Cyprus on EU radar over failure to transpose environment directives

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Paphos Life

Cyprus on EU radar over failure to transpose environment directives

Post by Paphos Life »

By Andria KadesCyprus may be referred to the European Court of Justice over its failure to adapt its legislation on environmental impact assessments, the EU Commission said on Thursday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Varky

Re: Cyprus on EU radar over failure to transpose environment directives

Post by Varky »

The joys of being in the EU.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You choose to be a member you are bound by their directives ................. as they are quick to point out "you cannot cherry pick the best bits"!

Shane
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am Is it not right for the EU to have environmental concerns and safeguarding legislation?
Yes, but check out the number of countries within the article that have not followed the EU directives on the environmental matters and that are on the point of being fined for non-compliance. Still, I suppose they have to makeup the loss of income from the UK.

Maybe if all countries within the EU followed all the directives, the population of the UK might have had a different view of that organisation as it appears that the UK was one of a few countries that did abide by the majority of directives.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm But if countries join the EU club (with all the benefits which come from it) they must expect to abide by regulations which pertain to all member states in a number of key areas. If some states don't comply with the rules and regulations they render themselves liable to be fined...what's so difficult to understand about that :shock:
Make up the loss of income from the UK? Where does that come from?
Expectations and reality are two different things. The comment about making up a shortfall wasn't serious. Perhaps you should develop a sense of humour.
Varky

Post by Varky »

HIC,
Oh dear, a military man unable to spell the word honourable. Whatever next :(
Your snide comments detract from what you want to say, don't you realise this?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm And remind me again how many other EU citizens have had their bank accounts raided? Yes Greece is still a basket case, as is Italy...but their citizens accounts have not been raided...Why, because the EU considered Cyprus a easy hit, ideal to be made an example of..inexcusable which ever way you want to spin it.
Not inexcusable at all. When you borrow money to a company which is going bankrupt it is only natural that you don´t get it back (or only a portion). That happened a lot (including to myself on two occasions) in the aftermath of the Lehman crises. What does that have to do with penalising, making examples etc? Should other countries´s taxpayers have funded even more of Greek and Cypriot unsustainable spending habits?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 am Sorry but am I missing something here? Did I miss the Greeks losing their life savings? You cannot possible compare what happened in Cyprus to "Commercial" practice. The Cypriots were made an example of...a warning to other countries....except the EU would not have the balls to apply the same "sanctions" to Greece, Italy or the likes of Germany!
Why can you not compare it to commercial practice? The banks which were bankrupt were commercial entities, were they not? Had there been no bailout depositors would have lost even more. Hardly a case of penalising in my book. Demanding even more would be like asking for the hand when offered a finger (a finger in this case meaning more than € 10000 per capita, babies and centenarians included). Even in Germany the limit up to which deposits are insured is € 100000.- So if a German bank would go bankrupt only that amount would be safe, higher deposits wouldn´t. Apart from that a bailout of nations the size of Italy or Germany would be beyond discussion as there would be no money for that even if there was the political will.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:09 pmwhy the haircut on innocent citizens?
Because they were in harms way. This is simply how the system works. You borrow money to someone who goes bankrupt - you´ll suffer a loss. Innocent or not.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

To me the injustice was that the whole country benefited by the EU Bail out. But only the customers of two banks were affected by the 'haircut'
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 pm
jeba wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 pm
Hudswell wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:09 pmwhy the haircut on innocent citizens?
Because they were in harms way. This is simply how the system works. You borrow money to someone who goes bankrupt - you´ll suffer a loss. Innocent or not.
So explain to me why the innocents in Greece, Portugal and Eire did not suffer the same fate?
Because their banks didn´t go bankrupt (yet)? Didn´t depositors of Iceland´s banks get a haircut as well (beyond a certain threshold)?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

All the banks in Cyprus didn't go bankrupt. Just the one I believe.
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I cannot see how you read into what I have written that I said, or hinted ' that every single person in Cyprus, man, woman and child should be penalised for the bailout '
You are making it up as you go along...
I would have preferred that all bank customers lost a much smaller amount.
I didn't lose any money at all, but I know some that did. A guy in his 80's had just transferred money into the country to pay for a house.. But of course you say he should have Known not to do that..
We will again have to remain with different views..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Mind you, stopping posting completely rather than just putting a poster on ignore seems a bit excessive.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Varky wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 am HIC,
Oh dear, a military man unable to spell the word honourable. Whatever next :(
Your snide comments detract from what you want to say, don't you realise this?
HiC, You really can't move away from such comments can you? Sarcasm must be in your blood like a drug. Do you behave like this with your friends/family?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Did you mean to quote yourself?
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm Did you mean to quote yourself?
Yes, just wanting to reiterate something I had stated earlier and to show that comments can be made without sarcasm, which we all know is the lowest form of wit. However some fall on deaf ears.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've moved this to Politics, where robust discussion is allowed. People complain to me about Hudswell in HiC in equal amounts. Mind you, quite a few of you get complained about by somebody or another, so don't assume that you two are special. :)

A appreciate that I appear to be talking to various different people in a single sentence, but it is hot and I am tired, having had to dig my car out of a vanishing track near Foinikas. The pool and a shower awaits...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's beyond belief that posters really run to Admin to complain about other posters, for Heaven's sake, it's worse than being at school. We are supposed to be, you know, grown ups. Seems to me it's about time posters started acting that way. If you have something to say, say it, as long as it's not rude or insulting. Some however, seem to think that such comments will win their argument, which of course they never will ! If we cannot sensibly discuss issues, let's not bother to post at all. Some seem obsessed by Brexit, it all get very boring and predictable.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Couldn’t agree more Jackie. When I see a poster being insulting, sarcastic etc I tend to ignore any point they may be trying to make. I find patronising comments rather pathetic and feel it shows a person who has lost the argument so therefore resorts to that sort of behaviour. Sad really.