They have Arrived

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

They have Arrived

Post by Lincoln »

WOW!! The noisy Bee-Eaters are here so attractive and chirping away. :D
All things are possible
Lincoln

Re: They have Arrived

Post by Lincoln »

Hmm I forgot to mention that it was only a pair-Noisy Pair. Well I wonder if anyone else has seen the Bee-Eaters as yesterday once again just a noisy pair. Where are the rest of them? anyone know.?
All things are possible
Varky

Post by Varky »

They are all in Anarita by the sounds of things.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Not good news if your a Bee :shock:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lincoln wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am Hmm I forgot to mention that it was only a pair-Noisy Pair. Well I wonder if anyone else has seen the Bee-Eaters as yesterday once again just a noisy pair. Where are the rest of them? anyone know.?
They are near riverbeds like Stavros tis Psokas, Xeros, Ezousa, where they find plenty wasps near puddles and near farming areas... :roll: and passing my house every evening in large numbers.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am WOW!! The noisy Bee-Eaters are here so attractive and chirping away. :D
That's what I call WOW! :lol: By the way I forgot to mention that there are also plenty near animal farms, like on this pic from Souskiou. There were carob trees with loads of them today, when I had a postprandial walk after my 2 hour fish meal at Timi Beach.. :x

Max
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

We've got about 12 or more around us on the border of Sea Caves/Agios Georgios. Most arrived yesterday, although I've been hearing a couple or so for the last week.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Loads here yesterday, sitting on overhead electric cables. Thought I'd heard them a week or more ago, but yesterday was first actual sighting this year. As soon as I reached for the camera, they flew off to refuel!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

On our electric cables yesterday. First time I have managed to get a shot of them as they are quite shy and fly off as soon as they see you, unlike the house martins and pigeons.

Have never seen as many in Anarita. Hope the local bee keeper does not start shooting them.
P1010048 (800 x 450).jpg
P1010048 (800 x 450).jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
TLR

Post by TLR »

Was feeling rather left out this year since they seemed to have avoided us altogether, and I was walking through the garden yesterday morning feeling rather sad because I'd missed seeing them.
And then, as if on cue......a pair appeared and perched on the phone lines, just as they always do!
What a lovely start to my week.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Yes, there were loads over Anarita at the weekend, made me very happy :D

bee eaters 2018 1.jpg
bee eaters 2018 1.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
bee eaters 2018 2.jpg
bee eaters 2018 2.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
bee eaters 2018 3.jpg
bee eaters 2018 3.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
bee eaters 2016.jpg
bee eaters 2016.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
The last pic is from 2016, also take from my garden.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Beautiful photos, Ams- especially the first two, where it's just taking off, then on the wing!

Thanks for sharing!

AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
Ams

Post by Ams »

Thanks Al, I was lucky with those photos. I've been trying for years to get a photo of them in flight, so was quite happy to get these
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Thanks AMS for those photos. Will not show the last one to the local bee keeper who has hives near our house and whose grandson is very handy with his shotgun.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Ams wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:55 pm Thanks Al, I was lucky with those photos. I've been trying for years to get a photo of them in flight, so was quite happy to get these
Well, IMHO, those two should be published somewhere, Ams. They are absolute classics, and possibly unique! Maybe some sort of Cyprus wildlife board? Perhaps Dom can point you in the right direction?

Cheers- AL :idea:
Gone but not forgotten...
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Ams. Thankyou.

Wonderful photographs. X It really doesn't matter how old they are. In fact, not at all.

Maggie B
Ams

Post by Ams »

Thanks for the nice comments :)

There are some Facebook pages where people can post photos of Cyprus birds, flora & fauna. I posted my 2016 photos there, but I've seen some stunning photos of bee-eaters on these sites, ones that inspire me to keep trying to get a better one. I must have taken over a hundred bee-eater photos over the last couple of years, though most of them are very similar... bee-eater on a wire :) It is nice when you manage to capture them sitting on a tree instead.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I took 150 pics from them yesterday, some with 100x zoom, but I am unsure if I should post some of them, perhaps it is too many birds in a short time... :roll: :?:

Max
Ams

Post by Ams »

I always enjoy seeing bee-eater photos Max, especially if you have some special ones (which I think you might). :D
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

And so do I Max just wish I could send them on to my daughter she would love them but I cannot see a way how from the site. Incidentally I enjoy viewing all your pictures they are magnificent in my humble view.

Dominic I also very much appreciate the scenes you post of your various trips around the island keep them coming please and Thank you all.

Rita
Last edited by Rita Sherry on Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.