swimming pools

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
manxie

swimming pools

Post by manxie »

have just received e-mail from pafila regarding communal pool they are saying regulations say we need life guard for 8 hours x 7 days weekly +weekly water test + change water 4 times a year + some other things estmation for this 18,300 eur a year I do not think this includes the cost of water this subject has been on fourm before has any one else had e-mails from their developers I wonder how many owners will say fill the pool in
Miyagi

Re: swimming pools

Post by Miyagi »

Same here also Pafilia. My email attachment heading read "Licence for Public Swimming Pool" but ours are privately owned!!!
Anoula

Post by Anoula »

We are also on a complex, having only 20 units, so the proposed requirements are completely over the top. We would not have considered buying a place without the use of a pool, but if this law is rigidly enforced I think a lot of pools will be filled in as the expense would be too high to comply fully. Anywhere else the law would be amended to something more realistic pretty quickly.
Anoula
angieb

Post by angieb »

I have also received the same correspondence from Pafilia/Blue Orange.
Back in 2011, I asked them about these requirements, and this is the reply I received then, I get the impression something must have happened recently to prompt the new letter:

7 February 2011
My colleague, Naso, has asked me to reply to you regarding the requirement for life-guards in Cyprus. This law has actually been around for a long time but it is so unworkable, that everybody basically ignored it. However, during a quiet spell for the municipality, checks were carried out to see who was complying with the law and of course, nobody was. As a means of attempting to meet with the requirements and after numerous meetings with the bods in the local municipality, we agreed that we would put all of the Security people and pool maintenance people through life guard and first aid training. We also agreed to carry out more frequent independent water testing but not as many as the law required. These measures meant that we were seen as making an effort to comply with the law and as such, have been accepted and all has gone quiet.

The law as it stands requires a life guard to be on duty during the opening hours of the pool and that life guard must be first aid trained. Depending on the size of the pool, a recovery room might also be required. The water must be analysed by an independent lab every week --- and so it goes on. Can you imagine the costs which all owners would have to pay to meet with the law, it would be totally prohibitive. We understand that there is another law lurking about which insists that the pool area should be fenced in but all is quiet on that front at the moment. Given that Pafos is experiencing a down turn in tourism at the moment, forcing these additional costs on owners is just crazy and almost suicidal.

I hope this answers your question. We have done all that has been required of us at the moment.
darrow

Post by darrow »

I have mentioned this before. Owners need to get together and app!y to the European Courts of Human rights, that you are having your rights to enjoy your property in peace, taken away by these laws, which were recomended to be revised, by the EU, when Cyprus joined over 10 years. All relevant information can be found on the EU site. It is there, free of charge for EU citizens.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In your shoes, I would thank them for the email and do nothing. They have complied with their obligations. It is up to you to comply with yours as you see fit. The bottom line is that in the event of an accident, the paper chain now ends with you, not them.

But I am not in your shoes. You are. It is up to you what you do.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 pm You may wish to ask Pafilia when they are not petioning the Government as to why They are still dithering over changes to Pool regulations which would see Cyprus adopting the European standards which would see pools on Complexes classified as "Private" negating the requirement for a "Full Time" lifeguard...it seems to me that Pafilia are trying to generate some extra income....

Can you send me a link or source to this EU legislation? Many thanks.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A couple of weeks ago we visited relatives staying at the Corallia Beach hotel apartments. We made more than one visit and sat around the pool each time watching people swimming and playing in the pool.
At no time did we ever see a lifeguard on duty.. Hand on heart, I could not say there was not one there, but I never saw one at all.
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm I’ve just applied to Pafilia to be their life guard and test the water for them....I’ve offered my services for any places where there are two or three complexes side by side so it should be a nice little earner 😉 .

Seriously though, if everyone has their title deeds then get rid of the developer and form your own management committee and get rid of them.
"Form your own management committee and get rid of them"??? Is that what you are saying or is it that you are getting rid of the developer twice?
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 pm Why? Actually.. our developer, Leptos, is doing an extremely good job of maintaining the infrastructure of the complex? They know the build, they know the layout, they know exactly who owns the properties and who owes what in regard to complex fees....and at the moment ..they own that debt...The pool is checked daily...the cleaner comes around once a week, the Gardener two or three times...yes the time will come when we form a management committee for the 70 odd properties on the complex..any volunteers!
But do they provide a life guard on duty?
emgee

Post by emgee »

Having Title Deeds does not change the Law. You are able to visit any pool in Cyprus and use it, it's the Law and people are too scared to stop you.

This needs Government action which has not happened for so many years and arises every year or two to frighten newly moved in residents.

Keep swimming.

Alan