BBC 1 Inside Out Pissouri.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
RattyPatty

BBC 1 Inside Out Pissouri.

Post by RattyPatty »

If you are interested. Tomorrow evening n BBC 1 7.30 pm programme is about the shamefully built houses that are cracking up and sliding down the hill in Pissouri.
memory man

Re: BBC 1 Inside Out Pissouri.

Post by memory man »

Is that 7.30 pm Cyprus time or UK time?
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

I challenge you Brian . . . . . .to find out for your flipping self! 🤣🤣🤣

Having said that (whilst trying to take the Mickey) I can't find it in my TV guide??? 😣

Could it be showing in a certain region in the UK?

Baggie M.
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

I am in England at the moment (cold and wet. temp going down to 6 degrees tonight. And that's on the south coast) so watching the telly and it came up. 21.30 Cyprus time.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

My TV Guide just states: 7.30 Inside Out 4 of 9. Regional documentary series focusing on topical stories of interest in and around the local area.

Intrigued, so will definitely have a look!
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Should have said Meridian region.
memory man

Post by memory man »

BBC: Pissouri houses torn apart by what’s thought to be a landslide

The plight of British families whose homes have been ripped apart in the village of Pissouri is the focus of BBC One’s Inside Out South programme to be broadcast on Monday evening.

Three British couples who spoke to the programme said they feel abandoned by the Cypriot Government.

Peter and Kayt Field from Newbury and Herefordshire, Jeremy and Katherine Yeomans from Surrey, and Mick and Louise Ellis from Buckinghamshire spoke to BBC Inside Out South about the devastation that’s been caused.

“This is all we have. This was our dream home,” a tearful Katherine Yeomans told the programme. “We can’t go back to the UK because we have nothing there. We have no property there.”

Retired army colonel Peter Field welcomed the BBC crew to his home wearing a hard hat. “Come and see what is left of our home,” he says as the camera shows huge cracks and debris.

A geologist says the houses have been built on an active slow-moving landslide. The families say they were unaware of any risks.

The BBC notes that similar to the UK, insurers in Cyprus do not cover landslides and it is the government which is responsible for compensating for natural disasters.

A Limassol district office representative told the BBC that the government will try to help as much it could.

But the BBC notes that the Cypriot Government has been investigating for six years and has not agreed a landslide is to blame yet, so there have been no payouts.

https://in-cyprus.com/news/local/bbc-pi ... landslide/
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

If you are looking for the program on bbc iPlayer , you have to set your region to South . It’s about 10 minuets long at the start of the show .

We have not watched it yet .

I just found a link that might work . But just a 2 minuet trailer .

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

More info on the land slip , if you are interested .

https://www.geocasehistoriesjournal.org ... 1_2/pdf_14
Attachments
8AC9CF35-9378-4BBB-805A-AFEE345B0C7C.jpeg
8AC9CF35-9378-4BBB-805A-AFEE345B0C7C.jpeg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks for posting your link which worked for me! I feel so sorry for the poor people who bought those houses for their retirement in good faith.Very shabby treatment for them so far. The Cyprus Govt, in the shape of the Limassol authorities are sloping their shoulders and for 6 years have been talking about their investigations, but doing ABSOLUTELY nothing to rectify the problem of allowing the houses to be built on unstable ground.
We have a similar problem with a sliding abd slipping building on the approach road to Kamares.
Building here was abandoned about 7 years ago, Despite many complaints, numerous ‘Investigations’ surveys etc still,nothing...Apparently a court case is looming but no one will take any responsibility for what was allowed to happen. To remove all buildings and stabilise the hillside is rumoured to cost circa €200,000.
I suspect it will be allowed to eventually fall down, obliterate the road below and anything on It at the time..
This is Cyprus which could do with some properly qualified surveyors in The planning depts!
Dee
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Hi Lloyd , I think Dee was referring to the cost of demolition of the site at KAMARES , the link to the news article . From 2016 .

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/02/19/demol ... s-in-tala/
Attachments
BD7A1FDC-95B2-4537-9AA6-5C94661B4576.jpeg
BD7A1FDC-95B2-4537-9AA6-5C94661B4576.jpeg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

How dreadful, the dream turned nightmare. I must say I have seen some properties built in Cyprus, that I would never dream of buying, I think maybe we all have.

I hope something will be done to help them, but I won't hold my breath, knowing how long Cypriot officialdom takes to work.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Firefly wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm
I hope something will be done to help them, but I won't hold my breath, knowing how long Cypriot officialdom takes to work.

Jackie
I'm confused; what is meant by 'work'?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Err, move along, come to a conclusion, reach a decision, take your pick.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.