Unite Cyprus Now calls for confidence building measures

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Unite Cyprus Now calls for confidence building measures

Post by Paphos Life »

Pro reunification group UniteCyprusNow (UCN) have called for the immediate implementation of confidence-building measures, raising concerns that recent actions taken on both sides of the divide have created tension and caused discontent among the people of Cyprus....

Read the article and chat about it below...
jeba

Re: Unite Cyprus Now calls for confidence building measures

Post by jeba »

Judging from my experience with German reunification I can only say to those wanting reunification: Be careful what you wish for. It might have side effects you hadn´t considered. Like e. g. all of a sudden having a lot or people entitled to the pension pot without having paid contributions. Just to give an example. Maybe the price is worth paying but I´m missing awareness that there will be a price to pay.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was hardly their fault that they couldn't pay contributions.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 am It was hardly their fault that they couldn't pay contributions.
Of course not. But it wasn´t the fault of Western pensioners either.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

At least the Germans were sensible enough to set land and housing compensation at 1947 levels. The proposals here for compensation at todays property levels would I understand make several hundreds of people millionaires but bankrupt the new federated country before it got off the ground.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Usually those formerly dispossessed of their properties received them back. Which of course in many cases caused trouble as well since e. g. tenants who lived there didn´t want to move out or pay the suddenly much higher rents while at the same time being made redundant by their no longer competitive employers. Reunifications are cans of worms.