Free Cyprus Book!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Free Cyprus Book!

Post by Dominic »

I was just browsing Amazon looking for items to add to the Book Store I am producing, and found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyprus-as-I-Sa ... B004TP2NHU

A historical account of Cyprus in 1879. It is an eBook, and free at the moment.

_____

Paphos Life is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Re: Free Cyprus Book!

Post by jagwheels »

i found it a fascinating read even after paying for the kindle version a few years ago but as Dom points out it's now free :D
darrow

Post by darrow »

Tried this. Wouldn't allow me to order being outside U.K. Tried Amazon.com but not free on there! :roll:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have a Kindle but have to use Amazon.com as that is where the Kindle came from..
Trev..
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Thanks for the heads up Dom, i've downloaded the book. My Kindle was bought from Amazon UK years ago & never had any problems ordering from the UK. I do use a Nationwide card for payment though but it is registered to a Cyprus address.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I assume that you must have had a UK address for the Kindle to be delivered to :-)
Trev..
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

No Trev, we don't have a UK address, it was brought out by a friend.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, but in effect then it was bought in the UK :-)
Trev..
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I came across this book, “Cyprus, as I saw it, in 1879” by Samuel White Baker a few years ago on Project Gutenberg E-text. I found it fascinating, full of obscure and revealing facts. He incidentally lost both of his hunting dogs to viper bites, (as did I).
Other good reads are Colin Thubron’s “Journey into Cyprus” (1973), and Peter Breakwell’s “ A Walk with Aphrodite” (1998), as well as the classic “Bitter Lemons of Cyprus” Durrell 1957.
Also, I recently found an interesting account of Mesogi written by a native, Alecos Georghiou: "Mesoyi. A Personal History of a Paphos Village". (2013)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

kingfisher wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm I came across this book, “Cyprus, as I saw it, in 1879” by Samuel White Baker a few years ago on Project Gutenberg E-text. I found it fascinating, full of obscure and revealing facts. He incidentally lost both of his hunting dogs to viper bites, (as did I).
Other good reads are Colin Thubron’s “Journey into Cyprus” (1973), and Peter Breakwell’s “ A Walk with Aphrodite” (1998), as well as the classic “Bitter Lemons of Cyprus” Durrell 1957.
Also, I recently found an interesting account of Mesogi written by a native, Alecos Georghiou: "Mesoyi. A Personal History of a Paphos Village". (2013)
I've already added most of those onto the shop, but will try and find the others too. Thanks.
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

I can also recommend 'The Sunrise', by Victoria Hislop. It's fiction, and brings to life the 1974 invasion, the tragedy of what happened to both GC and TCs, and the ensuing fall-out It's a romantic story, with a sad ending, and quite believable. I loved it, some won't.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Q: by Dominic "I've already added most of those onto the shop". Quick link to the shop please?
memory man

Post by memory man »

jagwheels wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 pm Quick link to the shop please?

https://www.paphoslife.com/shop/category/books
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Memory Man is on fire!

I am going to add links to the shop and the gallery in the banner section at the top of the page. That is my morning task.

It was yesterday's task, but I uploaded a youtube clip. When you upload a youtube clip, you get very distracted by all the other youtube clips that get suggested to you, and end up watching crap for hours.

Well, I did, anyway. :)
bellavista

Post by bellavista »

I also enjoyed the Sunrise by Victoria Hislop although it did seem a bit like a history lesson in parts ! Another book I enjoyed along the same lines was The Cypriot by Andreas Koumi.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Best Cyprus books I ever read, in terms of humour, artistic content, building your own home on the outskirts of an Akamas village, local village life, etc, HAS to be the 'Beyond' trilogy, by Sheila Hawkins (and her hubby, Harry).

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...