Piano verses the heat of Cyprus

Post anything to do with music here. Been to any good gigs? Let us know!
OhSusana

Piano verses the heat of Cyprus

Post by OhSusana »

I'm looking to get a piano, but - I'm worried about it being destroyed by the heat of Cyprus in the summer. I don't want to get a nice Bosendorfer, for it to be melted into little pieces over a couple of years.
Better therefore to get an electronic piano? Certainly the tuning is not going to go out during major periods of temperature change....
Any advice is welcome.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Piano verses the heat of Cyprus

Post by Dominic »

I've got a keyboard that coped fine in the heat. Mind you I brought that over with me. I haven't seen any for sale, though there is a music shop nearly opposite Butcher Boy.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

What a great name you have chosen. I myself am a reasonably aclomplished sax player but moved onto keyboards 3 years ago with a Yamhama. Took lessons for 2 years & to be honest never really cracked it but I think your thoughts on an electronic instrument are sound (no pun intended). I also strum a quitar but have to tune it every time I play. I am not in in the market for a Bosendorfer but there must be other musicians on Cyprus with better advice
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

jagwheels wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm What a great name you have chosen. ...
Thanks. Have you seen the film "Francis Foster Jenkins"?
And the Oh Susannah scene -
Not sure if I can provide a link or not - will try - new to the forum -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKURQAufR68

Actually an old old friend of mine in the scene - but that's another story.

I've got a top floor apt which gets fairly toasty in the summer, so... likely to opt for the electronic version I feel.
Maybe get a jag instead of a B/dorfer. ))
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Go for a clavinova if you can afford it, my son played a Yamaha one & still uses one today!

Shane
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

ApusApus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:30 pm Go for a clavinova if you can afford it, my son played a Yamaha one & still uses one today!

Shane
yeah. .. thanks - looks like that. I think putting a Bdorfer or similar in an apt which would probably get to 40C in the summer with the A/C off would be sacrilige. I don't think I could do it morally. They are such beautiful works of art. So - sadly, looks like an electronic job. Although some electronic pianos are not all that bad these days. They get better each year, even now.