's not going to be as straight forward as you believe.
You could also watch 3 blokes in a pub videos on Youtube where one of the guys who is a Trade Deal Negotiator explains the difficulties with WTO membership.
I don't profess to be an expert on the WTO but it appears 99% of experts do believe politicians who state it will be easy to renegotiate membership are misleading the public.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

What's new !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.