CAR PARKING ON MESOGI(POLIS)ROAD

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
TandC

CAR PARKING ON MESOGI(POLIS)ROAD

Post by TandC »

I noticed a surge of activity booking cars parked the Mesogi Road today. Most of them were between the yellow line on the road and the pavement. I always thought this was OK. Anybody know the rules?
ApusApus

Re: CAR PARKING ON MESOGI(POLIS)ROAD

Post by ApusApus »

This happened a few days ago as well and they seemed to be booking cars that were parked in or on the yellow lines but were on the white diagonal lines around the corners of the junctions! I noticed that Kolios put out red & white cones around their entrance to stop parking in this area! :)

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

Not sure what was happening, but as I came out of the main Paps at the traffic lights on the Polis road there were two or three cops on scooters checking the cars in the disabled spaces. No probs whatsoever with this, these spaces are provided for a very good reason. Just hope they were clocking those parked illegally :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't think they had any Jurisdiction in a private car park. But I suppose they must have or they would not have been checking the cars..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Link to an English version of the Cyprus HIghway Code. Reference to Lines on the Road is in Section 10:

http://www.drivetogether.eu/App_Directo ... nglish.pdf
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

galexinda wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 pm Link to an English version of the Cyprus HIghway Code. Reference to Lines on the Road is in Section 10:

http://www.drivetogether.eu/App_Directo ... nglish.pdf
Excellent link, thanks, I will put that in the Useful Information section.

And welcome to the forum, TandC. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the update on the wardens and police having jurisdiction over private car parks.

I must admit that the Hire Cars opposite Paps at the harbour annoy me.. I wonder if I could park there as long as they do without a ticket. It is just an extension to his rental business..
Trev..
tonee

Post by tonee »

His cars also occupy most of the spaces on the car park at the back of paps.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

A couple of weeks ago Rosemary had an appointment at the physio clinic above Soffit on the Polis Road. I decided I would walk down to the old town and have a coffee at Aristis's place, opposite the car park.
It was the most dangerous walk I have ever undertaken. Pavement is on opposite sides of the roads, where it exists, and had cars parked on them. I ended up having to walk round cars on the road. At one point, one business owner has blocked the space in front of his shop, which I presume was a pavement, with a railing.
Anyone with a pram or pushing a wheelchair would find it impossible.
Witnessed exactly the same last night at the triangle when we went for a meal at Rimmini. Because of the parking clampdown I decided to drop off our guests at the restaurant and even though we had a disabled badge, to move the car to a road off the main road. Again, lots of cars parked on pavements which meant I had to walk on the road.
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

Good for the Police, they should do it far more often, and also include the Coral Bay strip, the double yellows there are completely ignored. Another wind up is the car park on TotK road where O'Neills bar is, always full of red plates waiting to go out on hire, and isn't it supposed to be pay and display? There should be a remove and crush policy here to make people take notice.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I saw them this morning while popping into Computer SOS, three narks on scooters sticking white tickets on cars parked on scrub-land near the Lemba Bizarre, they should really be sorting out other more serious problems than fly parking, driving while using a phone for one, Kids on fast scooters with no exhausts, no tax insurance or helmets, police must get their prioritises correct I feel, not fly parking, that is usually down to insufficient parking areas, always been a problem near banks etc.
Jim.
TandC

Post by TandC »

Never seen term fly parking before! that is a bit worrying as surely its not a problem as its off road?
JimX

Post by JimX »

NARK :lol: we always used this as kids, fly parking is who they are after, I feel they should tackle those phone users, kids on mopeds etc. this could and does kill people! I do not think parking does, but it can be very annoying.

Booking folks for parking on open waste land seems very narkish as far as I am concerned, a big waste of human resources.

Nark is not my word Flossie but from an Online Dictionary..

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nark
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I haven’t heard the term ‘Nark’ before - where have I been?
But thought that police informers ‘grassed’.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We went to Paps at the harbour yesterday and I had difficulty finding a place in their multi story car park.
The store seemed not too busy, and when we came out the guy where the gas bottles are stored was holding a chain across the entrance.. I asked what he was doing and he said he was trying to stop holiday makers parking there and then just going onto the promenade, and not into the store...
Trev..
TandC

Post by TandC »

We seem to have lost our way bit. I still dont understand the status of the piece of road between the yellow lines and the pavement. Or is it just"more road" i e not for parking or stopping
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

TandC wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:52 pm We seem to have lost our way bit. I still dont understand the status of the piece of road between the yellow lines and the pavement. Or is it just"more road" i e not for parking or stopping
Look in the Cyprus Highway Code. A link was posted on this thread.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nark is not slang for traffic warden. As to "fly parking", that is certainly a new one on me, and just about everybody else, it seems. If you google "fly parking" you just get a lot of information on parking at the airport. :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not from where we came from, Narc was used often in the Midlands, as that links shows it is a word that is used, also "fly parking" is another well known Midlands word, when used most of us know what it means..off to fly park now! as a matter of fact :D for sure the Cypriots know all about off road parking.

I think some here have led very sheltered lives. :lol:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ban- ... -779kdzdt2
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Your own link shows that you are using Nark in the wrong way. A nark is somebody, according to your link, who reports you to the authorities. IE, a nark would report you TO the traffic police. The traffic police on scooters are not narks. they are traffic police. If you flagged one of them down, and pointed out somebody who was parked on a line, then you would be a nark, not them.